Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Session time increase?

Options
  • 31-05-2009 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭

I think boards.ie could do with increasing the time before they log a user out of a session. I always copy+c now when I have typed a post so as not to lose it if I happen to get logged out before I click submit. It has happened on numerous occasions when I type a decent size post I find I have been logged out when I click submit. I also often see people posting stuff along the lines of 'I had a long reply written but I lost it somehow so here's a summary of what I was going to post'....these people have also obviously fallen victim to being logged out while writing posts. So could the session time be increased?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Looking for another 5mins?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I believe there are server performance issues to take into account with longer session lengths, hopefully the dev's will let us know about that side of it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I think boards.ie could do with increasing the time before they log a user out of a session. I always copy+c now when I have typed a post so as not to lose it if I happen to get logged out before I click submit. It has happened on numerous occasions when I type a decent size post I find I have been logged out when I click submit. I also often see people posting stuff along the lines of 'I had a long reply written but I lost it somehow so here's a summary of what I was going to post'....these people have also obviously fallen victim to being logged out while writing posts. So could the session time be increased?

Just to let you know, if you hit backspace it will take you back to the post reply screen and everything you've written should still be there. That doesn't work if you use the quick reply box though.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Use the "Remember Me" box and be mindful to log out of the machine if you're not the only person with access to your account on it.

I have no idea of the realistic physical repercussions of increased session length, I presume the vBulletin defaults are for security reasons more than technical ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

As CuLT said, if you tick "Remember me" when logging in then you won't have those problems. (Just remember to log out before letting anyone else use your computer.)

If you don't want to tick "Remember me" or if you forget, then clicking "Preview Post" every few minutes when you're writing a long post should stop you from getting logged out.

The current session time is 15 minutes. This means that 15 minutes of inactivity will cause your session to time out. Increasing that timeout by any non-trivial amount could (in theory) cause a performance issue as the session table in the database is read at least once per page view.

Increasing the session time does have security implications (more for the users than for boards.ie TBH). If you don't log off and someone else uses your computer to access boards.ie within 15 minutes of your last action, they get full access to your account. Increasing the session time increases that window of opportunity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

If your writing a long message and you get the login screen when you press post, just login and said message will be posted like normal.

Advertisement