Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Men: Cutting your own hair?

• 01-06-2009 1:00am
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I normally get my hair cut in the barbers. But at €10 per cut, it is becoming an expensive habit.

As I usually only get a blade all over, wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to just cut it myself rather than drive into town, wait in a massive queue, then pay to get it cut?

Does anyone actually do that? If so, what hair clippers do you think look good out of this list
    http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=30001&catalogId=1500001501&langId=-1&searchTerms=hair+clipper&Submit=GO+%3E

Another question: If you have hair clippers and you set them to the desired blade, does it matter how hard you press the clippers down to your head? Will it always result in the same length no matter what pressure you apply?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭rotinaj

I got the third one down. Works great.

Usually cut it three times myself, then go to the barbers for the forth. No real resaon for this tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

Have you considered growing it long, OP? Might look cool!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I have the 8th one down and it's quality. I'd say you'd need someone to check over it to make sure you haven't missed any patches. But both me and my dad cut our own hair, and then we check it for each other to make sure we haven't missed any. Save ourselves a fortune, bout €60 a month as my dad cuts his every week and I cut mine every 2 or 3.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Wow, glad to hear I'm not the only one!
    Have you considered growing it long, OP? Might look cool!
    My hair is long enough at the moment but to be honest I prefer it short - it's much less hassle. Plus as I cycle a lot short hair reduces the 'helmet hair' problem (looks like Einstein in a gale force wind) :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

i shave my head weekly and have done so for years. most shavers are of sufficiently good quality as to be reliable for at least a few years, maybe except for the very cheapest..
    its SO easy to do a blade all over, its not something that requires skill, or even, in my opinion, somebody to verify you have done a good job, because if you're methodical, and go over it a couple of times, you could honestly do it blind folded, and save yourself roughly 500 quid a year, plus the pain in the arse of the small talk with the barber, and maybe a couple of quid as a tip ( x52), if you're that way inclined.

• Advertisement

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4426051/Trail/searchtext%3EHAIR+CLIPPER.htm

OP, I highly, highly recommend you buy that one i linked to, especially because of the half price thing.

It requires no oiling or messing around with or anything like that. It's portable (can be plugged in or charged and used on its own) and the head on it is rotatable, meaning it's never awkward or uncomfortable. I've had it for about a year and a half at this stage and it's still going strong. Never an issue with it. Other ones i've used before that have always died off after a few months of use.

One thing though (about all hair clippers); you get a small brush with them, for cleaning off excess hair after you've shaved your head. Also use this brush and clean over the shaver every time you use it. Otherwise it just gets clogged with hair and dies off. It only takes a second or two to snap the head off it and give it a quick cleaning with the brush.

I've been cutting my own hair for about five years now, and the shaver i linked to above has been the most reliable and easiest to use I've come across.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭recycle

I've been cutting my own hair for over a year OP.

I, unintentionally, tend to butcher it with a scissiors and it can look a bit brutal immediately afterwards.

Like everything else in life - time is a great healer- no more than a week later it generally looks the biz with the added benefit of 10/15 quid staying in my wallet for longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 rhys2

i wet shave my head once a week with mach 3 blade!!! is like a blade one in 2 days, blade 2 in 4 days and time to shave it again. doing this for years!!

have saved a fortune and most say it suits me.

you should try it once and see how you get on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I've been using a BaByliss professional for over 5 years and it's been a great investment. A little care and attention, a cleaning and judicious few drops of oil and it still works perfectly. When I first got it it was so easy to use that I'd let my 5 year old cut my hair for me.
    There are occasions when it's useful to have someone else there to clean off the stray hairs on your neck and to clean the line of your hair at the back where you just can't see it but overall using your own hair trimmers is easy (apart from cleaning up the hair off the bathroom floor after...according to Mrs. Goat :o)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Free and easy. Do it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Is using a 3 or 3 blade fool proof?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭Black Leather

I have let my hair grow long and I do not intend to cut it ever again. I may be saving money on hair-cuts, but then I am spending more on hair products.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Zombie thread from 2009. Please just start a new thread rather than resurrecting an old one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement