Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Redcurrants beware!

Options
  • 31-05-2009 11:03pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭

Just noticed today that half my redcurrant bush had been devoured.
    I went to have a look thinking it was slugs and discovered thousands of little grey catapillers devouring the foliage.
    I dispatched the little bastards as many as i could find but the damage they did was amazing and it hadnt been done the day before yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

dunno what breed mine are, because they are rampant, any one need slips etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

This will be the same as the ones that eat gooseberry leaves; saw fly I think

Take heart; they eat leaves not fruit and the bushes will not be killed.

Some say it affects next year;s crops but we never found that.

Would love redcurrant slips.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭geordief

if it is the sawfly then I would try shaking them off (the big ones ).Otherwise I spray with liquid derris.
    I think they do so much damage to the leaves that they will stop the fruit from getting bigger .
    Even if it doesn't kill the plant I think it will damage the plant's growth for the following year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

we have found otherwise. I know; it looks so dreadful

But one year all our gooseberry bushes were stripped of leaves; the fruit was large and juicy and the next year even more abundant.

I was ill and could not tackle it so read round and stopped panicking.

The fruit is set now and independent of the leaves and next year's buds have not yet formed.
    geordief wrote: »
    if it is the sawfly then I would try shaking them off (the big ones ).Otherwise I spray with liquid derris.
    I think they do so much damage to the leaves that they will stop the fruit from getting bigger .
    Even if it doesn't kill the plant I think it will damage the plant's growth for the following year.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭geordief

sorella wrote: »
    we have found otherwise. I know; it looks so dreadful

But one year all our gooseberry bushes were stripped of leaves; the fruit was large and juicy and the next year even more abundant.

I was ill and could not tackle it so read round and stopped panicking.

The fruit is set now and independent of the leaves and next year's buds have not yet formed.

well I hope you are right as it will make life a little simpler.
    Actually about 2 or 3 years ago I separated the gooseberries and the redcurrants since it always seemed to spread from the redcurrants and the problem has lessened.

• Advertisement
Advertisement