Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire in Telefonica tent

Options
  • 31-05-2009 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

A fire broke out in the tents behind ce na mara in the carpark just a while ago. I think it's where the crews keep all the repair gear. Gas fire i think

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Yikes. That must have been the cause of all the sirens I heard a short while ago. Hope everyone is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 bailefionn

Heard that the docks were evacuated tonight because if a fire? Is this true? Whats happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

just heard about it aswell,
    it was a big enough blast to shake the Harbour hotel/ ce na mara building.
    i'd guess it was a gas explosion aswell.

hopefully no one was around when it happened

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

There seem to be helicopters around and I saw a mysterious boat with flashing blue lights head in the direction of the docks.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭aido179

hey guys, i was 200 metres away from the tent. the explosion was strong enough to feel frightening in the marina the far side of the docks.

from the force of it, it seems like its a gas tank explosion or the likes.

having been in the same tent 48 hours ago, im counting my lucky stars i wasnt there. i also sincerily hope none of the shore crew were working at the time.

for anybody wondering, the tent houses mostly sails and gear. i presume there would be a gas tank for welding or gas heaters but i cant say for sure i have seen one there.

aido

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

Apparently, nobody was hurt ! :)

ValerieR

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

bailefionn wrote: »
    Heard that the docks were evacuated tonight because if a fire? Is this true? Whats happened?

See the thread Fire in Telefonica tent

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭aido179

thats more than amazing to hear. where did you hear that?

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭rotinaj

ValerieR wrote: »
    Apparently, nobody was hurt ! :)

ValerieR

Good news anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

That is what I was told by hubbie who happens to be around there ... But no total certainty !
    I sincererly hope this is true :)

ValerieR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭rotinaj

ValerieR wrote: »
    That is what I was told by hubbie who happens to be around there ... But no total certainty !
    I sincererly hope this is true :)

ValerieR

Ill take your word for it. Could of been quite a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

Hoping everyone is alrite!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭skinnie

pretty sure no one was hurt. Don't think there was anybody in/near the tent. Security/gardai were close by anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭swalsh

I'm in ce na mara and could feel the building shake. I wentndown to the carpark under the apartments to see what happened as I face the docks side and saw the tent and a big metal container box on fire. It took at least 5-7 minutes before the fire brigade came and from all the time I was there it seemed nobody was injured. I have a few photos which I'll put up tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 ms flywheel

Thank god nobody was hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

Phew!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I was on the grass in front of the harbour hotel when we heard the explosion, then we saw fire engines and ambulances driving past and smoke bellowing from behind the hotel. Glad no-one was hurt.

The Volvo Ocean Race village was rocked by an explosion last night.
    A loud blast occurred at 20 past 11 at the docklands when a gas cylinder caught fire in the service area of the Volvo racing yachts.
    http://www.galwaynews.ie/7679-gas-blast-volvo-ocean-race-village

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭eoiner-galway

A few friends of mine where in the Ce na Mara flats facing the fire... they got a few videos of it..... youtube already..

i only posted 2 here, there is more online @ youtube

everyone is ok though!!!! tnk god

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 ms flywheel

Jesus that looked scary. Thankfully it didn't get any worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

Glad nobody was hurt. Wonder was much of their gear destroyed and will they be able to continue the race?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭schoolbag2

i heard it was the GAAW:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

vulcan57 wrote: »
    Glad nobody was hurt. Wonder was much of their gear destroyed and will they be able to continue the race?

I expect all the teams would have ample back up.:cool:
    Great news that no body was hurt.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

wow thats scary did it make the news atall? wondering how i didnt hear about it...?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

wow thats scary did it make the news atall? wondering how i didnt hear about it...?

I think the volvo in general has been a bit ignored by national media, which is a shame, so Im not surprised you didn't hear. We heard the sirens going so figured something was up.. Thank god no one was hurt

We were on a boat in the docks drinking on deck when we heard the explosion, we could feel it too. Didnt actually know what was on fire until this morning. Lucky nobody was hurt, It looked closer to the oil tanks from where we were which was quite an unplesant thing to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

its a very small fire for the force of the explosion that people are describing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭eoiner-galway

yeh but i think there were gas canisters involved....

Advertisement