Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Books and Travelling

• 01-06-2009 12:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

In three weeks I'm beginning a trip starting on Boston, then New York, then Washington, then Raleigh in North Carolina, then Atlanta and then New Orleans, finally finishing up in Houston at the end of the July.

I'd like to read some books on the trip, maybe books that look at life in New York or whatever of the other cities. It's just to get into the mindframe of it all and perhaps is showing the sociology side of me in this one!!!

Any tips?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

Not sure about books on specific areas but in Houston if you want to learn about Texas history you need to visit the San Jacinto monument and battleship Texas. San Jacinto monument is the location where Texas finally gained her independence from Mexico in battle under General Sam Houston and shortly after became an independent nation.
    Only state in the Union that has it in its constitution that it can succeed from the US and again become an independent state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Fabio

Brilliant, thanks for that Murphie! Didn't know about the constitution in Texas saying that either!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭p to the e

for a tour of America like that you can always read Jack Kerouac's "on the road". or try one of Bill Bryson's. either "the lost continent" or " a walk in the woods"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭gaf1983

For New York I'd have to recommend Hubert Selby Jr's Last Exit to Brooklyn.

According to Wikipedia, the novel has become a cult classic because of its harsh, uncompromising look at lower class Brooklyn in the 1950s and for its brusque, everyman style of prose.

Would agree with that. The city itself seems to have a personality of its own in the book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

Slightly off topic...but what ever books you get while traveling don't forget to book cross them when you are done! :) Save you carrying them :)

http://www.bookcrossing.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭LiamMc

The 'Moon' series of books may be an idea.
    I have to admit I have never used them in their location. But they appear to have writers knowledgeable and sympathetic to the destination.

Advertisement