Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bring Back Matty Johns, all should be forgiven

• 31-05-2009 10:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭

For those who dont know him Matty Johns is a rugby league legend who retired from playing a number of years ago

Absolutely incredible bloke, he and his brother andrew Johns were two of the worlds best players and both gave up their time in October last year to help the Irish Team at the Rugby LEague World Cup

Matty has been let go by the Footy show and I think Channel 9 in Australia as a result of a story breaking about something that happened when he was a player 7 years previously

Allegedly he was involved in a sex act with a girl involving other players from his team, investigated by police at that time (7 years ago) and no charges filed

Story released recently and the end result he has lost his job, he went on air for an interview with his wife and apologised again to all involved but apparently that was not enough

How much punishment can you get for a "crime" that was investigated by police and not prosecuted

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

drzhivago wrote: »
    For those who dont know him Matty Johns is a rugby league legend who retired from playing a number of years ago

Absolutely incredible bloke, he and his brother andrew Johns were two of the worlds best players and both gave up their time in October last year to help the Irish Team at the Rugby LEague World Cup

Matty has been let go by the Footy show and I think Channel 9 in Australia as a result of a story breaking about something that happened when he was a player 7 years previously

Allegedly he was involved in a sex act with a girl involving other players from his team, investigated by police at that time (7 years ago) and no charges filed

Story released recently and the end result he has lost his job, he went on air for an interview with his wife and apologised again to all involved but apparently that was not enough

How much punishment can you get for a "crime" that was investigated by police and not prosecuted

While I don't think someone's personal life should be held against them, and though it's not really the point in this case, but any pro athlete doing those things is a complete idiot.
    Unfortunately anything other than missionary-position sex is a big no-no with the media (unless that's the person's claim to fame) and Johns knew that when he signed up with Channel 9. Not sure I'd call his sacking fair, but firstly I'm sure he won't be broke anytime soon, and secondly the show just wouldn't have worked with him still on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Flairpinnedme

Channel 9 had to do it for image reasons, like they did with Sam Newman on the AFL footy show. Matty will be back in no time, once people forget about it.

Advertisement