Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ozzy sues Tonni Iommi over ownership of sabbath name.

• 31-05-2009 10:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/ozzy_osbourne_sues_tony_iommi_over_ownership_of_black_sabbath_name.html

Statement from OZZY OSBOURNE:

“It is with great regret that I had to resort to legal action against my long term partner, Tony Iommi, but after three years of trying to resolve this issue amicably, I feel I have no other recourse. As of the mid-1990’s, after constant and numerous changes in band members, the brand of "Black Sabbath" was literally in the toilet and Tony Iommi (touring under the name Black Sabbath) was reduced to performing in clubs. Since 1997 when Geezer, Bill and myself rejoined the band, Black Sabbath has returned to its former glory as we headlined sold-out arenas and amphitheatres playing to upwards of 50,000 people at each show around the world. We worked collectively to restore credibility and bring dignity back to the name “Black Sabbath” which lead to the band being inducted into the UK and US Rock & Roll Hall of Fames in 2005 and 2006, respectively. Throughout the last 12 years, it was my management representatives who oversaw the marketing and quality control of the “Black Sabbath” brand through OZZFEST, touring, merchandising and album reissues. The name "Black Sabbath" now has a worldwide prestige and merchandising value that it would not have had by continuing on the road it was on prior to the 1997 reunion tour. Tony, I am so sorry it’s had to get to this point by me having to take this action against you. I don’t have the right to speak for Geezer and Bill, but I feel that morally and ethically the trademark should be owned by the four of us equally. I hope that by me taking this first step that it will ultimately end up that way. We’ve all worked too hard and long in our careers to allow you to sell merchandise that features all our faces, old Black Sabbath album covers and band logos, and then you tell us that you own the copyright. We’re all in our 60’s now. The Black Sabbath legacy should live on long after we have all gone. Please do the right thing.”

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭iseethelight

What a decrepit joke Ozzy is. Its like the article said their jealous of Heaven and Hells success. Iommi kept the Sabbath name alive in the 80's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Its So Easy

What a decrepit joke Ozzy is. Its like the article said their jealous of Heaven and Hells success. Iommi kept the Sabbath name alive in the 80's.

I've an awful feeling that sharon is pushing this. She is the daughter of Don Arden FFS. From what I've read about him he wasn't that sound of a man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭iseethelight

I've an awful feeling that sharon is pushing this. She is the daughter of Don Arden FFS. From what I've read about him he wasn't that sound of a man.

I agree if this isn't a Sharon publicity stunt/fit of jealousy I don't know what is. The decrepit Ozzy in my earlier post refers to the fact hes incapable of doing anything to stop her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

I'd tend to agree here. Sharon is every bit as vengeful and vile as her father was. And if you ever hear her mention him in interviews, you can tell that the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Hold on a second, he might think that the Black Sabbath brand "was literally in the toilet", but didn't Iommi buy the rights to the Black Sabbath name from Geezer, Ward and Ozzy in the mid-80's?

What a joke Ozzy is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Leprachaun

You hate to see that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

Hold on a second, he might think that the Black Sabbath brand "was literally in the toilet", but didn't Iommi buy the rights to the Black Sabbath name from Geezer, Ward and Ozzy in the mid-80's?

What a joke Ozzy is.

I thought they had a deal alright, but this looks like its about to get messy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I suppose that Brand Osbourne was not getting the publicity it wants, so this is a way to get back into the spotlight.

Ozzy has been a joke for years and that wife of his is just a spotlight seeking leech.

Well done Ozzy, you have done a great job in tarnishing your own legacy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Its So Easy

gucci wrote: »
    I thought they had a deal alright, but this looks like its about to get messy.

I might be wrong but I heard somewhere that toni owns the name but there is some crap about them not being able to use the sabbath name without ozzy in the band. That might be the reason they aren't using it with dio now.

I might be wrong but I heard somewhere that toni owns the name but there is some crap about them not being able to use the sabbath name without ozzy in the band. That might be the reason they aren't using it with dio now.

Yep, that was mentioned at a press conference for Heaven And Hell before the album came out. Iommi made a comment that it was not worth the hassle of having to go through the Osbournes in order to use the Black Sabbath name for the release, and that even without the name, everybody knew that Heaven And Hell were still Black Sabbath.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Mac Masters

Yeah I read about this earlier today, the worst thing was that he said his singing was the reason for theirsuccess. And now he wants 50% in interest from the trademark and some of Iommi's profits! :eek: It's just terrible when bands disintegrate and it becomes all about the money, no loyalty or friendship! So many bands have gone this way. So sad! :(

Yeah I read about this earlier today, the worst thing was that he said his singing was the reason for theirsuccess. And now he wants 50% in interest from the trademark and some of Iommi's profits! :eek: It's just terrible when bands disintegrate and it becomes all about the money, no loyalty or friendship! So many bands have gone this way. So sad! :(

Well there is no better pair for making it all about the money than Mr and Mrs Osbourne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Mac Masters

Kess73 wrote: »
    Well there is no better pair for making it all about the money than Mr and Mrs Osbourne.

Yeah, any parents that are willing to sell their kids to a reality T.V. show which showcases them like animals at a zoo, obviously have a problem! :D

Yeah, any parents that are willing to sell their kids to a reality T.V. show which showcases them like animals at a zoo, obviously have a problem! :D

Any family with Sharon as the wife/mother is going to have a problem. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

Feck Ozzy.Iommi kept with Black Sabbath through thick and thin.
    Ozzy wasnt too bothered with Sabbath when his solo career was big news in the States.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Maybe Ozzy's mind is 15 years or probably longer behind the times.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Unfortunately it's nothing to do with "legacy" or "respect" for the name but all about the commercial value of the name. Sad times:(

Advertisement