Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

is it illegal to....?

• 31-05-2009 9:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering....

i have always wanted to drive something with no doors on it. a friend of mine has a jeep that the door needs replacing and was wondering is it illegal to drive with no door?

he was goin to take it off and i thought in the mean time i could take it for a spin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭rotinaj

I would assume that no door would make the car unroadworthy. Not too sure tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

like the old jeep wranglers you could remove the doors fairly handy .

i wonder what constitutes as a door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Martron wrote: »

i have always wanted to drive something with no doors on it.

Is it just me or is that a strange "want"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭rotinaj

i have always wanted to drive something with no doors on it.

Motorbike not do ya?

ah it might be strange but thought it would be cool.

but are doors a legal requirement?

• Advertisement

d3mon24 wrote: »
    Motorbike not do ya?

scared out of my skin in motorbikes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Try a quad :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

But not falling out of a jeep?? ;)

But not falling out of a jeep?? ;)

i was removing the doors not the seatbelts :)

Does nobody else think that would be a bit of craic or am i on my own?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,931 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You're on your own.

The vehicle would not be roadworthy so it would not be legal on public roads.

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »
    You're on your own.

The vehicle would not be roadworthy so it would not be legal on public roads.

is there some place i can look this up. because the dumpers we use in work have no doors but are road worty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Are doors covered in the vehicles NCT?
    If so I don't think you can drive it without them.

i cant find anything on the internet about what is required for a road worthy vehicle.

take for example a caterham 7 they dont technially have doors so does that make them not road worthy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭kindalen

drove a few wranglers without doors,its actually a bit weird...but i have to agree with martron when i say it was good craic.going down interstate with no roof or doors.kept the windscreen up though,not a huge fan of flys in teeth look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

So, if something gets caught in the slip stream and enters the car and hits someone?

While you can use this argument with an argument against motorbikes, the slipstream of a motorbike is known, the slipstream of "most of a jeep" is not.

I also suspect that handling may be off at speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

This was discussed before- Under the Road Traffic Act, a car has to be fitted with doors which can be securely closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

This was discussed before- Under the Road Traffic Act, a car has to be fitted with doors which can be securely closed.

please show where - as mentioned, the likes of Caterhams/Lotus' etc don't have them, so you're saying these are not legal ? Don't think so.......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

the dumpers we use in work have no doors but are road worty
    There's a big difference between a vehicle which was designed without doors ( eg cabless tractors, road rollers, forklift trucks etc.)and removing the doors from one which is supposed to have them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

BMW C1 sidecar outfit. :)

400x334_02-65_-_400.jpg

Advertisement