Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bought myself a Dslr

• 31-05-2009 8:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,610 ✭✭✭✭

Nikon D60 with 2 Lenses

Whats the verdict?
    Did I hit the jackpot or did I not?

Now to get my hands on it and start shooting some pics
    Then learn how to use it properly :rolleyes:

Comments

Congrats! Best of luck with it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Well done.

The D60 is a good entry level DSLR.

Now the fun begins. If the bug bites it gets really interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

What cabinsail forgot to say that it can get terribly expensive too.... But still fun :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Well done vectra - does that mean we'll soon be getting some motorsport shots :)
    What lenses did you get?

I have a D60 as well, so if you need any help, let me know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,610 ✭✭✭✭vectra

mrmac wrote: »
    Well done vectra - does that mean we'll soon be getting some motorsport shots :)
    What lenses did you get?

I have a D60 as well, so if you need any help, let me know.

Hey mrmac
    Hows it going.
    If you click this link HERE YOU GO you will see exactly what i got.;)

As for motorsport shots..!!
    Dont know yet what events i may attend but must get the cobwebs off myself first as I am a bit rusty.
    It is 18 years since i had my last slr. ( pentax me Super )
    Lets see if I remember anything.

Thanks for the well wishes lads :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Doh! Missed the link in your first post!

The 18-55VR is a handy lense to have, and gives some great results. I leave it on my D60 all the time.

The 55-200 is a very useful range, but tbh, it may be a little slow for fast motorsports. Should be ok though for slow moving rally cars ;)

I mean, if you catch them at the apex of bends etc.... :D

mrmac wrote: »
    Doh! Missed the link in your first post!

The 18-55VR is a handy lense to have, and gives some great results. I leave it on my D60 all the time.

The 55-200 is a very useful range, but tbh, it may be a little slow for fast motorsports. Should be ok though for slow moving rally cars ;)

I mean, if you catch them at the apex of bends etc.... :D

Yeah,
    I thought it might be fine for starting off and then upgrade to a better one.
    Might do for a drift event

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

If you were used to PENTAX, especially ME Super, you won't have any problems at all with any DSLR. Only the awkward position of controls on Nikons... I just cannot understand why is everything in incorrect places :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

landyman wrote: »
    What cabinsail forgot to say that it can get terribly expensive too.... But still fun :D

I did not "forget" ...... just omitting that bit of the joy. :pac:

CabanSail wrote: »
    I did not "forget" ...... just omitting that bit of the joy. :pac:

Dont worry guys
    I am well used to costly "Hobbys"

70' - 80's got stuck up in Hi-fi spending
    80 - 90's Got stuck in the SLR spending
    90 - 00 Got stuck into starting a family Costly >>> :eek:
    03 - present Got stuck in Radio Control racin with my son "" MEGA COSTLY" :o
    New spending hobby - Dslr

• Advertisement

All you need now is Sailing!

You should try Aviation. It's really expensive ..... but your first Solo is worth it. Just wish someone had a camera when I did mine, the grin would have been huge.

All you need now is Sailing!
    CabanSail wrote: »
    You should try Aviation. It's really expensive ..... but your first Solo is worth it. Just wish someone had a camera when I did mine, the grin would have been huge.

Maybe I should put in an application for my own F1 team next season.. it only €40 Million :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

i only got my first DSLR friday, got the D60 also, although i got a 55-300mm lense instead of the 200mm one you got, also got a bag that hold sthe lot and a 4GB memory card, and i paid 730 Euro for that,

im asumeing you paid the £370 thats on the page, if you did thats a great deal, i should have looked harder:o

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

don ramo wrote: »
    i only got my first DSLR friday, got the D60 also, although i got a 55-300mm lense instead of the 200mm one you got, also got a bag that hold sthe lot and a 4GB memory card, and i paid 730 Euro for that,

im asumeing you paid the £370 thats on the page, if you did thats a great deal, i should have looked harder:o

dear lord... that wasnt cheap....

Yup
    Got the lot for £370 Plus P&P

Did you buy that out of conns cameras by any chance? You could have bought a d90 or a second hand d300 for that money!

You may be able to return it if you feel like you got ripped off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,614 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

you can get a d60 off amazon with 18-55 lens new for about 450 euro at moment, or jessops for a bit cheaper.
    Or Argos have a canon 450d with 18-55 on offer at 514 euro at moment, excellent price as its 520pounds plus delivery on amazon

TheDriver wrote: »
    you can get a d60 off amazon with 18-55 lens new for about 450 euro at moment, or jessops for a bit cheaper.
    Or Argos have a canon 450d with 18-55 on offer at 514 euro at moment, excellent price as its 520pounds plus delivery on amazon

i saw that one on amazon, i was gonna get it, but said id get the 55-300mm lense also,

the D60, with just the 18-55mm lense was 540 Euro in the shop, so the 55-300mm lense was 190 Euro (its 160 on amazon), i didnt think it was expensive after looking at differnt ones online,

i saw the D60 here, it was 80 Euro cheaper, but had a 200mm lense instead of the 300mm lense, the one i got was in a shop up the road, rather than a warehouse 2000 miles away (you gotta ask how much its worth to you to have it local),

but that deal for 430 Euro (i done the conversion on what she paid) is great, im still happy though and dont feel like i was ripped off,

i checked various sites, in europe and america, and found that when buying a DSLR your gonna pay either way, there not cheap

^ what 55-300mm are you looking at? Sure it was not the 55-200? I'm not aware of any 55-300 but maybe the nikon shooters will be able to inform us.....

• Advertisement

^ what 55-300mm are you looking at? Sure it was not the 55-200? I'm not aware of any 55-300 but maybe the nikon shooters will be able to inform us.....
    sorry its a 70-300mm lense

Not sure if there any filters with this but did I read somewhere that one should keep a UV filter on the lens at all times?

Depends. They act as insurance for the lens stopping it from begin scratched, but they degrade quality somewhat, so some people use them, some dont.

Depends. They act as insurance for the lens stopping it from begin scratched, but they degrade quality somewhat, so some people use them, some dont.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭greeneyedspirit

D60, good choice for a first DSLR. I had the D50 when I started going digital, and it served me very very well for a long time.
    Have fun with it!

Arrived today.
    Happy with the kit I got anyway.
    Now to figure it all out :D

Anyone got any start off settings other than auto for general photos ?

Set it for P and mess about, then set it for auto and shoot the same. Thats how I started and I soon learned what the little buttons and dials all did on the d90 (I didn't have a manual though!).

Set it for P and mess about, then set it for auto and shoot the same. Thats how I started and I soon learned what the little buttons and dials all did on the d90 (I didn't have a manual though!).

Cool
    Thanks

vectra wrote: »
    Cool
    Thanks

I just messed around with the different settings and kept comparing them to the 'auto' settings. Its probably not the best way to learn but you quickly see what effects the settings have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭DutchGuy

I would suggest using aperture priority mode a lot - it gives a lot more creative control and photos will still be exposed properly. Just keep an eye out on the shutter speed the camera selects to make sure that it doesn't drop below a level where you can handhold (roughly 1/focal length seconds).

Start taking the same photo with varying apertures and you'll get used to it very quickly. Remember low aperture numbers mean that less of your picture will be in focus, which can be used to creative effect.

Hope that makes some degree of sense.

DutchGuy wrote: »
    I would suggest using aperture priority mode a lot - it gives a lot more creative control and photos will still be exposed properly. Just keep an eye out on the shutter speed the camera selects to make sure that it doesn't drop below a level where you can handhold (roughly 1/focal length seconds).

Start taking the same photo with varying apertures and you'll get used to it very quickly. Remember low aperture numbers mean that less of your picture will be in focus, which can be used to creative effect.

Hope that makes some degree of sense.

Yes
    I understand ( well. Must refresh it in my mind ) Depth of field and shutter speeds.;)

Advertisement