Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how much should i write?

Options
  • 31-05-2009 7:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭

Does anyone know how much I should write for comprehension question, or how many points i should have for one? My teacher says to have at least a page and a half. I find it impossible to write that much. I have small writing too. Please help!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Does anyone know how much I should write for comprehension question, or how many points i should have for one? My teacher says to have at least a page and a half. I find it impossible to write that much. I have small writing too. Please help!!!

If you have any sample answers write one out and see how long it comes to thus you'll be able to judge how long you should write.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Gloom

It all depends on your answer and your ability to answer the question.

Hmm, for 20 marks questions, I usually do 4/5 points. 10 = 3 points.

Follow a point/quote/explain format.

e.g. "Was this an enjoyable piece to read?"

- Point: Say what feature is there to make it enjoyablw, (vivid imagery) etc
    - Quote: e.g("shockingly disturbing corpses")
    - Explain: what imagery can do to make it enjoyable. It paints a clearer picture, etc.

This is what I do anyhow.<_<

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I usually make a point per 5 makrs. So a 15 mark question will have three points. If something like "what features of this piece made it good descriptive writing?" I'd say something like "The features of this piece which made it good descriptive writing are X, Y and Z" Then give a few sentences to each of the points, back it up with quotes. Then end it with something like "thus we see from the use of X, Y, and Z, this extract is a highly effective piece of descriptive writing"

Basically structure it like you would an essay, introduce what points you'll be writing about, make each point, summarise what you've just written.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭phic

I always found the key to comprehensions is to assume the examiner is a complete moron and point out the complete obvious for as long as possible. Write what you would normally, then write 3 or four more sentences explaining what you've just written! btw I have small writing too, I usually only just manage a page for a comprehension Q, and I got full marks in that section in the mocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

The comprehensions are the only English section I loathe. Pointing out the complete obvious gets a tad boring.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Write as long for the questions as to how many points they're worth, i.e. write for 15 minutes on each of the 15 mark questions, and 20 minutes on the 20 mark question.

That should get you answers that are about the right lenght. I think I took up 2 full pages using this method.

Advertisement