Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opel Astra banjaxed?

• 31-05-2009 8:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭

My 2004 Opel Astra broke down today for the first time.

Kind of just lost power, smoke from under the hood (coming from behind engine it seemed when I had a look) and a rotten burning smell. Then it wouldn't start, not so much as a sound from the engine. Battery is fine. Called roadside assist, told the engine has seized, towed home.

Will be taking it to an Opel dealer on Tuesday.

Any ideas what might have caused this to happen, if it can be repaired and how much this is likely to cost?

As I said its an Astra, 2004 with 78,000 mi on the clock. Timing belt was changed at 54,000 mi (allegedly). Passed NCT 2 months ago, serviced one week before that.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

head gasket perhaps.

if the timing belt went you would have heard a bang and quite possibly have found the belt somewhere near the car if not still in it.

road side assist was nt very informative!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Svalbard

Martron wrote: »
    head gasket perhaps.

if the timing belt went you would have heard a bang and quite possibly have found the belt somewhere near the car if not still in it.

road side assist was nt very informative!

So is that easily (and cheaply) replaced?

Hope to f**k its not the timing belt. If it was, is the engine buggered? The dealer I bought the car from told me the belt was replaced but I have my doubts.

The road side assist guy didn't seem to be sure what he was talking about alright.

Thanks for the reply anyway Martron.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

Is this a g type astra or the newer type, with the g type the timing belt must be changed every 30000. If it is a g type and the engine has siezed on 78000 then your fcuked if your not welthy. good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭10-10-20

So, may I ask, why did you continue to drive the car with the existing belt if you had such deep reservations about whether it had been replaced or not?
    The corded rubber belt in a car is the weak point in terms of the reliability of the engine. It's a compromise in terms of the noise output versus the practicality & simplicity which is afforded by such a solution.

Its the older type, Njoy, not sure about this "g type" business.

The belt was changed 24,000 mi ago.

So, I'm beginning to think a new or 2nd hand engine will probably be required. Any ideas where I can get one and ball-park price?

• Advertisement

10-10-20 wrote: »
    So, may I ask, why did you continue to drive the car with the existing belt if you had such deep reservations about whether it had been replaced or not?
    The corded rubber belt in a car is the weak point in terms of the reliability of the engine. It's a compromise in terms of the noise output versus the practicality & simplicity which is afforded by such a solution.

I had no "deep reservations" until it broke down today!

Now I'm beginning to think that maybe that second-hand car dealer was dishonest (shocking, I know).

Googled around a bit and it seems Astra engines seize sometimes for a variety of random reasons. Has happened to cars newer than mine apparently. They needed the engine replaced. I'm not feeling very optimistic!

Advertisement