Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 93

Options
  • 01-06-2009 4:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭

Ok just finished watching ufc 93.I know its a bit old but how did Henderson win.Franklin did a much better job in the 2nd and 3rd round to henderson.Also keep in mind he was headbutted and poked in the eye aswell.Im only new to ufc but how did henderson win by "split decision"

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Fol20 wrote: »
    Ok just finished watching ufc 93.I know its a bit old but how did Henderson win.Franklin did a much better job in the 2nd and 3rd round to henderson.Also keep in mind he was headbutted and poked in the eye aswell.Im only new to ufc but how did henderson win by "split decision"

As Franklin didnt want to coach of the next TUF.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,997 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

rovert wrote: »

Are you suggesting that the UFC influenced judges to fix the fight if it went the distance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Thats a bold statement!

There have been many dodgey calls in MMA when left to a judges decision. Its not the 1st and def wont be the last. As a sport its difficult to score. Personally I think take downs are scored a little too highly. I dont see why points should be awarded if the person on bottom can scramble/sweep/avoid damage or manage to get up right after he is taken down. Basically if its not a controlled take down I dont think it should be awarded points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Jason Mc

Maybe a lot of the judges coming from a country where wrestling is a big sport have a wrestling backgound

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

bull****, unfounded, unreferenced, unsourced semi malicious rumour

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Are you suggesting that the UFC influenced judges to fix the fight if it went the distance?

Fix would be too strong of a word and I dont think UFC would attempt to directly influence judges even on an international show.

On the topic of UFC 93 I thought the Davis decision was a "hometown" one. Which in its self an example of the judges being influenced by factors outside of the fight itself.
    bull****, unfounded, unreferenced, unsourced semi malicious rumour

It was something which was widely reported:
    http://mma.fanhouse.com/2008/10/27/rich-franklin-will-fight-dan-henderson-at-ufc-93-not-interested/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Well that was the general opinion thrown about the O2 at the time too.

I'm not an MMA judge so I can't stand in judgement on the fight per se, and I don't normally go along with conspiracy theories but.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

I thought Hendo won the fight, havnt seen it since then though. Judging was a little weird as one of the judges scored the fight 30-27 Franklin if i remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

Scores were 29-30, 30-27, and 29-30.I though Frankly should have won then purely because he had more points

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Scores were 29-30, 30-27, and 29-30.I though Frankly should have won then purely because he had more points

Thats like saying in a tennis match that ends 2 sets 6-5 6-4 to 1 set 6-O that the lad who only won 1 set 6-0 should win the game because the he won 14 games to 12 of the others in total, the thing is the scores dont work like that.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

did u see the matt hughes v serra fight? im not saying it was judged badly but imagine how hard it was to judge, that fight looked like a tie to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

did u see the matt hughes v serra fight? im not saying it was judged badly but imagine how hard it was to judge, that fight looked like a tie to me.
    Then I dont know what fight you were watching :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,610 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

actually it was 29-28, 29-28, 27-30

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭David Jones

I saw it live and once recorded and I still think Henderson won. You can tell the judging was all over the place with the 30 -27 score. As for Serra v Hughes, I had it a draw and I think Serra has a right to be pissed it was given to Hughes. Closer to home Greg Loughran vs Arni Isaakson, was to me a draw if not slightly edging Gregs way. But then the advice is never to let it go to the judges. To be honest there have been some dodgy refereeing calls lately by Yves Lavigne, particularly Pete Sell vs Matt Brown, possibly the worst piece of officiating in recent memory. I guess everyone can make mistakes but it appears he did it again on the last one with one of the TUF 8 guys fights, Nover I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,997 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

To be honest there have been some dodgy refereeing calls lately by Yves Lavigne, particularly Pete Sell vs Matt Brown, possibly the worst piece of officiating in recent memory. I guess everyone can make mistakes but it appears he did it again on the last one with one of the TUF 8 guys fights, Nover I think.

Any ref would have stopped that fight. He looked completely knocked out for a second. Body gone limp and all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 daviedee

I thought Henderson won fair and square. He dominated 1 round and maybe lost 1 closely and won 1 closely too. The 30-27 called by 1 judge for Franklin was outrageously bad. Franklin even pulled a face at that 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

I haven't watched the fight again but I think Hendo got the decision for 2 reasons.

1. Bisping said very clearly he didn't want to fight Franklin particularly in the Q&A, he gave a few reasons why he didn't want Franklin.
    2. Franklin didn't want to coach and Hendo did was another reason and was the general view from people that were there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

unknown13 wrote: »

1. Bisping said very clearly he didn't want to fight Franklin particularly in the Q&A, he gave a few reasons why he didn't want Franklin.

What were the reasons?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

Then I dont know what fight you were watching :confused:
    I thought matt serra could have won two of those rounds. Although i was routing for hughes.

daviedee wrote: »
    I thought Henderson won fair and square. He dominated 1 round and maybe lost 1 closely and won 1 closely too. The 30-27 called by 1 judge for Franklin was outrageously bad. Franklin even pulled a face at that 1.

I thought that's because he believed he won the fight and when he heard that score he was like 'yeah that's more like it'...

Could be wrong though

• Advertisement
Advertisement