Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Apprenticeship

Options
  • 31-05-2009 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if some of you would be able to shed some light on my situation. Basically, I'm considering applying for an apprenticeship in CIÉ or anywhere else where there's one going :rolleyes:

I know you'll say it's a mugs game and that I don't know what I'm getting myself into, but I have an interest and an established knowledge in mechanics - I used to restore vintage vehicles (mainly buses & Volkswagens), I often worked in my uncles garage and I still get a lot of the Fiat jobs that come in (because nobody else will touch them :eek:). Motoring is my passion, but a lot of people tell me not to go near it as a full-time career - without giving genuine reason. Most of my family (both sides!) are mechanics and earn a decent living, and love what they do.

I also have an established computing background, I presently earn a bit of money from web design and without seeming big headed I would consider myself quite good at it, but my heart isn't in it. I tried my hand at web development a few years ago and all of a sudden work started piling in, and everyone has been telling me to go for a career in computing as that's where the money is (doesn't look like that anymore :p).

My quandary is do I go with my head and aim for getting a computing degree or do I follow my heart and get an apprenticeship/course in Motor Mechanics/HGV Mechanics?

Opinions from people who were/are in my position would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭landcruiserfj62

If you dont mind doing the following ...

" Car mechanic required for used car dealer. Servicing, repairs, NCT, engine, gearboxes, clutches etc. Person must be able to work with out supervision, meet tight deadlines, diagnose and find faults quickly and carry out repair action over replacement within small time frame. Deal with customers, responsible for maintaining sales cars in forecourt, display, parking, servicing, cleaning, etc, fitting of car alarms, phone kits, electrical items etc. Full valeting and preparation for sale of cars, maintaining customer valeting and wash bay. Person must have a minimum of 10 years experience as a fully qualified mechanic and a minimum of 2 years experience as a car valet, references and mechanic papers required, must have own tools and diagnostic equipment, must be flexible. Only candidates with relevant experience will be considered"...for the 400euro per week theyr offering, as well as being treated to abuse from customers who cant afford to maintain theyr cars....then by all means go for it. Sorry to burst your bubble but thats the reality

My advise would be to avoid making a carrear out of motors, and keep it going as a hobby!! (im a mechanic by trade btw who found a way out lol)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Agreed, its a filthy, thankless, underpaid job. Great to have the papers etc, but thats where I drew the line. And like landcruiser there, I found a way out too. Do you really want to be up to your eyes in dirt & grease when you get older....

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭AWD

macroman wrote: »
    Just wondering if some of you would be able to shed some light on my situation. Basically, I'm considering applying for an apprenticeship in CIÉ or anywhere else where there's one going :rolleyes:

I know you'll say it's a mugs game and that I don't know what I'm getting myself into, but I have an interest and an established knowledge in mechanics - I used to restore vintage vehicles (mainly buses & Volkswagens), I often worked in my uncles garage and I still get a lot of the Fiat jobs that come in (because nobody else will touch them :eek:). Motoring is my passion, but a lot of people tell me not to go near it as a full-time career - without giving genuine reason. Most of my family (both sides!) are mechanics and earn a decent living, and love what they do.

I also have an established computing background, I presently earn a bit of money from web design and without seeming big headed I would consider myself quite good at it, but my heart isn't in it. I tried my hand at web development a few years ago and all of a sudden work started piling in, and everyone has been telling me to go for a career in computing as that's where the money is (doesn't look like that anymore :p).

My quandary is do I go with my head and aim for getting a computing degree or do I follow my heart and get an apprenticeship/course in Motor Mechanics/HGV Mechanics?

Opinions from people who were/are in my position would be greatly appreciated.
    Hard call. Been Working 25 years. Can remember one person I'ave met that said they are completely happy with what they do. Coming from the other side... did my time in the education line... many multinationals later, so on so forth. etc. I am now in the automotive side... (something I remember wanting to do way back when), You know what....just change the sign over the door.... You don't get one chance... you get what you are prepared to grasp. You got an itch that won't go way.... guess you gota scratch it C if it will go away. Don't drop the pc side BTW
    best of luck...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

i did my work experience in transition year in a garage, i was there for 2 weeks and loved it,i was even offered an apprenticeship there,but i was put off by the mechanics, none of them wanted to be there long,and even told me about plans to leave and go back to college,and how they didnt like the job,the wages were fairly low as far as i remember (was 8 years ago)

i look back now and can see it was a bad idea for me and it would have meant leaving school at 16:eek: and the parents went nuts!

it was just odd the other guys didnt really like the job,so if you like working on cars and dont mind the money go for it:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

If you end up following an apprenticeship, put everything into it. There are many extras or endorsements like auto electrics, maths, engineering science etc that are available during your block times. Do them all. They all help.

Get experience, then get out on your own.

I served my time, looked at a lifetime of spannering and thought sod that. I spent many years at night classes, management, finance etc., eventually got that "high flying" desk job, didn't have to wash my hands before I went home...

Ten years on, I got fed up with the 80 hr weeks, months away from home, stuff the six figure salary.

Am now running a smallish automotive sector business, directly related to my trade, it pays the bills and a little bit more, I work Mon to Fri, 9 - 6, have forgotten about it by the time I get home. Quality of life unrivaled.

Only possible because I had a trade to fall back on.

Being a mechanic has many possibilities, its up to you what you do with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

If you end up following an apprenticeship, put everything into it. There are many extras or endorsements like auto electrics, maths, engineering science etc that are available during your block times. Do them all. They all help.

Get experience, then get out on your own.

I served my time, looked at a lifetime of spannering and thought sod that. I spent many years at night classes, management, finance etc., eventually got that "high flying" desk job, didn't have to wash my hands before I went home...

Ten years on, I got fed up with the 80 hr weeks, months away from home, stuff the six figure salary.

Am now running a smallish automotive sector business, directly related to my trade, it pays the bills and a little bit more, I work Mon to Fri, 9 - 6, have forgotten about it by the time I get home. Quality of life unrivaled.

Only possible because I had a trade to fall back on.

Being a mechanic has many possibilities, its up to you what you do with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I really dont know OP.

I served me time as a HGV mechanic and also dabbled in the car end of things.

I mostly do DOE testing now and miss the spanners a bit I have to say. From my point of view I hated working on cars, too small and awkward and the owners are fierce pissy and anal about them too. Give me truck any day of the week. It is heavy work but you will come out of it more skilled and better paid than a car mechanic.

I also have to admit that I prefer to work on the older stuff and this is gonna cause a problem for me if I ever go back to spanners full time. I hate, and I mean hate the fact that modern manufacturers feel the need to shove a wire and a printed circuit board on to every frigging part of the vehicle and a good 70% of the time breakdowns are caused by electronics.

You seem to have an interest in this end of things so it may suit ya. Me I'd rather be doing a hub oil seal on a Hino than trying to fix a broken CAN wire, but thats just me! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

Thanks for the response guys. Really informative. It's great to get opinions from people in 'the game' who know first hand what's involved.

I've been discussing it over with the parents to see what they think and their opinions, they're all for going with what makes me happier at the end of the day and what interests me. They will support financially (if required). It's great to have such understanding parents! :D

I have decided to wait until the Leaving Results come out in August and see what I'm offered from the CAO. If I don't get my desired I.T. or Business course, I'll seek an apprenticeship - most likely Heavy Vehicles (I've most experience with HGV - I know a Leyland 0.680 inside out at this stage).

As I said I already do nixers every now and again, and I have invested heavily in my tools in recent months (only to have one of my boxes nicked from my van a few weeks ago :mad:). If I got into an I.T. course I couldn't see myself quitting the mechanics side of things, as anytime I watch shows like The Garage on the box it makes me want to get stuck into one of my 'wrecks' outside...:o

I've all summer to mull things over anyway, in between Punto Head Gasket and Bravo Gearbox replacements of course. I'll keep you all informed ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,227 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Another aspect is that if you try to make what is currently a hobby which you love to partake in into your full time job then that passion for the work might quickly disappear.

Advertisement