Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to study?

Options
  • 31-05-2009 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭

I am 23 & want to further my education.
    I want to apply as a mature student & don't know what to do now.
    I wanted to study psychology or counselling but due to the expense I don't know what to study.
    Cost is the main thing standing in the way of me studying.
    Has anyone any idea what I can study that won't break the bank?

I plan to study counselling but maybe after I study something & work at that for a while to save for the fees.

This may look like the most generalised question but I would really appreciate a reply.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭xinchao

Hi there!
    There are lots of places to look for information about courses. Try Qualifax.ie
    that's the National database on all institutions. good place to start.
    But i think it's too late for conventional Uni's and colleges.
    You would want to be applying in Feb to March for those as a mature student. You possibly could go the private route and do evening classes...
    another way would be go on the dole for a year and then get the BTEA allowance and then go as a mature student...Fees are coming in next year so you might want to think about that too. Best off finding what college/University is close to you, then find out how to apply by going to the admissions office and talk to someone there they will be able to tell you everything. Depends on where you live and your financial situation and whether you live at home or not...lots of things to consider for funding reasons. But my advice is to find where the best courses are and start there.
    any more questions and i will be happy to help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 jakfrost

A word of caution.I may be wrong but from reading your post it seems like you're just going to college for the sake of it.Take plenty of time to figure out what course you want to do and try not to let cost dictate your decision too much.You say you want to apply as a mature student. If so it's likely that you'll be called to an interview where you'll need to explain your reasoning behind choosing this course.If your heart's not in it or if you can't show that you gave it careful consideration the interviewers will see through you.

Have you been to college before?If not then costs won't be that extortionate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭fifomania

Fees are coming in next year
    :eek: I thought they were only deliberating that!? :eek:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,241 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Go on the dole for 9 months before you go back, you'll get your back to education allowance and should qualify for a grant as long as you aint living with your parents. That should help with the financial side of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Laydee

Thanks for the replies guys.
    I want to do counselling or psychology. They are my number 1 choice but the cost is huge.
    Distance learning is the only cheap route but I think you need to study in a class with your peers to study psychology or counselling.
    I am actually on welfare at the mo so I can apply for BTEA in a few months.
    I have found an introduction to counselling & psychology course that won't break the bank so I'll do that & then when I qualify for BTEA I can go further.
    The only problem being that I found a 2 year counselling diploma course on the BTEA list of approved courses but not a psychology one.
    I would prefer to do psychology & hopefully I'd already have my Introduction course under my belt to show at the interview.

Does anyone know where I could study psychology that won't break the bank?
    Can I apply fir a grant through BTEA even though it's not on their list?

I'm so new to this. I appreciate your reply guys.

• Advertisement
Advertisement