Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 Terrabyte in 6 years - that alot?

Options
  • 31-05-2009 6:30pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭

As in total data transfered in 6 years, would this be considered alot?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Thats 14gb a month, not that much at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

There are people now doing 1Terrabyte in a month. But 5G to 30G is more normal.

I don't do torrents/rapidshare or such and we average just under 20G Byte a month. Five regular users though in the family.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

watty wrote: »
    There are people now doing 1Terrabyte in a month. But 5G to 30G is more normal.

I've seen users do 1TB a month alright, its not that impressive that they maxed out their 8MB connection 24/7...whats more impressive is where the hell they are saving it all!

Cabaal wrote: »
    I've seen users do 1TB a month alright, its not that impressive that they maxed out their 8MB connection 24/7...whats more impressive is where the hell they are saving it all!

Ya not that much by todays standards. I do about 1TB every 3 months and i dont consider it execesive really. I have seen giga servers doing at a min 500GB per day and 1.5TB or more some days, that might be considered excessive!
    Interesting link about new data created in 2009
    http://www.emc.com/about/news/press/2009/20090518-01.htm

"ORLANDO, Fla. (EMC World)– May 18, 2009 –EMC Corporation (NYSE:EMC), the world leader in information infrastructure solutions, today announced the number 3,892,179,868,480,350,000,000. John Gantz, Chief Research Officer for IDC, explained, "That’s the number of new digital information bits created in 2008. Contrary to popular belief, as the economy deteriorated in late 2008, the pace of digital information created and transmitted over the Internet, phone networks, and airwaves actually increased."
    (...)
    Calculated to be 487 billion gigabytes² in size, the amount of information created in 2008 is the equivalent of more than:
    * 237 billion fully-loaded Amazon Kindle wireless reading devices
    * 4.8 quadrillion online bank transactions
    * 3 quadrillion Twitter feeds
    * 162 trillion digital photos
    * 30 billion fully-loaded Apple iPod Touches
    * 19 billion fully-loaded Blu-ray DVDs"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

I regularly pull in 100 to 200 GB in a month, (I don't use torrents either) so 1TB is easily doable. I actually have exceeded it since last August.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

netwhizkid wrote: »
    I regularly pull in 100 to 200 GB in a month, (I don't use torrents either) so 1TB is easily doable. I actually have exceeded it since last August.

200 gB a month on a residential line (or even business) without using torrents is impressive and a lot of data, unless you dont include rapidshare or similar or you stream HD video online... I wouldnt like to live next door to you ;)

On average, a normal user will download 5-6 GB per month

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

meh, what's normal? :)

i'm averaging 100-150gb downloaded per month for the last x knows how long and not even trying tbh, just not paying attention to it.

was managaing to (just about) keep to 100gb per month on BT, but now i've moved to NTL I'm pulling around 1/3 more in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I use on average 4GB a day (most of the time more than that) - dont download anything..... have several terabites saved and several hundred CD/DVDs which need to be transferred to Hard drives.

I need to filter through my stuff sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

That's kind of low actually ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I would consider 1TB over the last six years as about average or a bit above considering that most places were still trying to get 1Mb/s connection six years ago/

1TB over the next six years will most likely be low as more people get access to faster speeds and higher caps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

what are the power users pulling down for those sizes?
    i average about 40-50gb a month and would pull down tv shows, films and the odd game

linux ISO's mostly, ye pirate! ;)

:D

hmm, seriously tho?

probably just the same as you are, just more of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

I have seen instances of 1.5TB a month.....scary stuff.

crawler wrote: »

Thats alot of pr0n :eek:

But maybe they were just downloading backups of their blu-ray collection. 1.5TB is only 35-40 blu-rays.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

crawler wrote: »

So they buy a new 2TByte drive every month... Actually, this is the inefficiency of torrents. You COULD have 1.5Tbyte of traffic or even more for 0.5T of download.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Dark_lord_ire

lol 1TB a month that nuts lol i could store 3 months of stuff wish i had that kinda of connection

watty wrote: »
    So they buy a new 2TByte drive every month... Actually, this is the inefficiency of torrents. You COULD have 1.5Tbyte of traffic or even more for 0.5T of download.

Inconvienient when you have to seed on an asymmetrical broadband connection yes but hardly inefficient.

it's all about the sharing. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

The vast majority of that 1Tb accounts for the last two years.

Advertisement