Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ignorance when buying cars..

• 31-05-2009 8:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭

I am sick to the teeth of people who ring me about my car :mad:

Below are a few examples of people who've commented on the car as I was parked up or rang me..

"So how much?"
    "2500 or the nearest offer"
    "2500 for a 97? sure I've seen micras for 500euro for that year, I'm only looking for a starter car for the girlfriend"
    "Then this isn't the car for you"
    "Why not?"
    "It's a gti...."
    "Sure it's small and that's all that's important"
    "Yeah..good luck finding a car"

"How much you looking for this?"

"2500 or the nearest offer.."(knowing excactly how this was going to go.
    "Sure it's only a little 106"
    "Well no, it's a gti"
    "and what kind of an engine is that?"
    "1.6, 120bhp"
    "it's not worth 2500 anyway"
    "then why is it one of the lowest priced in Ireland for it's condition?"
    "Sure I know my cars, I buy and sell them the whole time"
    "Would have known what kind of a car this was then wouldn't you?"
    *This goes on for 5 minutes or so*
    "here, are you going to make an offer or are you going to leave me alone?"
    "I'll offer you 800 here right now"
    "......yeah, see ya"

Guy rings me today
    "You're the lad selling the peugeot yeah?"
    "Yup that's me.."
    "how many miles are on it?"
    "83100 more or less"
    "Ah good good and how much would you take?"
    "jaysus that's too much"
    "*sigh* do you even know what it is?"
    "Sure it's only a 97 peugeot and I know what cars are worth, I'll give you 600 in the morning for it?"
    "No thanks, good luck"

Seriously? Would it kill people to read a description or even look up the car they're trying to buy(gti does mean something :rolleyes:)

So so bloody annoying.
    If someone actually knew what it was and was offering me that money I wouldn't care. It's just the fact they don't have a clue what they're talking about..

I imagine if I was a car dealer I'd end up killing people. :eek:

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

SV wrote: »
    I am sick to the teeth of people who ring me about my car :mad:

Below are a few examples of people who've commented on the car as I was parked up or rang me..

"So how much?"
    "2500 for a 97? sure I've seen micras for 500euro for that year, I'm only looking for a starter car for the girlfriend"
    "Then this isn't the car for you"
    "Why not?"
    "It's a gti...."
    "Sure it's small and that's all that's important"
    "Yeah..good luck finding a car"

"Well no, it's a gti"
    "1.6, 120bhp"
    "......yeah, see ya"

Guy rings me today
    "You're the lad selling the peugeot yeah?"
    "Yup that's me.."
    "how many miles are on it?"
    "83100 more or less"
    "Ah good good and how much would you take?"
    "jaysus that's too much"
    "*sigh* do you even know what it is?"
    "Sure it's only a 97 peugeot and I know what cars are worth, I'll give you 600 in the morning for it?"
    "No thanks, good luck"

Seriously? Would it kill people to read a description or even look up the car they're trying to buy(gti does mean something :rolleyes:)

So so bloody annoying.
    If someone actually knew what it was and was offering me that money I wouldn't care. It's just the fact they don't have a clue what they're talking about..

I imagine if I was a car dealer I'd end up killing people. :eek:

Its a unique car

For the average buyer what do you expect?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

800 and you have a deal. Best offer I can give mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

kearnsr wrote: »
    Its a unique car

For the average buyer what do you expect?

Well as far as talking to me when I'm parked up I can understand that as it may not be obvious but as for people who ring me after seeing the advert?
    Why bother? it's obvious what it is from the advert like..
    Sully wrote: »
    800 and you have a deal. Best offer I can give mate.

lol, leave me alone :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

I seen a couple coming into a garage I used to work at and were giving out about a focus ST - "The price was ridiculous"
    I explained to them that it was an "ST" and they say: "What's that, a diesel?"
    :(

I seen a couple coming into a garage I used to work at and were giving out about a focus ST - "The price was ridiculous"
    I explained to them that it was an "ST" and they say: "What's that, a diesel?"
    :(

Yup! Sounds like the same kind of people alright.

Why don't people bother to learn about what they're buying.. It's really driving me mad. I didnt even want to modify the car but now i'm considering it just so people will know it's not a regular car and won't bother..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Thats the world we're living in, some people see a car as an A to B

device. Dont let them get you down. Modify or be proud to have

a GTI car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

What i find even madder is that you have GTI in the add name, still they choose to ignore this?

It's a lovely car, if i had money i'd be after it.
    Good luck with the sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

CianRyan wrote: »
    What i find even madder is that you have GTI in the add name, still they choose to ignore this?

It's a lovely car, if i had money i'd be after it.
    Good luck with the sale.

Yes but the general public who are not car savy, a GTi means nothing more than just a trim level like GLi or XLi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I was selling a factory and highly specced Laguna and got a phone call from a guy.

Asking me all about the car.

So:

Leather
    Alloys
    Spoiler
    Sunroof
    Dual Air Con
    1. Petrol
    Manual

"Sounds like a boy racer car"
    "It comes from the factory like that, its the high end Laguna"
    "No, I wont see it, it sounds too boy racery"
    "*Sigh, best of luck looking"

Click

Morale of story

People are retards. Everybody except me and you! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

It's crazy alright. The thing is that people have heard in the media that the used car market has gone to the dogs, and despite knowing nothing about cars believe that they can buy anything for thousands below the actual value of the car. And as for the clueless, unfortunately no amount of explaining the difference between an ST and a 1.4 focus is going to convince them.
    I'm in the states at the minute, my first time over here, and there's a lot of Bmw's doing the rounds, and the majority of them are 330i 328i and 325i's none of this 316i crap, haven't seen any with an engine below a 320. I know taxation is different and everything but the difference in peoples attitudes to cars is amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

I'm in the states at the minute, my first time over here, and there's a lot of Bmw's doing the rounds, and the majority of them are 330i 328i and 325i's none of this 316i crap, haven't seen any with an engine below a 320. I know taxation is different and everything but the difference in peoples attitudes to cars is amazing.

Why go that far? look at the UK, way more powerful cars, tax is insanely priced here, so is insurance... and that's all because people are absolutely clueless.

Yea, there are many knowledgeable people on this forum, but the country as a whole? 95% absolutely clueless about cars, electronics.... well most of the things.

Selling a GTI will be a big problem.... so I'll offer you 850.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

Lets just draw a conclusion to this; the Irish as a nation are generally clueless about cars.

Sure in what other countries are the lowest specced, smallest engined models the most desirable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

VolvoMan wrote: »
    Lets just draw a conclusion to this; the Irish as a nation are generally clueless about cars.

Sure in what other countries are the lowest specced, smallest engined models the most desirable?

Makes me sad really.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Best of luck finding an idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

VolvoMan wrote: »

The ones where insurance companies and the government come up with as many ways as possible to get as much money as possible off you because of how well specced your car is.

2 stroke wrote: »

Eh sorry?
    Want to add any more to that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

"Well no, it's a gti"
    "1.6, 120bhp"
    "......yeah, see ya"

i was there for that. that was brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

It sounds like SV has the idiots searching him out, so why would he need to find (another) idiot. What he needs is someone who actually knows something about cars and is looking for a 106 GTi, rather than just a 106 and doesn't bother to read the ad.

Eventually, you'll get someone who knows what they are after.

Eh sorry?
    Want to add any more to that?
    Nice car but not worth €2500 anymore.

R.O.R wrote: »
    It sounds like SV has the idiots searching him out, so why would he need to find (another) idiot. What he needs is someone who actually knows something about cars and is looking for a 106 GTi, rather than just a 106 and doesn't bother to read the ad.

Eventually, you'll get someone who knows what they are after.

Thanks for that.
    That's grand yeah, I happen to think it is.
    As do many of the people who want to swap cars.
    Just because people don't have the money to buy a car straight out does not mean it isn't worth the money.
    Or I mean, you could just look up the average price of 106gti's and see where my car falls in. :)

Also, very funny an email I received there, happened to only come after this thread went up, contents of the email;
    "you'll neevr shift this over priced banger. LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL"
    So that's the kind of members that are on boards alright..fair idea of who it is too.
    Sad sad people.

had another call about the car 5 minutes ago anyway

"Well, you selling a 106 yeah?"
    "yeah I am alright"
    "Would you take 1500 for it?"
    "Ah, you'd have to make a better offer than that, I think it's worth more"
    "Why?"
    "Sure it's not a normal 106 like? it's a gti?"
    "Oh jaysus I didn't even mind that..oh right, sure I don't think I could insure that..thanks anyway"
    "Grand thanks, good luck"

Now, if people were at least like that the whole time it'd be nice but..tis fairly apparent from everything I'm hearing that people in Ireland really are clueless :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Did their name not come up in the pm? Never understood the loooooooool thing either, they're laughing out out out out out out loud?!

You're probably better off keeping it! Nice lil car, always liked em

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Actually GTs sell for around that price, check out autotrader, the OP has it fairly priced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Maybe your mates are taking the piss with ya :p

Grahamo999 wrote: »
    Did their name not come up in the pm? Never understood the loooooooool thing either, they're laughing out out out out out out loud?!

You're probably better off keeping it! Nice lil car, always liked em

Nah it was in an email.
    I reckon I know who it is just from the whole LOOOOL thing, only ever seen one member here do that :rolleyes:

Ok, just for the sake of it I decided to look up the price of 106gti's everywhere.
    The cheapest I could find in Ireland was 1700 that didn't seem to have any problems with it. (There's one for 850 but the gearbox is apparently about to go)

also, the cheapest unmolested and genuine 106gti I could find on autotrader uk? 875pounds, with vrt at 640. (and that was with very high mileage too)
    The cheapest 1997 with my mileage on autotrader uk? £1895.

yeah, my car is so overpriced. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

FWIW the 106 GTi is one of the best handling cars ever produced. :cool:

Good luck with the sale,OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Nforce wrote: »
    FWIW the 106 GTi is one of the best handling cars ever produced.

Fact. It's a ripper of a hot hatch. Pity you have to sell it, but I also hope someone with sense finds you and your car shortly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Willy21

tell me about it, I had a mk2 golf GTD, turbo intercooler for sale in auto trader about 2 years ago and it nearly broke my heart, you would be as well pi**ing up a downpipe as trying to talk to some of the people who rang!! One lad even test drove it, and i mean drove the stones out of it and then said well its a lovely car but i'm not really looking for a car at the moment!! what an idiot, thankfully i swapped it with a mate a while after

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Nforce wrote: »

you left out the kk-

• Advertisement

ha, thanks people.
    don't really wanna turn this thread into an advertising thread though :o
    Willy21 wrote: »
    tell me about it, I had a mk2 golf GTD, turbo intercooler for sale in auto trader about 2 years ago and it nearly broke my heart, you would be as well pi**ing up a downpipe as trying to talk to some of the people who rang!! One lad even test drove it, and i mean drove the stones out of it and then said well its a lovely car but i'm not really looking for a car at the moment!! what an idiot, thankfully i swapped it with a mate a while after

Oh god help you, whatever about the phone calls but as for yer man coming to test drive it!
    What a joke..

but yeah, it is getting to the stage where I may consider just keeping it..

Ok, just for the sake of it I decided to look up the price of 106gti's everywhere.
    The cheapest I could find in Ireland was 1700 that didn't seem to have any problems with it. (There's one for 850 but the gearbox is apparently about to go)

also, the cheapest unmolested and genuine 106gti I could find on autotrader uk? 875pounds, with vrt at 640. (and that was with very high mileage too)
    The cheapest 1997 with my mileage on autotrader uk? £1895.

yeah, my car is so overpriced. :rolleyes:
    Asking prices are not selling prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

UK prices aren't as delusional as Carzone. He also said those are the cheapest listed.

Bear in mind how much more the car would have cost over a normal 106 when new, and get every concept of 106 pricing out of your head as a result.

Unfortunately in Ireland, high spec models of "ordinary" cars seem to be virtually unsellable due to joe public's apparent love of pure plastic interiors, being melted on warm days, seats like knifes, tape decks....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

why are you even in a motoring forum if you have no idea about cars, and sound slike you dont even have an interest in cars?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I found when selling my last car (E30 320i) that people didn't read the advert properly:
    caller: does it have a LSD?
    me: like the advert says - no!
    caller: are you sure? Didn't they all come with them?

I had one person who rang me up and said that they saw the advert and were interested in viewing it. They would travel from Kerry (to Leixlip) that evening. When they arrived the first thing they said was "you never mentioned that it was a 4 door". All I could say was to check the ad again which they did. Off they then went back to Kerry feeling a bit silly!

I recall having a sales rep call (eircon or some other crap service) when I was washing the car once. He proceeded to tell me how it was a lovely M3. "Em its not an M3, its a 320i".
    "It is an M3! I used to own one"
    "I'm telling you its not. This one has two too many cylinders, rear brake drums and apart from the steering wheel has very little in common with the M3"
    "Nah you're wrong!"
    "Whatever you're selling, pi$$ off"
    He didn't want to listen to reason and had this image built up in his head that wasn';t going to change". Most Irish people are this ignorant when it comes to cars (and driving).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I suspect the twat had an M-sport 3 series. Sure isn't that an M3 anyway? :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement