Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My Football Rankings

• 31-05-2009 7:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭

Here are my soccer rankings updated from last year. I have decided to give the same points to the Champions League as the old European Cup due to a recent thread here. The only changes from last year are that United have cut Liverpool's lead to 28 points and Chelsea have overtaken Spurs.
    Here is the table.
    soccer Rankings.xls

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Should sticky this...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

more for the semis of the CL than winning the FA cup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'd agree with that to be honest. Infact, I'd personally take the semis of the CL over winning the FA Cup.

Then again, not sure I'd rate the European Cup on par with the CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

PHB wrote: »

for me, the fact you had to win you're league to even compete in the European Cup means they should be on a par.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I just don't agree. It just means the qualification is tougher. Once you're in the comp, the actual tournament is much tougher.

If you follow that logic in terms of mathamatical rankings, you're double rewarding a league win.

• Advertisement

I just don't agree. It just means the qualification is tougher. Once you're in the comp, the actual tournament is much tougher.

but nobody even got the chance to qualify back then.

it was tough to win, because to get in you had to win the league, not merely qualify against largely second rate teams.

yes, the tournament itself is harder to win, but to even be there in the first place was damn hard; harder than now. obviously.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

SlickRic wrote: »
    but nobody even got the chance to qualify back then.

it was tough to win, because to get in you had to win the league, not merely qualify against largely second rate teams.

yes, the tournament itself is harder to win, but to even be there in the first place was damn hard; harder than now. obviously.

And it was a knockout tournament of two leg games from the start rather than a seeded league system at the start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,004 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'd agree with that to be honest. Infact, I'd personally take the semis of the CL over winning the FA Cup.

So come the first day of June you would prefer to have a bare cupboard and have been in a semi-final of the CL?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

eagle eye wrote: »
    So come the first day of June you would prefer to have a bare cupboard and have been in a semi-final of the CL?

As a Chelsea fan, that semi final meant far more to me than a consolation prize

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,004 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Clearly at the time its hugely important.......... but when all is said and done at the end of the season, surely its nicer to have a cup than nothing at all?

• Advertisement

in terms of what the game meant to you, fair enough.

but if you're given the choice of losing in a CL semi-final or winning the FA Cup...surely the Cup wins every time?

am i missing something here?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

but if you're given the choice of losing in a CL semi-final or winning the FA Cup...surely the Cup wins every time?

Yes it does, but i'd swap that cup in a instant for another shot at that 2nd leg.

CHD wrote: »
    Yes it does, but i'd swap that cup in a instant for another shot at that 2nd leg.

cool, that's different.

this scenario i'd agree with no problem at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Newcastle 10th????

Is that table based on who the biggest jokes are? You've clearly added a 0 on there by mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

If I knew we were going to lose it would be a difficult choice, but if you offered any top 4 fan at the beginning of the season a semi final in the CL or the FA cup with the result of the former up in the air most if not all would choose the CL

If I knew we were going to lose it would be a difficult choice, but if you offered any top 4 fan at the beginning of the season a semi final in the CL or the FA cup with the result of the former up in the air most if not all would choose the CL
    CHD wrote: »
    cool, that's different.

this scenario i'd agree with no problem at all.

as i said Bubs, if that's the case, i couldn't agree more. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Theres nothing tough about the CL group stages IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Do you think playoffs and automatic promotions should be added? Reading way down at the bottom seems weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,355 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

What are Rangers doing there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

What are Rangers doing there?
    They took part in the FA Cup in the early eighties (1880's)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

Liam O wrote: »
    more for the semis of the CL than winning the FA cup?
    It's a tough one the FA Cup and the League Cup have been devalued somewhat since the Champions League came along and up to the late sixties it would possibly have had more esteem than the European Cup! But when do you start saying the same competition is worth more at different times. It all becomes very subjective then.
    Have to go with the general consensus on that one:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055567304

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Accrington Stanley who are they?

Advertisement