Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Zealand advice

Options
  • 31-05-2009 7:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭

Well. I have a job got in new zealand starting at the end of september and have a few questions about the place for ye.
    1. Do i have to swap my driving licence over there. I have a licence for a car and rigid truck But i have an endorsment on the back it says licence lost on x. date restored at x. court on x. date. Would that cause any problems?
    2. Can you set up a bank account there straight away?
    3. What sort of beer/cider do they have out there?:D
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭fuse

1. You can defo use your Irish one over there (has to be full license), I think you may have to get a proper NZ one if you use if for over a certain number of months though.

2. Yeah, you'll need an address there and usual ID. Had one with BNZ.co.nz & would recommend, nice & helpful always.

3. Lots of choice there, try them all and see what you like! My favourite was Monteiths Original. Other nice ones are Steinlager, Epic Pale Ale.
    Lots of grand cheapo one's aswell!
    Tui, Lion Red, Ranfurly!

Oh and Speights, you can do a tour of their brewery in Dunedin. Pretty good, get to pour your own at the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

1. Do i have to swap my driving licence over there. I have a licence for a car and rigid truck But i have an endorsment on the back it says licence lost on x. date restored at x. court on x. date. Would that cause any problems?

You're allowed to drive on and Irish licence, for up to XXX (I think it's 12) months, (though I think you have to hold an international licence as well - this is just a paper transaction, based on your having an Irish licence, do it before you leave home).

If you're intending to stay for more than XXX months, then you need to obtain a NZ licence. If you've got a full Irish licence, then it's a straight swap (I think: maybe there's a theory test, but certainly no practical test).

However when you go home to Ireland, you CANNOT swap a NZ licence for an Irish one. I think that the way around this is to tell the Irish motor tax office that you mislaid your Irish licence, pay a small fee and get issued a new copy. But there may be a gotcha if your Irish licence has expired while you were away (you can't renew it unless you're living in Ireland).

Hmm ... just re-read your question. All the advice above is for car licences. I'm not sure what provisions there are for truck licences.

Look here for more info: http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/factsheets/56.html

2. Can you set up a bank account there straight away?

Yes. Usual provisos re having an address and ID apply, other than that, far less hassle than in Ireland.

3. What sort of beer/cider do they have out there?:D

Better, and far more varied, than you'll find in Ireland. (Except for the guinness, which is worse overseas).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

re the diriving licence. You don't have to do anything except give them $40 and show proof of address and passport. I got an NZ driving licence in 20 mintues in the AA on Lambton Quay. You also get to keep your irish driving licence. This is for a car licence though.

It's worth having just for the fact that you get asked for ID everywhere here.

Also - the beer here is better (so I'm told, I don't drink it) but the cider is definitely not. A lot of places don't have it and if they do it's quite strange tasting (like weird cidona). Macs have brought out cider on tap that's quite nice but places that do it are not common (hopefully this will change, I love cider!)

I found ANZ a good starting bank because they gave me an ATM card when I opened the account, it was a blank one with no name on it that they activated in the bank. The proper one arrived a week or so later. Having instant access to EFTPOS was great. I've sinced closed that account but they were great to start off with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭esharknz

You can drive for up to 12 months on your Irish license. There isn't a theory test anymore (as of Oct 2008), just one difference in the road rules you might want to educate yourself.

You can't YET swap it back for an Irish license, but I hear there are negotiations ongoing. It would be an automatic transmission only as well from what I hear.

I'm certain you can have a bank account number before you arrive, I'd look at ASB, ANZ National bank, and westpac. I can't recall whether the bank of New Zealand offer this international service, but they did offer decent value in their banking (at least when I left). I agree with it being far less hassle than in Ireland to open an account. I resorted to trying my luck with every piece of paper I had with an address on it.

Speaking of Cider, my Irish OH loved the Magners cider that's brewed in Gisborne (went to the distillery, yum yum!!!!).

Hope you have a lovely time working in New Zealand.

Advertisement