Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ride Quality in cars

• 31-05-2009 8:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭

Does it matter? I can't really tell the difference myself between what makes a good riding or a bad riding car. Whenever I'm a passenger in a car, or especially the driver, I never notice the ride. So what I'm wondering is why do auto journalists kick up such a fuss about it?

The Volvo S80 is a case in point. As a car I have found it to be one of the most comfortable cars to travel in and could never fault its smoothness. But for some reason, a lot of reviewers criticise the ride as being 'unsettled', which I could never understand.

So what I'm asking is, how do people on here rate ride comfort out of all the attributes they look for in a car?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

It's an interesting question and you are right, i do think the journos make a huge deal out of it. Nearly everycar I've ever driven has quite a good ride comfort, the real question is how good is the ride/handling combination. Cars that ride well generally have soft suspensions, cars that handle well generally have firm suspensions. Cars that do both well are something special. In the real world though I would say good ride would be much more relevant than good handling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

Drive a bmw x3 with m sport suspension and you will know all about poor ride quality!

Drive a land rover disco immediately afterwards and the contrast is enormous :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Built for comfort not speed! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

You really have to drive a car on a bumpy road to appreciate the vast differences between the average car and a great one like the C6. On smooth surfaces or motorways it can level the playing field somewhat, at least in perceptions. Although they are not mutually exclusive, ride comfort and fine handling generally do not go hand in hand. At the same time put some smooth (enough) riding cars on bad roads and they can be anything but surefooted or poised, never mind understeer or oversteer issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

Mr.David wrote: »
    Drive a bmw x3 with m sport suspension and you will know all about poor ride quality!

Drive a land rover disco immediately afterwards and the contrast is enormous :cool:

That's the thing, I've been in an X3 before and I couldn't really see anything wrong with the ride. I think it was the Sport model as well. It had big enough wheels anyway.

The only time I've noticed a car having a bad ride is my A4 Cabriolet with 17" alloys. It is more stiff than anything, but I don't really care much about it. In most cases I would really have to concentrate hard if I was to know if a car rode well or badly. That's what makes me wonder why it is made such a big deal of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

There are some interesting comments on ride quality with BMW m sport suspension in this thread...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055422881

If you ask me, when you try to avoid driving over cats eyes then you know you've poor ride quality :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

My MK3 mondeo has great ride quality, but the suspension was too soft for cornering.

I think my 2004 Accord it pretty good, nice ride but can handle well. Its the 2.2i-CTDI so id like to try a 2.4 petrol some time :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

If you want something with bad ride quality, I'll give you a spin in my Golf. Lowering a car onto standard shocks (that were basically gone anyway) is not the way to do it.

Even if you drive a Disco 3 on coils and then one on air susp. you will notice the difference.

Lots of cars have bad rides and lots good, but as said above it depends on whether the car is set for handling or comfort, how big the wheels and how small the tyres.

Ie. I can't imagine a Lotus Elise being any way comfortable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭ji

OUr last car was a honda integra thought it was ok till we bought a 01 audi a6 and omg what a difference the audi has serious ride quality so much so you'd be doing 80 and it seems like 50 the honda was/is a bone shaker..

ji wrote: »
    OUr last car was a honda integra thought it was ok till we bought a 01 audi a6 and omg what a difference the audi has serious ride quality so much so you'd be doing 80 and it seems like 50 the honda was/is a bone shaker..

In fairness, I don't think anything in the Audi range is a great benchmark for ride quality...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

VolvoMan wrote: »
    In fairness, I don't think anything in the Audi range is a great benchmark for ride quality...
    Unless your driving an A8 or any of them with variable suspension, all other audis are set for handling over comfort, which they do very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I admit to not really 'getting' the ride quality thing. My Audi A3 Sport is supposed to have poor ride quality but I love it and think the car is very comfortable.

However, compared to my boss's Jaguar XJ6 there is a big difference but I don't know if that's down to more luxurious seats covered with leather or great suspension ;)

Unless your driving an A8 or any of them with variable suspension, all other audis are set for handling over comfort, which they do very well.

With there being a few exceptions, I think Audi's have the worst ride/handling compromise out of all the premium brands out there. The engine in most of them is mounted so far forward ahead of the axle that it makes them extremely nose heavy and handle like the front bumper is filled with lead as a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Ferris

Good example but surprisingly a S1 Elise rides a lot better than an e92 3-Series on M sport suspension and run flat tyres.

With there being a few exceptions, I think Audi's have the worst ride/handling compromise out of all the premium brands out there. The engine in most of them is mounted so far forward ahead of the axle that it makes them extremely nose heavy and handle like the front bumper is filled with lead as a result.

Jezus i thought it handled very good for a car of its size (a6) and very comfortable but i've only had jap cars in the past..

Jezus i thought it handled very good for a car of its size (a6) and very comfortable but i've only had jap cars in the past..

I've never driven a B5 A6, but I have never heard any praises sang about its ride/handling either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

Try the mini copper s it handles fine but it would kill a healthy back in a day or two

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

Ferris wrote: »
    Good example but surprisingly a S1 Elise rides a lot better than an e92 3-Series on M sport suspension and run flat tyres.

TBH there can't be many cars as bad as that beemer, not even this one...

flinstones.jpg

I've never driven a B5 A6, but I have never heard any praises sang about its ride/handling either.

Ah i suppose if it was a volvo it would be great:pac:Grandads car:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Slag Volvo's if you like, but he's right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

It very much isnt. Especially when you've come from the other end of the scale.

The first time I was in his Elise I had just gotten out of my Xantia having changed all the spheres that day. It felt like my teeth were being rattled out of my mouth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Unkel might agree with this, aswell as other "barge" :mad: drivers, but I instantly notice how good or bad a car is with ride quality from using an E38 as a daily driver.
    I'm often shocked at how bad some cars are, the road noise, the suspension setup, the size of wheels and tyres. Small cars make me very nervous when riding as a passenger, I can "feel" how narrow the tyres are, I can hear the road right underneath me, I can feel how the body rolls into corners. Most saloons are excellent however, bar the occasional KIA or the like. Also, for the amount of bashing Renaults get, the Laguna is a nicely refined motor.

Unkel might agree with this, aswell as other "barge" :mad: drivers, but I instantly notice how good or bad a car is with ride quality from using an E38 as a daily driver.
    I'm often shocked at how bad some cars are, the road noise, the suspension setup, the size of wheels and tyres. Small cars make me very nervous when riding as a passenger, I can "feel" how narrow the tyres are, I can hear the road right underneath me, I can feel how the body rolls into corners. Most saloons are excellent however, bar the occasional KIA or the like. Also, for the amount of bashing Renaults get, the Laguna is a nicely refined motor.

How can you judge a car and deem it "bad" just because of road noise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,931 ✭✭✭✭L1011

My van has the best ride quality of anything I've driven, but it is a Citroen car (C4) in disguise so that explains the most of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

The citroen bx is hard to beat for its ride, It wafts along the roads, soaking up every pot hole and rut.

No, I would be the first person to tell you that Volvo have had their fair share a bad handling cars. I would classify them and Audi in the same boat, with Audi having the obvious exceptions like the RS4 and R8. The Volvo 850 wasn't a bad driving car either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

I used to work in a Land-Rover garage and was dropping a car to a customer and collecting the courtesy car. Their car was a RR Sport on 20" wheels and the garage car was a RR TD6 on standard (17's, i think) wheels. The difference was unreal, the sport was crashing all over the place on every bump even with the air suspension and had huge roadnoise from the tyres, the "proper" RR was unreal, it was like sitting in an armchair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

My car has an awful ride, I had back pains for about 2 weeks after buying it. It's fine on the open road but about town...fook me...

I had a spin in a DS once...everything since cant match how smooth that was:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

landyman wrote: »
    The citroen bx is hard to beat for its ride, It wafts along the roads, soaking up every pot hole and rut.

I had one a few years ago, it was great until the suspension broke down,then the ride was incredibly hard with no give at all.

Check out the auto express 2009 survey, the land rover discovery, rover 75 and mercedes E class come in 1st,2nd and 3rd in ride quality.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/driver_power_2008/archive/?group=category&cat=ride_quality

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

mcwhirter wrote: »
    I had one a few years ago, it was great until the suspension broke down,then the ride was incredibly hard with no give at all.
    L]

The suspension spheres are a consumable and are very much a diy job.Stick a new set on and the car is back to normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

Interesting topic. I'm driving an E46 coupe with the M-Sport suspension, and it is *noticably* harder than anything I've ever driven, but it's firm.
    Most people would probably hate it, but I think it's great - sporty, and can really feel the road, but from what I can tell (I haven't checked) it's only sitting on 16" wheels - I'd hate to feel it on the 17"'s or 19"'s I was considering purchasing, and think I'll be holding off for another while..
    Any more M Sporties who have gone from 16's up, how did you find it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I'm not a fan of comfortable driving cars. It's the exact reason that I hate Mercs. Every single time I sit in a Merc and drive it, it's like being in a boat designed for pensioners. They* roll in the corners like nobody's business, and when you hit the brakes, the fronts wallow like Mary Harney on a pogo stick when you're braking, and the steering is so light, it doesn't feel like it's connected to the road and gives you zero feedback.

I'd much rather something that's a little uncomfortable on the bumps but that gives proper feedback and sense of security in a corner.

*Most normal mercs, obviously not the AMG stuff, or the well sorted sports ones.

Stekelly wrote: »
    The suspension spheres are a consumable and are very much a diy job.Stick a new set on and the car is back to normal.

True, easy to do and the ride quality is maintained. There a grand reliable car.

ned78 wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of comfortable driving cars. It's the exact reason that I hate Mercs. Every single time I sit in a Merc and drive it, it's like being in a boat designed for pensioners. They* roll in the corners like nobody's business, and when you hit the brakes, the fronts wallow like Mary Harney on a pogo stick when you're braking, and the steering is so light, it doesn't feel like it's connected to the road and gives you zero feedback.

I'd much rather something that's a little uncomfortable on the bumps but that gives proper feedback and sense of security in a corner.

*Most normal mercs, obviously not the AMG stuff, or the well sorted sports ones.

Thats all grand and well when you live in a town area with smooth good surfaced roads but step out into a rural area with poor roads, where large proportion of our population lives, a comfortable merc makes far more sence and the jarring ride of your normal bmw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Thats all grand and well when you live in a town area with smooth good surfaced roads but step out into a rural area with poor roads, where large proportion of our population lives, a comfortable merc makes far more sence and the jarring ride of your normal bmw.

Agree, try driving in Meath in the AMG:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Biro wrote: »
    How can you judge a car and deem it "bad" just because of road noise?

I didn't say just road noise, and to me road noise is part of the ride quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭mumblin deaf ro

What do car reviewers mean when they talk about steering feel or getting feedback from the wheels - do they mean that you can tell how much grip you have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

+1, I think a lot of boardsies are urban/suburban dwellers. For those of us that drive on real roads ride is important, not just for comfort but all-round handling as well. No good a car being stiffly sprung so it won't roll only to hop and skip if it hits a depression or bump.

What do car reviewers mean when they talk about steering feel or getting feedback from the wheels - do they mean that you can tell how much grip you have?

Essentially yes. Good communication from the steering lets you know what the wheels are doing so you know what they're up to on the road and what the road surface is like. A good communicative car will let you know that you're loosing grip, whereas a non-communicative car all you'll see is the traction control light on the dash indicating that it just kept your car in line!
    Hard to describe to people who don't know what it is, so I guess its kind of like using a drill. If you're drilling into a masonary wall and you're getting all the vibrations through the handle of the drill and suddenly the concrete where the tip of the bit is at changes texture and consistancy, you'll feel different vibrations and resistance from the handle. If you wrap the handle in cotton wool and use boxing gloves, you'll feel feck all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Thread disappoints.

I had a mate who broke a Recaro due to "ride quality" and eh.... "kerb weight" of his "passenger" but that's a whole other story for a whole other section of boards!:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

strange but i recently upgraded myself from a polo 1.0 to a laguna sport 1.6
    and in corners i prefer the polo without powersteering as it somehow gives me more confidence in the corners, i can feel the car pulling outwards and correct it by power, the laguna is a fantastic drive on the road but corners are still tricky as the power steering really is 'overpowering' for the moment untill i get used to it i guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Wook wrote: »
    strange but i recently upgraded myself from a polo 1.0 to a laguna sport 1.6
    and in corners i prefer the polo without powersteering as it somehow gives me more confidence in the corners, i can feel the car pulling outwards and correct it by power, the laguna is a fantastic drive on the road but corners are still tricky as the power steering really is 'overpowering' for the moment untill i get used to it i guess.
    The Laguna, or infact any french car has fantastic seats that really are comfy. steering is just something you've got to get used to anyway.

try hoping out of a french thing and into a Ford C-max. ive been for a drive in one for 10 min and i couldnt wait to get out my back was so sore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

If the steering in the laguna is anything like in the megane its awful! Its over assisted and rubbery with no feedback whatsoever. You can even hear the PAS pump working when manouvering at low speeds. Eugh!

Advertisement