Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anvil....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

If only they wern't on the same time as slipknot/prodigy @ the download festival I might of went to see them :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

If only they wern't on the same time as slipknot/prodigy @ the download festival I might of went to see them :rolleyes:

Yeh... I'm more upset about the hasty selling out. But then again after eating s**t for twenty years I'm sure they have earned the break.

Dammit lips and Rob.... I cared

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

I was looking forward to it myself. Press & promotion? That's pretty lame...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

meh, probably sold sweet **** all tix, and thats why they cancelled.

As musician im sure they would prefer a crowd that apreciates their music.
    Not a crowd thats there because they feel sorry for them.

IMO

kona wrote: »

As musician im sure they would prefer a crowd that apreciates their music.
    Not a crowd thats there because they feel sorry for them.

IMO

In fairness, thats probably going to be the case for most gigs.

I did enjoy 'this is thirteen' though

• Advertisement

efla wrote: »
    In fairness, thats probably going to be the case for most gigs.

I did enjoy 'this is thirteen' though

gigs in general or just anvil? Id say their fan base has grown, and thats fans who apreciate their music.

I was going to go to this but, If the crowd had no interest in the music then in fairness the gig would have been **** anyways.

gigs in general or just anvil? Id say their fan base has grown, and thats fans who apreciate their music.

I was going to go to this but, If the crowd had no interest in the music then in fairness the gig would have been **** anyways.

Sorry, just for anvil!

I cant imagine anyone other than a minority hardcore fanbase/movie sympathisers attending

efla wrote: »
    Sorry, just for anvil!

I cant imagine anyone other than a minority hardcore fanbase/movie sympathisers attending

Personally I go to a gig if it looks fun and is the type of music im into. Just because they arnt big and havnt sold a gazillion albums doesnt mean that they are rubbish(goes for any band).

So, Id imagine that considering its a metal gig, there would be a few metal heads at it who would appreciate the tunes, possibly outnumbering the skulls there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

To be honest I would have had more respect for them if that was their excuse.

Ah well, I've already received my refund...

peter1892 wrote: »
    To be honest I would have had more respect for them if that was their excuse.

Ah well, I've already received my refund...

The reason they went from playing with huge bands to nothing is quite clear. BAD MANAGEMENT. Its evident in the film, and its evident in everything they do. I went onto their website after I saw the film, Its not well designed. Id have thought that would have been a priority to have a online store to capitalize of their popularity. They didnt.

There is nothing worse than playing to a crown of 10 people who dont give a **** about the tunes. It was a ****ty thing to cancel so late but what can ya do? I blame the management and not the band.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

POLAND ALL OVER AGAIN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭dez_warlock

Only saw the documentary the other night having never even heard of these guys before.

While there's no doubt they have suffered from bad management, I really didn't think the songs were particularly great either. Just seemed like very generic 80's thrash to me and they didn't seem to have any redeeming features.

The main guy sounded awful in the studio and acts like he's still 15. Good documentary though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭ladystrange

Anvil were a brilliant band in their time. A lot of the big boys, ie Metallica Megadeth etc, have included them in their lists of influences. They should have made the big time back then but just never seemed to do it. Probably is down to bad management. Its a real shame, feck knows where they'd be now!!

I loved them then & still do, cant wait to see the documentary. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Great film, and gotta say I have a lot of respect for those guys, they make music for its own sake and don't give a fck what anyone else thinks, kudos to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

Had a ticket for this myself and was looking forward to it. Given that the press release for the cancellation claimed they were doing "press & promotion" it's probably for the dvd release this week but it's still bad form.

Advertisement