Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macbeth

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

what questions are people covering for macbeth?? only starting now!

lots of people starting to talk about banquo and his role in the play

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Beau x1

My way to learn Macbeth is to just know 40/50 or so of the main quotes and then you're grand. Once you know the main quotes you can just waffle on about whatever the question is asking you to go on about and then stick the quotes in to support your answer and voila.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Beau x1 wrote: »
    My way to learn Macbeth is to just know 40/50 or so of the main quotes and then you're grand. Once you know the main quotes you can just waffle on about whatever the question is asking you to go on about and then stick the quotes in to support your answer and voila.

40/50? :eek:

I'm finding it hard enough to learn 4/5!

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭snazzy

Lads, it won't come up because the theme of power [aka kingship] came up last year so everyone breath.

I myself reckon it shall be the witches/supernatural or deception.
    I've a sneaky feeling about Banquo/Macduff but I'm hoping they won't come up as there will be hardly anything in the essay!

I'm learning as many quotes as I can and then the idea of images and motifs because they can be used in any essay to reflect the question asked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Beau x1

The way to do it is to get someone articulate to say them for you, and then repeat them to the person until you get them perfect. Works really well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

snazzy wrote: »
    Lads, it won't come up because the theme of power [aka kingship] came up last year so everyone breath.

I myself reckon it shall be the witches/supernatural or deception.
    I've a sneaky feeling about Banquo/Macduff but I'm hoping they won't come up as there will be hardly anything in the essay!

I'm learning as many quotes as I can and then the idea of images and motifs because they can be used in any essay to reflect the question asked.

yeah im hoping for supernatural or deception aswell!
    obstacles was up in the mocks and that was an ok one to do!
    my teacher didnt go into depth with us the character of banquo at all..but he did talk about kingship alot...

if banquo does happen to come up, what can i write about because atm im looking at 1/2 a page!:(

if banquo does happen to come up, what can i write about because atm im looking at 1/2 a page!:(

:confused::confused::confused: His role in the play. How banquo moves the plot along. How his murder served to accelerate macbeths downfall. How he added drama to the banquet scene :confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

pathway33 wrote: »
    :confused::confused::confused: His role in the play. How banquo moves the plot along. How his murder served to accelerate macbeths downfall. How he added drama to the banquet scene :confused::confused::confused:

You could also get a question on his moral decline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭aine-maire

You could also get a question on his moral decline.

Yeah,but I think that came up before though..:)

aine-maire wrote: »
    Yeah,but I think that came up before though..:)

In 1987 wasn't it? Would it be less likely to come up considering it's been 22 years since it was asked?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭aine-maire

In 1987 wasn't it? Would it be less likely to come up considering it's been 22 years since it was asked?

Yeah I think so,but like Macbeth hasn't been on that many years in the meantime has it?
    Like there's sooo many things they could ask that it'd be weird to ask the same question...

I think that a theme or imagery is going to come up, or maybe something about Lady Macbeth and Macbeth's relationship..

Tbh, I'm not learning any essays or notes or anything, I'm just learning the play and quotes really well and writing whatever I think about the question...hopefully it'll work!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I would ADORE a general "Shakespeare creates a dramatic atmosphere through his use of imagery. Discuss" Honeslty I think I'd cheer right there in my seat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Discuss the dramatisation of conscience and ambition in Macbeth

Although Lady Macbeth strives to be unsexed, she nevertheless remains incapable of truly separating herself from her own femininity and is likewise incapable of assuming the horrific masculine role to which she aspires.” Discuss this view.

“In Macbeth the focus is so radically upon the tragic hero that our strongest sense of good comes not from the community but from the one man who has given himself up to evil.” Discuss this view.

Write an essay on the connections between gender and power in Macbeth

‘Although Macbeth can be seen to execute his own fate in the murder of Duncan, he is, nevertheless, the victim of the ‘instruments of darkness’, those unnatural female forces which, from the outset, shape his destiny.’ Discuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

how many marks would u loose in the macbeth question if u dont include any quotes?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭BLARG

awhir wrote: »
    how many marks would u loose in the macbeth question if u dont include any quotes?

a fair amount I'd say. The questions usually (always?) say "in reference to your text".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

hmm better try and learn some so :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Swizz

If you dont back up a statement then its baaaadd.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Garf

Theoretically, none (if the question doesn't specify for quotation).

"Reference to the text" doesn't necessary mean quotation, although quotation is a subset of reference to the text.

Alternative means to refer to the text would be to write very specific narration of what happened, where and when, in the text; however, quotation is the ultimate form of reference to the text, and it impresses examiners (if the quotes are relevant).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Power-surge

I hope Banquo, evil or Deception come up. Christ, if Macduff and Malcolm come up :O ahhhhh

• Advertisement

I hope Banquo, evil or Deception come up. Christ, if Macduff and Malcolm come up :O ahhhhh

Yeah deception would be a handy one. I'd also love a question on patterns of imagery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Pat2107

Yeah deception would be a handy one. I'd also love a question on patterns of imagery.

aww..rumer has it that deception was the question on the leaked paper!!will it come up again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Might be rephrased differently, Pats2107. Wouldn't count on it though.

For Macbeth quotes, is it the same as poetry answers whereby it's better to fit them into your sentence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Claypigeon

Monzo wrote: »
    Might be rephrased differently, Pats2107. Wouldn't count on it though.

For Macbeth quotes, is it the same as poetry answers whereby it's better to fit them into your sentence?

Absolutely, you wouldn't be showing the examiner much about your knowledge if you didn't do it properly. You should be weaving them in regularly rather than spamming huge blocks of quote at the examiner, giving them the impression you don't really understand what it means. Make a statement, back it up with a quote if it's appropriate and make an effort to explain why the quote is proof of your statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Good - don't have to be learning off every damn word then.

Monzo wrote: »
    Good - don't have to be learning off every damn word then.

Naw man. You should focus on showing your flair for English rather than your flair for learning stuff off by heart. For example you show a lot more knowledge by constructing a well-written sentence that shows your knowledge and using a little quote such as referring to Macbeth by one of his many "nicknames" (for want of a better word) than you would by going "Macbeth is a silly man lol - I'm steppin' in blood so deep oh wow I'm like covered in blood I should go over it, rather than go back am I right".

Just remember that you should "weave" the quote into the context of your sentence rather than the other way round! [ ] to slightly edit the quotes, remember. Just make sure the rest is as perfect as you can get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

I heard that deception was a major tip for Macbeth and I believe that was actually in the paper! Just wonder if they're likely to give something totally different on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭SmileyPaul

hopefully they will, wasn't a strong point for me at all, hopefull good old ambition or imagery :P
    *crosses fingers* at least NO examiner will mark the paper hard now :)
    that'd just add insult to a very stupid injury

SmileyPaul wrote: »
    hopefully they will, wasn't a strong point for me at all, hopefull good old ambition or imagery :P
    *crosses fingers* at least NO examiner will mark the paper hard now :)
    that'd just add insult to a very stupid injury

No such thing as a "hard marking" or an "easy marking" until examiners convene to draft marking schemes as they always do. If you're good, you'll still get a good grade. It's the way the system works.

• Advertisement
Advertisement