Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English paper 1

Options
  • 31-05-2009 8:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭

I know you cant really study for it but it'd be nice to have a few sexy phrases going into the exam and slappin them down! Anyone got any flowery words/expressions/sayings, etc that their putting down? 'Juxtaposition' is a cert for me! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭happydayz182

anthropomorphism :)

A good thesaurus will help you out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭phic

to be honest I don't think the examiner would be that impressed by "flowery words". One of they key rules to good writing is don't use a big word when a smaller, more easily understood one will do. also it will be really obvious if your trying to work these words in, or if you don't completely understand the context they're meant to be used in. If your looking for tips, google george orwells 5 rules of good writing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭haloauto

Tips for Paper 1 :
    Read the Questions
    Underline key parts of the question
    Make sure you answer every part of the question
    Keep referring back to the question]
    The rest is just personal opinion really....:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

Yeah memorizing pretty language is for Irish, not English. Make sure you've got the basics down, use neat paragraphs and have proper syntax. Have some structure on your answer rather than sentence after sentence beginning with "and".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Tip for paper 1, pick what question b you want to do first, then put a bigcircle/mark on it and do the a part on one of the other texts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Swizz

I know you cant really study for it but it'd be nice to have a few sexy phrases going into the exam and slappin them down! Anyone got any flowery words/expressions/sayings, etc that their putting down? 'Juxtaposition' is a cert for me! :)

Thatll stand out like a sore thumb if the rest of your answers are in simple everyday (colloquial, I think I spelt that right CBA checking) language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Futurism

I'm just hoping I get to use:

"They're humid, pre-possessing homosapiens with full-sized aortic pumps."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

"He moved his hand along her thigh, slowly squeezing her soft, smooth skin, treasuring every second as if it were his last."

I'm hoping for an erotic essay option this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Yeah that hasn't come up in a few years. Though last year or the year before something about "a place that means something to me" came up. It's basically a vagina monologue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Pooner

Discribing a person:
    -Stately plump
    -light untonsured hair
    -showed an unshaven cheek over his left shoulder
    -bursting with money and indigestion (rich)
    -glazed eyes staring out of death
    -overgrown feet which lead him to be anything but graceful on a soccer feild
    -a tall figure rose from the chair where it had been sitting
    -eyes as pale as the sea the wind had freshened
    -the cold gaze that had measured him was not all that unkind

...Ive just given you my best ones, use the wisely and lets hope our papers dont end up with the same examiner;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

I'm so writing an erotic essay.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭BLARG

His stare was inextricabley interwoven with my unbrandished fear. no just kidding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭galway.gaa

what im doin for the essay is learning of a story and then im goin 2 incorperate that into whatever storyline they give you. id be afraid id run out of ideas if i didnt do it and make a mess of it. just wonderin what peoples views are on that...................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Pala!

I pretty terrible at paper one. Extremely bad.

Any sample essays on common topics. Just to get an idea. I would love you, even if you're a man.

Thanks ^_^

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭_sparkie_

what is the recommended time break down for paper 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

_sparkie_ wrote: »
    what is the recommended time break down for paper 1?
    Mark a minute
    Piste wrote: »
    Yeah that hasn't come up in a few years. Though last year or the year before something about "a place that means something to me" came up. It's basically a vagina monologue.

I wonder could like slap down 'An t-Oileáin' there and get a full A1 in your essay/composition. :D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Chanandler Bong

K4t wrote: »
    "He moved his hand along her thigh, slowly squeezing her soft, smooth skin, treasuring every second as if it were his last."

I'm hoping for an erotic essay option this year.
    the term "throbbing member" would have to be fit in to that essay somewhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Pedigogue
    Titmouse
    Mastication

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

"the little leaf floated across the pond, exactly the way a bowling ball wouldn't"

"John looked at Mary, Mary looked at John. John and Mary were looking at each other."

Advertisement