Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Failing Maths

Options
  • 31-05-2009 9:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭

I was told by two people that if you fail Maths you fail your whole Leaving Cert. I have never heard anything of that before and it sounds ridiculous.

You are not going to fail your whole leaving cert if you fail one subject!

I think people are confusing it with going to college and their minimum requirements. Most college have a minimum requirment that a student passes maths and english or Irish.

What is this malarkay about failing a leaving cert?

Comments

You can't fail your Leaving Cert.

You can just fail to meet minimum entry requirements for a particular college course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭ImJohn

Your friend is right I think, and that is why I'm doing pass. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭9wetfckx43j5rg

No teacher had every told me that and I can't find a thing about it on the examinations website! Surely it would be the first thing we would be told if it were true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

I don't have any written evidence but I've always thought that to be the way....hence the reason why I'm doing pass aswell

I asked my sister who is a Home Ec teacher and she says its to do with College requirements not the leaving cert.

• Advertisement

ImJohn wrote: »
    Your friend is right I think, and that is why I'm doing pass. ;)

Her friend isn't right.
    No teacher had every told me that and I can't find a thing about it on the examinations website! Surely it would be the first thing we would be told if it were true.

Don't worry about it. If you fail, and your course's (or college) entry requirement doesn't specify that you need a particular grade (i.e. a pass or whatever), then you'll be ok. But, make sure to check with the particular college and course, as some do require that you pass maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Jam-Fly

Well like, what does 'fail the leaving cert' mean?

You can't really get into any college if u fail maths. No employer will employ because you have a leaving certificate that doesn't include a pass in maths (if the employer was to hire you, they'd probably hire if you had no leaving cert).

Maybe you don't fail the leaving cert if you fail maths, but having that certificate is about as valuable as having a Junior Certificate.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,672 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

You don't fail the leaving, it's the fact that most courses have Maths as a minimum requirement that you won't get a lot of courses.

So its def to do with going to college, not that if you fail maths no other subject grade will matter.

So its def to do with going to college, not that if you fail maths no other subject grade will matter.

Exactly. Infact, maths isn't even a compulsary subject for the Leaving Cert. The only compulsary subject is Irish. After Irish, it's completely down to the specific college and faculty, really.

• Advertisement

Yes for general college requirements its english and maths they want you to pass, however at least one course in dcu accepts a pass in either english or irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

Mr.S wrote: »

without maths you can't do any course at 3rd level.

Same goes for English.

you can do a good few courses in ucc without maths. check them out on www.qualifax.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭loveissucide

Some Arts will take you I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Sigh. Startin' to get tired of puttin' up the same ol' post up the whole time.
    ;)
    Here we go again:

For NUI colleges:
    There is no maths requirement for the following faculties:
    • Arts
    • Human Sciences
    • Philosophy
    • Celtic Studies
    • Law
    • Social Science

So, for those faculties, you need Irish, English, a third language and three other passes, (and you can count foundation level maths as one of those passes).

The above information is from the NUI entry regulations, but you should double-check with the college of your choice.

The full document concerning entry regulations is linked here: http://www.nui.ie/college/docs/matricRegs0809Eng.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

why so negative people?!
    Focus on passing, not failing :D
    If it don't go to plan, sure you did your best, it's all good!
    Just check your courses, practice your maths and do the exam. After that it's out of your hands :p

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

i like the way yyer thinkin!

Advertisement