Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poets, and what you can be asked about them.

Options
  • 31-05-2009 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭

What it says on the tin!

Poets like Bishop are pretty easy, but at the same time their question could end up being totally ridiculous, so can we start up a list of possible questions for each poet?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

er... i hope your not going to do the exam on Wednesday..

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

bishops work is like reading an autobiography in the form of poetry/ she offers a huge insight into a troubled childhood and adulthood..discuss.
    walcott i dunno something about the caribean(SP?) they are making the poetry questions a lot more difficult

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Gloom

A lot of the time, the question refers to the themes evident in their poems.

For example, "Bishop is a poet who gives us great insight into her life etc" A lot of her poems are about her when she was younger. Easy.

Keats, being the oldest, the question is probably something like "Why does the poetry of John Keats still appealing to us today" Universal themes and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

strongr wrote: »
    er... i hope your not going the exam on Wednesday..

Eh Whut?

English plz :pac:

Also, Paper Two is on Thursday........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Keats.

Usual why it impacted upon you.
    Romantic Poetry.
    The wide styles of poetry that are evident in his poetry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Oh God Oh God I HOPE nothing about the carribean or religion is asked about Derek Walcott as all the poems I studied relate to the passage of time. I hope to got it's a gerneral "write a personal response to the poetry or derek walcott" or write an essayentitled "introducing the poetry of derek walcott"

Do you think they might be more general, considering this is his first year on the course?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Everything is a personal essay before your pen hits the paper you already have 99.99% of your essay done all you have to do is add the keyword/or address a particular audience into your answer and your home and dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Jam-Fly

I gave an answer up to my teacher a while back, and got 70/100 for it. She said I needed to refer to Q more and use poetic terms.

The referring to the Q bit is fine, but I'm still not rly sure about 'poetic terms'. Any adive would be greatly appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭ImJohn

If it's Walcott's first year coming up than they might make the question easier and make it a personal response question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭haloauto

Well I certainly hope Walcott will appear on the paper with 'Write a personal respone to the poetry of Derek Walcott'.
    Or it could be something like:
    'What impact did the poetry of Derek Walcott make on you as a reader? Your answer should deal with the following:
    * Your overall sense of the personality of the poet
    * The poet's use of language/ Imagery'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Beau x1

strongr wrote: »
    er... i hope your not going to do the exam on Wednesday..
    You could easily manage learning a whole poet or two in a day if you have a natural flair for English, so I don't see how you even have a point.

Saying that though, I'm only learning Bishop. Gambling ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

My English teacher mentioned something about the theme of travel or something along those lines for Bishop. We did Questions of Travel as an extra poem at the very end of the year just in case :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Not the poetry we've done! All my previous notes on Bishop focused on the homelessness/uprootedness aspect of her poems.

Any notes on Bishop over the internet? I'm screwed. Really need an essay or something.

Just from google: http://www.allhonours.ie/node/8146

Didn't read through it, but I've heard lots of people talking about his sample answers. Place to start from, if nothing else. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

I hate when they stick in a letter or speech or whatever

That's like two questions.

I just realised, I was only planning on doing Bishop, Walcott, and if I had a chance, Longley.

But, I wouldn't be able to answer awkward questions on travel for Bishop or Carribean/Religion for Walcott, and there's a good chance Montague will come up instead of Longley...

What are the chances they'll ask two awkward theme questions, do you think (assuming, obviously, both poets come up...)? I realllly don't want to have to do Keats aswell...

Just do one poet, if it was meant to be it will be. The odds are too good on Bishop to do more than one.

I'm putting all my hopes on Keats. If he doesn't come up then there goes my shot at an A in English.

• Advertisement

I'm putting all my hopes on Keats. If he doesn't come up then there goes my shot at an A in English.
    Good man, that's the spirit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

Hah, I've pretty much revised all of them... It's not like they're complicated math formulae or long, horrible Irish essays.

But I left out Adrienne Rich.

God I hate that poet so much... grrr *explodes*

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭snazzy

I reckon it will be

Keats
    Bishop
    Longley
    Walcott

I personally haven't done Keats but I'm kinda of learning abit of Montague just in case.

As for the aspects of the poets

Bishop - Her moments of realisation, childhood and her attention for detail are the ones we;ve kind of looked at. Omitted travel altogether

Longely - Violence really -You know, Wounds, last requests, wreaths, ceasefire, and for a change an amish rug

Walcott - Mixture of everything really. Generally his pessimism in poems like Endings, Pentecost and a bit of Colonialism in The Sailor Sings Back...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭aine-maire

When you're writing a poetry essay, are you supposed to structure it in terms of, "in this poem blahblahblah...in this other poem blahblahblah..." just discussing each poem, or in terms of the themes, like "we see the theme of blah in this poem...and this other theme..." as in showing the different aspects of the poetry??

Keats, Longley, Bishop will come up and than it will either be Montague or Walcott.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

Ya I'm the same, although I was thinking that a lot of the top students are hoping for Keats, well a lot of the ones I have talked to (I'm not including myself in the 'top students' bracket by any means) , but since I would be a going for a B1 in english that my Keats essay would pale in comparison to the other ones handed up, since a lot of the ones handed up would be people going for A's.

I assume the reason for this is that Keats is the best/most complex poet on the course and a good student would be able to offer an amazing answer because he gives so much more to work with than say, Longley or Bishop.

I have Walcott and Longley studied, but I was always hoping for Keats since we first did him, now, however, I'm not so sure. Would I be better off doing one of the other poets and not trying to compete with students who would be better directly?, or am I overthinking it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

You might be overthinking it (I sure hope you are anyway, as far as I know examiners don't or aren't supposed to judge your essay in direct comparison to others).

• Registered Users Posts: 9 cill-bill

since hardly anybody bothers with keats questions they tend to be easier like how his themes still apply to modern life...easy, i heard that adrienne rich is more likely to come up instead of bishop, and for walcott, altough its his first year (more than likely) his poetry is so easy that the question is bound to be hard

best quote ever
    "I had her breast to rest on, the rest is history"
    from "Summer Elegies" I think?

The best quote for Walcott is: "I can see right through you, the tissue of your leaves/, and the light behind your veins" ~ something like that. But yes I like your quote too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭mufc4lfe

Come on BISHOP!!!!!!!(fingers crossed)

Advertisement