Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rechecks / Appeals

Options
  • 31-05-2009 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

If you miss a course by 5 pts and you get a subject rechecked, how will you know if you get those extra 5 points before the closing date of accepting college places. Like examinations.ie say that it is mid October before you get the results! Do you miss out on a place in that course, like I doubt the college would hold a place for you!

Could anyone explain how the whole appeal process works.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭BLARG

As far as I'm aware, if you miss out on points first time around, then they don't wait for re-checks to come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

If there's space then you can transfer in, if there's not then I'm pretty sure you have to wait til the following year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Piste wrote: »
    If there's space then you can transfer in, if there's not then I'm pretty sure you have to wait til the following year.

+1. Pretty sure its done that way. If you miss out on your course but you get the test checked and you get it, your place is deferred until the next year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

That is absolute bollox.

Extremely unfair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭~Candy~

hmmmmmmmmm.....

actually that's not fair -_____-

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭BLARG

... yeah. Some guys human error can cost you a year of your life... pretty lame indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Prowetod

One last question :p
    If you get the required amount of points for the course after the recheck, but it is full so you have to wait until next year. Are you guaranteed a place or do you have re-apply and hope the points don't rise?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭aleyra

it depends on the course and its popularity.
    i missed my course by 5 points last year and sent my scripts back for rechecks.I rang up the college and they said if i got the 5points i was welcome to start mid oct or defer for the year and they'd hold a place for me next year.

Bear in mind that alot of people might change course in the first week or so and might drop out, again depending on the course , there is a possibility of getting a place

unfortunately i didnt get the 5 points and 8 months later im taking my leaving cert for the second time. Trust me you dont want to have to repeat for 5 points!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

The thought of getting 'downgraded' would nearly put me off going for a recheck *shudder*.

Whatever happens I'm going to college next year so if I dont get the points for my first choice I would be reasonably happy with my second which I should get the points for even if things don't go great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

You could look at this on the flipside. You get a whole year to do whatever you want before you go to college.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭manutd4life

as far as i know colleges always leave spaces open for people getting their papers re checked so you won have to take a year off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭corkarcher

as far as i know colleges always leave spaces open for people getting their papers re checked so you won have to take a year off

That's pointless what about all the people who get over the cut-off points? Surely you would only get 5 or 10 points after an appeal... If not downgraded :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Paddy001

Mr.S wrote: »
    I really dout many people get downgraded though, as you'd be mad not to get your teachers to look over the paper before you send it off..

Ill only even think about getting something rechecked if i fail something, or if its a 5/10 mark point margin.

It has happened, there will be statistics out after the re-checks, saw it in one of the papers last year or the year before, where 3 people got downgraded, there's a small few every year I think. Some people just get them re-checked without seeing the paper so that may be why

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

eoccork wrote: »
    If you miss a course by 5 pts and you get a subject rechecked, how will you know if you get those extra 5 points before the closing date of accepting college places. Like examinations.ie say that it is mid October before you get the results! Do you miss out on a place in that course, like I doubt the college would hold a place for you!

Could anyone explain how the whole appeal process works.
    Thanks!

If you miss your course by 5 points and are awaiting a recheck, you continue as normal until the recheck comes through. So you can accept or reject any other offers you might have had. When the recheck comes through and if it is successful and you go up by 5 points which means you would have had an offer in your first choice, you HAVE to be offered a place on the course. Depending on how long the recheck takes and when the college course starts you can usually transfer into that course or defer until the following year.

It might also be the case that there are a set number of places in the course and would be no room to accommodate you that year even if you transferred (eg. Dentistry, Pharmacy) so you could defer until next year. If it was a much bigger course where numbers are more flexible, Arts, Business etc it wouldn't really be a problem. The other problem is that college seem to be starting quite early in September so by the time you are sorted you could have missed the first 6 weeks of college. It's a lot of work to catch up on and some defer for that reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

corkarcher wrote: »
    That's pointless what about all the people who get over the cut-off points? Surely you would only get 5 or 10 points after an appeal... If not downgraded :eek:

Some people get several papers rechecked.

And all the people who get above the cut off points get places in the course anyway. I don't think colleges intentionally leave say 5 places free in a course for 50 people, more likely that they have 50 places given out by the CAO but have allowed in timetabling and class sizes to be able to accommodate 1 or 2 more if needed.

Eg. There were 30 places in my course (Science Teaching in UL). People who enrol in PE teaching there have a choice of 5 subjects for their second subject one of which is chemistry so they used to be in our labs. Some years there might only be 1 student who chooses it, another year there might be 10. That is not going to be known until the students enrol and make their choices, so there has to be some leeway on the timetable for putting students into groups for labs etc. If they are able to do that, they would easily be able to accommodate one or two latecomers due to rechecks and I imagine all the other colleges are no different.

Advertisement