Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rollcages and the NCT

• 31-05-2009 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

Just wondering how putting a rollcage into a car would affect its NCT?

Also how do insurance companies view them?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Insurers hate them. Can't imagine why :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

They hate them for making your car safer?
    Bloody money hungry ****s. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I was actually talking to a mate about this yesterday at Prodrift. Basically, cars can be 100% road legal with a cage in it. I saw quite a few. The problem is, most insurers see anyone with a cage in as likely to either be a boy racer (idiots, tbh, boy racers wouldn't even think about putting a cage in), and they assume that you'll act the maggot in the car because you've a cage in it. So theyll either refuse to insure you or up the premium.

I'd be contacting your insurer before doing so to see what their stance is on rollcages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭10-10-20

If you drive a road vehicle and you see justification in having a roll-cage, you've got to ask what you're doing wrong... no?

10-10-20 wrote: »
    If you drive a road vehicle and you see justification in having a roll-cage, you've got to ask what you're doing wrong... no?

Like people say, "i'd rather have a CAKE and not have to use it, than need a CAKE and not have one."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

CianRyan wrote: »
    Like people say, "i'd rather have a gun and not have to use it, than need a gun and not have one."

I'd rather avoid situations where I might need a gun. Especially if I'm likely to take out innocent bystanders.

Stekelly wrote: »
    I'd rather avoid situations where I might need a gun. Especially if I'm likely to take out innocent bystanders.

Well i have no interest in guns.

But with a roll cage, i'd feel more secure.
    I wouldn't be worried what i'd do, more worried about the growing number of idiots on irish roads.
    If i was hit by an idiots at 70mph, i'm sure with the cage there, if i was to roll i would come out better than some one with out a cage.
    Think of it like that.

Don't think just because some one is putting an extra safety feture in their car, they are going to be driving like idiots. If that's the case, you might aswell take your air bags.
    'Cause what's the point in them, if you're going to be driving sensibly, eh?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

strange i was only looking at this car the other day and wondering why someone put a rollcage in! i wouldnt think the insurance company would be happy when you listed a rollcage as a modification! looks normal enough in the car but may attract a boy racer type:):)

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1022248

Tell ya, tis the truth with the way cars are built to crumple like coke cans these days.

Like I said, was at Prodrift yesterday - Guy put his s15 into a barrier at probably 80-100km/h side-on, and the bodykit wouldn't have been made from any metal at all.... Because all the cars have cages in them, and a proper racing harness the driver was fine after it.

Would love to see you get hit by a truck side on at 100km/h and be able to step out of most cars tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Don't think just because some one is putting an extra safety feture in their car, they are going to be driving like idiots.:

Thats what the insurance comapny are thinking though.I doubt they class roll cages in the same bracket as airbags in fairness.i

• Advertisement

Stekelly wrote: »
    Thats what the insurance comapny are thinking though.I doubt they class roll cages in the same bracket as airbags in fairness.i

I don't really care what they think tbh, if they want to judge then them. I've never been one to change to some one elses idea of what should be, if some one wants to put a roll cage in their car then let them.
    They should be classed in the same feild as airbags, they serve the same purpose: Saving lives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Like people say, "i'd rather have a gun and not have to use it, than need a gun and not have one."
    Bad comparison, Cian, tbh, you're not helping your own argument. A gun is designed to injure / kill; a cage is designed to protect life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

Insurers hate them. Can't imagine why :D

There is more chance of being killed in a car with a full roll cage...let me explain ;)

Race/rally cars have cages fitted, the drivers also wear helmets and have multi point safety belts to keep them in strapped securely into their seats.

If your driving a car fitted with a full cage, with no helmet and standard seat belts there is a high chance of your head hitting one of the bars in an impact, solid bar and soft head is not a good combination. Padding will not help much either. Standard seat belts will not hold you securely enough into your seat.

Bad comparison, Cian, tbh, you're not helping your own argument. A gun is designed to injure / kill; a cage is designed to protect life.

It was more of a metiphor than a comparison. I'm sure you can see the likeness in that aspect.

Not really the worst comparison. Better to have a rollcage and not need it fitted, than to end up dead from a collision that crumples the car into a tin of beans. Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. See?
    Neilw wrote: »
    There is more chance of being killed in a car with a full roll cage...let me explain ;)

Race/rally cars have cages fitted, the drivers also wear helmets and have multi point safety belts to keep them in strapped securely into their seats.

If your driving a car fitted with a full cage, with no helmet and standard seat belts there is a high chance of your head hitting one of the bars in an impact, solid bar and soft head is not a good combination. Padding will not help much either. Standard seat belts will not hold you securely enough into your seat.
    Well, most seatbelts don't really have too much give in them, so although you've a chance of knocking off the bars, its not really increased a threat to your life as such.

Yeah, race cars do have multi point harnesses and proper racing seats, but what's the story about fitting racing harnesses to cars and keeping them road legal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Neilw wrote: »

Anyone that wants/needs a roll cage will probably want/can afford racing bucket seats and five point belts.

Have you ever personally seen a car where someone spends a few thousand on a cage but has standard seats with standard belts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

Not really the worst comparison. Better to have a rollcage and not need it fitted, than to end up dead from a collision that crumples the car into a tin of beans. Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. See?

Well, most seatbelts don't really have too much give in them, so although you've a chance of knocking off the bars, its not really increased a threat to your life as such.

Yeah, race cars do have multi point harnesses and proper racing seats, but what's the story about fitting racing harnesses to cars and keeping them road legal.

True there is little give in seatbelts, but they are never tight enough on you while driving to stop you raising out of the seat slightly in an impact/roll over. If your tall you could easily hit one of the bars around the roof.

A harness and racing seat would help alright, but my main point is I think insurance companies are wise to the fact that fatal injuries are more likely with full cages fitted and that's the reason their frowned upon.

Just out of spite for insurers, i'm going to fit the full racing set up into some car and drive it as carefully as possible, recording every second i am in the car.
    they couldn't claim i was driving like a maniac and that's why i needed it, i'd have the evidence against it. And i'd be driving the safest car on the road. They'd have to give me low insurance.:rolleyes:

It was more of a metiphor than a comparison. I'm sure you can see the likeness in that aspect.
    Oh, I got Cian's point all right, I'm half-pished not stupid, takes a lot more alcohol to do that ... :P :D

I'm just saying that dragging guns into the argument in any form is just bringing in a whole set of logic (or illogic very often) that will obfuscate the point you're making.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Turlock

Ha, nice debate going on here...

For info I'd be looking for a track car that I could drive to the track so would be wearing helmet / 5 point harness. It wouldn't be for general hooning :eek:

• Advertisement

Oh, I got Cian's point all right, I'm half-pished not stupid, takes a lot more alcohol to do that ... :P :D

I'm just saying that dragging guns into the argument in any form is just bringing in a whole set of logic (or illogic very often) that will obfuscate the point you're making.

Fine i'll go replace the word gun with cake.
    HAPPY?!:p

Just out of spite for insurers, i'm going to fit the full racing set up into some car and drive it as carefully as possible, recording every second i am in the car.
    they couldn't claim i was driving like a maniac and that's why i needed it, i'd have the evidence against it. And i'd be driving the safest car on the road. They'd have to give me low insurance.:rolleyes:

See, you're forgetting the most important factor. You're in Ireland. Logic works backwards here...

You're not stupid?! Could have fooled me mate! :pac: Guess I'm just used to you by now :p

Actually, out of curiousity - I know roll cages and proper racing seats are fine, but are racing harnesses actually road legal? I've a feeling that I heard before they weren't. And the fact that I've seen quite a few cars with bucket seats, cages and stock belts... hmm..

Actually, out of curiousity - I know roll cages and proper racing seats are fine, but are racing harnesses actually road legal? I've a feeling that I heard before they weren't. And the fact that I've seen quite a few cars with bucket seats, cages and stock belts... hmm..

I'm pretty sure my mate has bucket seats and a 5 point belt in his mini. I haven't seen it for a while now, so i'm not sure. I'll find out though.
    I actually think he might have a roll cage in it too.

Man... I love that car.

Fine i'll go replace the word gun with cake.
    HAPPY?!:p
    Yep. I like cake!!! :D
    You're not stupid?! Could have fooled me mate! :pac: Guess I'm just used to you by now :p
    You actually ENJOY getting nutslapped into next week, don't you?! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

A roll cage in a non competition car... FFS

Either a paranoid coward type expecting to be stuffed by every car they meet;

or: a driver that expects to test the cage due to their driving "style"

or: you think its sexy to have a cage...

PS, if you do have a cage, wear a helmet, the cage will kill you before it protects you, even comp cages, where the inhabitants wear helemets have to be sheathed with energy absorbing material.

Think about it. What is the true reason for it?

I'm pretty sure my mate has bucket seats and a 5 point belt in his mini. I haven't seen it for a while now, so i'm not sure. I'll find out though.
    I actually think he might have a roll cage in it too.

Man... I love that car.
    Lol, sweet. I've actually been challenged to take my fiat punto 1.2 8v out on track for the craic, with R33 GTRs, Scoobies, 106gti, vtec civics, silvias etc (and tbh, I'm tempted to....it'd sure scratch that itch i've got to floor it :D) Think I know what I'll be doing when I get some cash! :D:D:D
    You actually ENJOY getting nutslapped into next week, don't you?! :p

quiet you!

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Turlock

Fishtits wrote: »
    A roll cage in a non competition car... FFS

Either a paranoid coward type expecting to be stuffed by every car they meet;

or: a driver that expects to test the cage due to their driving "style"

or: you think its sexy to have a cage...

PS, if you do have a cage, wear a helmet, the cage will kill you before it protects you, even comp cages, where the inhabitants wear helemets have to be sheathed with energy absorbing material.

Think about it. What is the true reason for it?

Read back 5 posts...

Advertisement