Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer/Broadband Help

Options
  • 31-05-2009 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭

Hi i was contacted last week by my broadband provider to say that i had gone over my allowance for the month which i found surprising,on looking in to it it seems my wireless security was not set and someone in the vicinity had free broadband which was entirely my fault,i have since rectified this and my wireless network is secure but i am still showing to be uploading or downloading quite a bit of stuff my allowance is 30gb which i would never come close going over in a million years,i have also run a full virus check twice and nothing showed up can there be another reason why my machine is using the traffic they say it is,i dont download music or files or live on you tube or anything like that any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

1967 wrote: »
    i am still showing to be uploading or downloading quite a bit of stuff my allowance is 30gb which i would never come close going over in a million years,

How much are you downloading, it's easy to get confused between MB and GB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

What kind of modem router do you have? In some case's it's possible to get it to show you a list of wirelessly connected ip/mac address. So you could see if some one else was on there .

On that note i'd also enable mac filtering on the router if possible.

Are there any other known users of the connection , like family , partner etc
    or do you have more than one pc at home? There are software monitors available to keep track of usage, and some service providers allow you to check you usage every day on their web site.

Hope some of that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭1967

I am tracking my usage as i am on digiweb,when digiweb brought it to my attention that my limit had been reached 34gb had been uploaded in nine days so obviously someone connected wirelessly as i had no security on the router,i have activated security since.Basically before my network was hacked i used roughly 500mb a day download and even less was uploaded since changing settings i am still uploading an average of 2gb which is still way too high,will contact digiweb and see if they have any suggestions as i have not got a clue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

This will show you traffic to/ from your own computer ( i'm sure there's others/better but anyway )

http://www.metal-machine.de/readerror/index.php?page=10

Also have a look here :

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055567450

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Maybe you have a mass mailing trojan.

Or Torrents/emule

Those are the only things that create much upload. Your upload should be <5% of download typicallly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭1967

I think i have found my problem i got a new phone (nokia e63) and downloaded ovi and nokia.com for the phone,i have uninstalled the applications and my traffic is back where it was,so maybe there was some sort of bug on the sites i dont know but things are back to normal.

Advertisement