Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your daily forecasts from Boards.ie weather forum (NO CHAT)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

UPDATE _ Sunday, 10:25 pm

Looks as though the weak cold front has now stalled across the mid-south about Shannon to Wicklow, but air mass contrast is becoming rather slight now anyway, so it's more a question of where cloud breaks that will determine the potential for frost, and this seems higher in Ulster (inland) than elsewhere. Could see about -2 C by early morning in parts of Tyrone, Fermanagh and possibly Louth.

The volcanic ash and/or dust situation seems to be evolving in spurts, with one batch already delivered so to speak, and another one evident on satellite imagery for later tonight possibly. Looking at the charts and reading the volcano report bulletins, I am of the opinion that the worst dose of the ash will come Monday night into Tuesday. That's when a more direct NW flow develops from mid-levels to near the surface.

The weather itself should try to clear at times to mid-day Monday, then become showery again with another weak frontal trough heading for Ulster from the north. This one should push steadily south Monday evening and reach the south coast in the overnight hours. Tuesday should then become a little more windy (NW 15-30 mph) and perhaps a touch colder for most places. Showers could become somewhat wintry on higher slopes.

I would continue to suggest caution on any forecast model depictions beyond about four days until the energy balance adjusts to the new volcanic ash input factor.

Having a nice sunny day here so far, 12 C about the warmest temperature.

Monday, 19 April, 2010

As I have been getting some information that the volcanic ash plume may be decreasing at source, I will leave out any further mention for today's weather forecast, refer to the volcano thread on this forum for more updated information as well as various other sources.

TODAY will continue rather cloudy with light showers or drizzle at times across the central and later southeast counties, with a slow clearing trend to follow from the already partly clear Ulster region (where there are scattered reports of frost, -4 C at one station in NI). So, expect more sunshine in the north than elsewhere but eventually everyone should see at least some sunshine, before another gradual increase in cloud later from the northwest. (VA plume may be dispersing but there could be another interval of dusty conditions to come with this next trough). Highs today will be 11-13 C except possibly 8-10 C over parts of Ulster.

TONIGHT will again bring scattered frost mainly in the north and central inland counties. Lows will fall to -3 to -1 C in some parts, but 2-4 C around the west, south and southeast coasts and in large towns and cities, as winds fall off to quite light or calm.

TUESDAY will see stronger NW winds in Ulster especially, but despite some isolated showers in the morning, the general trend should be towards sunny conditions (as long as severe ash or dust does not develop). Highs will reach about 12-13 C.

WEDNESDAY will also be partly cloudy with morning frost in some locations and highs near 13 C later.

THURSDAY could bring light rain if a weak front holds together in the constant northwest flow. This would be a time when dust deposition could again increase if the volcano is active Tuesday. Temperature range will be about 3 to 11 C.

FRIDAY will be a partly cloudy to overcast day with mainly dry conditions and somewhat higher temperatures by afternoon to about 15 C.

The further outlook is quite uncertain because the models are not responding very reliably at present to the challenges, so while there is somewhat increased confidence of a warmer turn in the weather, I wouldn't be totally confident on that yet.

Meanwhile, Sunday 18th here was a pleasant day with increasing high cloud and temperatures reaching 15 C.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

ch750536 wrote: »
    Blimey. Thanks. We've all been in shorts & tee shirt all day.

http://www.irishwoodshop.com/weather/today.htm
    High Temperature 18.3 °C at 15:57

Sorry for nose rubbing & all that.

Oh no it's alright I wanted some cold air ... We got down to -2c last night and I see were down for 5-6c maxes tomorrow and showers maybe I'll see snow again!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Some frost here last night; the coverings on the vegetable patch were slightly icy.

Did not deter the cuckoo at first light at the window though..;)

Tuesday, 20 April, 2010

The general trend is a slow warming over the next seven days with only limited shower activity if any.

TODAY will be partly cloudy and rather chilly, with some chance of showers in Donegal and west Ulster, north Connacht. Winds will be moderate NW at times to about 20 mph, with longer sunny intervals in the south. Highs will reach about 12 or 13 C.

TONIGHT (and several following nights) will be partly cloudy with clear intervals, and lows of about 1-4 C in most places, but touches of frost in central counties (lows to -2 C possible).

From WEDNESDAY to SATURDAY expect a very gradual warming trend with partly cloudy skies each day, a slight chance of showers mainly in the northwest, and highs rising from near 13 C midweek to near 18 C on the weekend.

This warming trend could intensify into next week, although I'm waiting to see 2-3 days of similar forecast trends before feeling too confident about that.

Meanwhile, we enjoyed a fairly nice day here on Monday, mostly cloudy but rather warm at about 19 or 20 C. Looks like some rain developing but mostly virga so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Very clear morning this morning in Limerick - really blue skies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Mc Love wrote: »
    Very clear morning this morning in Limerick - really blue skies

Yep, Im in shorts & tee shirt already.

ch750536 wrote: »
    Yep, Im in shorts & tee shirt already.

Must be me; I am frozen!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Any chance of a south westerly to mitigate against the ash?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Graces7 wrote: »
    Must be me; I am frozen!

It is quite chilly, especially now the early morning sun has been mostly replaced by cloud!

• Advertisement

Any chance of a south westerly to mitigate against the ash?

The southerly wind that's bringing the warmer weather towards the end of the week should push the ash away.

Mobhi1 wrote: »
    The southerly wind that's bringing the warmer weather towards the end of the week should push the ash away.

My next question is will I be able to fly from Shannon to London on Friday midday? :(

My next question is will I be able to fly from Shannon to London on Friday midday? :(

There'll probably be flights by then but how they cope with the backlog I've no idea!:confused:

There'll probably be flights by then but how they cope with the backlog I've no idea!:confused:

Deal with those who booked for that day first... ...I hope.

Wednesday, 21 April, 2010

After the coldest night of the month so far (-4 C at Dublin Airport at 0600h) the cold spell should be ending soon, as southerly winds develop by the end of the week.

TODAY will be partly cloudy in the north, more sunny intervals in the south, with just a slight risk of showers developing later in the northwest. Winds will remain rather light and once the frost dissipates, it should warm up to about 12 or 13 C.

TONIGHT will be partly cloudy to clear and rather cold again, with lows to about -2 C in some rural areas, 1-4 C around the coasts.

THURSDAY will bring hazy sunshine and some residual volcanic ash could be making its last visit for a while (as long as the winds turn southerly) ... the afternoon will be pleasant with highs near 14 C.

FRIDAY will be partly cloudy to overcast and milder with some rain moving past the northwest coast possibly some distance inland at times. Highs will reach 15-17 C after morning lows of 3-6 C.

THE WEEKEND is likely to bring hazy sunshine at times in the east and south, mostly cloudy skies in the west and north, and some rain or drizzle at times there, but it will turn warmer with highs of 18-20 C and mild nights near 8-10 C. This warm spell could intensify next week according to the latest (optimistic) guidance and highs could reach 23 C in some central counties, and since the wind will be more southeast than south, the warmth could spread to the west coast.

Meanwhile, we had quite a cool and drizzly day here with a moderate NW wind setting in. The high was only 12 C.

It is quite chilly, especially now the early morning sun has been mostly replaced by cloud!

Thank you! There was and is a sneaky wind up here.

The frost is on my peas, even through the covers. Please God they survive as we cannot afford to buy any more seed.:(

Sigh....

Thank you! There was and is a sneaky wind up here.

The frost is on my peas, even through the covers. Please God they survive as we cannot afford to buy any more seed.:(

Sigh....

It was quite cold last night - I recorded the lowest since early March with -1.6C and as MT says it was -4C at Dublin Airport, although by the time I looked out any frost was gone! Hopefully it's the last frost until next winter although I remember saying that a couple of weeks ago!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

It was quite cold last night - I recorded the lowest since early March with -1.6C and as MT says it was -4C at Dublin Airport, although by the time I looked out any frost was gone! Hopefully it's the last frost until next winter although I remember saying that a couple of weeks ago!

Yeah, there was visible white frost on the cars around here in the early hours of this morning.

Warnings out for tonight and tomorrow night for frost.

Thankfully the seedlings look fine... I throw and old cotton sheet over them. And take all hardening off trays in;; not checked the few I left out by accident yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭redalicat

Warnings out for tonight and tomorrow night for frost.

Thankfully the seedlings look fine... I throw and old cotton sheet over them. And take all hardening off trays in;; not checked the few I left out by accident yet.

Is this more for Donegal? I'm in Kildare and my seeds haven't popped up yet...:eek:

redalicat wrote: »
    Is this more for Donegal? I'm in Kildare and my seeds haven't popped up yet...:eek:

Ah, I never sow direct. When I was on an offshore island I got used to sowing indoors in trays to get a wee bit ahead.

There we could not think about planting out until May. Or sowing outdoors either.

The broad beans went out after hardening off a couple of weeks ago,and some peas also.

The rest are out in seed trays during the day.

Stopped planting out when the weather chilled

But the turnips I sowed direct are up already outside.

The first runner beans in trays indoors are up now.

Thursday, 22 April, 2010

TODAY will be rather cloudy especially in the west, but the sun may be visible at times, and it should be a bit milder except near the south coast where chilly sea breezes will set in. Highs there could be held down to 11-12 C, otherwise, expect about 14-16 C (although Ulster may remain 12-13 C). Some drizzle or fog is possible by afternoon on the outer west coast.

TONIGHT will be partly cloudy to overcast and this should prevent frost in most cases, lows will be 2-5 C.

FRIDAY will remain partly cloudy to overcast and largely dry, with any drizzle or light rain confined to the far northwest. Highs will be about the same as today, chilly again due to sea breezes near the south coast, 14-16 C elsewhere.

SATURDAY will see hazy sunshine and warmer temperatures in the east, but cloud increasing across the west with light rain to follow. Highs will be about 15 to 18 C, warmer in the east away from the immediate coast.

SUNDAY will remain rather warm and hazy with the light rain moving through early morning and dissipating. Highs will be 17-20 C with warmer conditions in the east (inland).

By next week it looks rather warm in a southeast flow and this may allow the warmth to spread more to the west coast. Highs could be into the low 20s in some places.

Today here (Wed 21st) was cloudy and cool, with the sun finally breaking through just before sunset, and now it remains clear and quite cool. The high today was barely above 10 C.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Graces7 - May I suggest a thread for you offering "Grow your own Veg" giving advice on what you are growing with special attention to the weather and it's effect on the crops. I think it would be very handy for some of us who are in the same boat? Just a thought...

Friday, 23 April, 2010

TODAY will be partly cloudy in the east, mainly overcast in the west, and somewhat milder with highs reaching 15 C inland, 11-13 C near the south and east coasts, due to onshore sea breezes. There could be patchy drizzle by afternoon near the west coast.

TONIGHT will continue partly cloudy to overcast with lows of about 4-7 C.

SATURDAY will bring a weak frontal system to western counties with cloud and light rain (3-5 mms), while eastern counties may start dry with the rain rather patchy and drizzly arriving by late afternoon. A stronger southerly wind of 15-30 mph will develop, so it will stay rather chilly near the south coast but temperatures will rise to 15-18 C elsewhere.

SUNDAY, the light rain will move through eastern counties by mid-morning at the latest, with hazy sunshine developing except for fog near the south and west coasts as winds veer more SW'ly at 10-20 mph. The morning lows will be much milder near 8-10 C and daytime highs will vary from 15-17 C west, to 18-20 C east.

MONDAY to WEDNESDAY should be quite a warm, sunny period with light southerly winds, local onshore sea breezes that may contain localized low cloud or fog banks, but temperatures inland soaring to 19-22 C and possibly even higher in a few places. This warm, dry spell will not end abruptly but temperatures could fall a few degrees when the circulation becomes more east to northeast towards the end of the week.

Our weather here on Thursday 22nd was sunny but quite breezy (W-NW 20-30 mph) and the high was about 14 C.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭redalicat

Danno wrote: »
    Graces7 - May I suggest a thread for you offering "Grow your own Veg" giving advice on what you are growing with special attention to the weather and it's effect on the crops. I think it would be very handy for some of us who are in the same boat? Just a thought...

I agree, maybe a "gardening and the weather" thread?

• Advertisement

Danno wrote: »

Would love to if that is allowed?

Mods? I know there is a gardening forum but weather affects food crops so much....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Would love to if that is allowed?

Mods? I know there is a gardening forum but weather affects food crops so much....

Just start one Grace, if it's not acceptable they can move it.
    Better than taking this thread off topic plus i'm sure they discuss relevant weather in gardening threads.

UPDATE _ Friday, 7 p.m.

Models have changed in their depictions of how strong next week's high is likely to be; the new trend is towards a breakdown of warm, dry weather mid-week to be followed by mild, showery weather, rather than the earlier concept of a reinforcement of high pressure.

Just start one Grace, if it's not acceptable they can move it.
    Better than taking this thread off topic plus i'm sure they discuss relevant weather in gardening threads.

'tis done and up..... And no they don't and the weather forum is almost the friendliest of all

I am bad at separating weather and its effects; comes of living where and as i do; apologies for the distractions.....

Saturday, 24 April, 2010

TODAY will be pleasantly warm and filtered sunshine will break through increasing high cloud, although in the west clouds will lower and rain will follow by afternoon, with some fog or mist near the outer west coast. This may be fairly light rain, 3-5 mms, reaching the east in showery form by late afternoon. Winds will increase to SSE 15-30 mph, and highs will vary from 15 C west to 18-20 C east.

TONIGHT, showers will continue with possibly a rumble of thunder, and it will be quite mild and misty too (3-5 mms rain likely). Lows will be 8-10 C.

SUNDAY will feature gradual clearing and a fresh SW wind of 20-30 mph with highs of 16-19 C.

MONDAY will be mostly cloudy with some sunny intervals in the southeast, and quite warm, with light southerly winds. This will make the south and east coasts rather cool from onshore sea breezes, with local highs of 15 C or lower, but otherwise, the highs should reach 19-22 C.

TUESDAY will continue mostly cloudy and warm with periods of rain developing in the west, highs 17 C west to 20 C east, and some heavier rain possible.

WED-THURS will be mild and showery with moderate SW to W winds, gusty at times, and rainfalls in the 5-15 mm range, with daytime highs of 16-18 C.

FRIDAY-SATURDAY will turn cooler with gusty WNW to NNW winds developing, showers and highs of 12-14 C. By Sunday, the next interval of mild to warm, settled weather should be developing (with any luck it may arrive on Saturday afternoon).

Friday 23rd weather here was cloudy with periods of light rain setting in by mid-afternoon (which is about 22z here).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Kenn81

Rain badly needed to keep the forest fires at bay

Sunday, 25 April, 2010

TODAY will be rather warm and humid with heavy showers, possibly thundery, moving through central and eastern counties this morning from around Shannon (likely to miss most of Connacht). There should be an improvement by afternoon to widely scattered isolated showers and some sunshine. Highs will be 17-19 C, and winds SW 15-30 mph.

TONIGHT will be partly cloudy with fog patches developing and winds dropping to light southerly, lows 7-9 C.

MONDAY will feature some hazy sunshine with thicker cloud near the west and north coasts, and some chance of drizzle or light rain there. It will be quite warm in the central and inland southeastern counties, with highs of 18 to 20 C. Further west and north, highs will be 15-17 C. (morning lows 5-7 C).

TUESDAY will be similar except for a gradual spread of the low cloud and drizzle from western to more central counties, but otherwise, temperatures will be similar.

WEDNESDAY will be cloudy with some sunny intervals, and some heavy showers, chance of a thunderstorm. Highs will be around 16 C, following morning lows of about 8 C.

THURSDAY will also be showery and still rather warm at about 16 C.

FRIDAY is likely to bring colder and unsettled conditions, with highs of about 12 to 14 C and strong west to northwest winds developing.

NEXT WEEKEND should see gradual improvement as high pressure builds back across Ireland, with highs of about 15 C Saturday and 17 C Sunday.

Meanwhile, Saturday 24th here was cloudy with brief showers, not amounting to very much rain, and chilly temperatures only 10-12 C.

Monday, 26 April, 2010

TODAY will start out cloudy and in some places misty, then brighten to some hazy sunshine. There could be a light shower in one or two locations but nothing very heavy. Highs 18-20 C except cooler near south coast and very close to east coast, due to onshore sea breeze as winds increase to SSE 10-20 mph.

TONIGHT will be hazy and mild with fog or mist developing, and drizzle near the Atlantic coast. Lows will be 8-10 C.

TUESDAY will be mostly cloudy and warm with a few brief sunny intervals in eastern counties. Rain will develop near the west coast and edge further east by late afternoon, 5-8 mms possible. Highs will be 17-19 C. Winds will increase to S 15-30 mph.

WEDNESDAY will be partly to mostly cloudy with frequent heavy showers giving 10-20 mms of rain, with high temperatures of about 16-18 C and winds SW 15-30 mph.

THURSDAY will also be cloudy with showers and a bit cooler with highs 14-16 C east, 12-14 C west, as winds become more westerly.

FRIDAY is likely to bring cooler conditions with a period of steady light rain and winds veering W to NW 15-30 mph, highs near 12 C.

NEXT WEEKEND will probably see gradual improvements, still rather breezy and cool on Saturday, although mainly dry, and Sunday giving longer sunny intervals and less windy, with highs near 16 C.

The weather here on Sunday (25th) was cloudy with a bit of light rain at times, and still rather chilly, high near 12 C.

Tuesday, 27 April, 2010

TODAY will be mostly cloudy with just a few brief sunny intervals in the southeast, where it will also remain dry longest and achieve highs near 18 C. Further west, expect at least some rain, heavier in west-central counties (5-10 mms possible), and humid conditions with highs near 16 C. Winds will become stronger, SSW 15-30 mph. Hill fog will develop in western counties.

TONIGHT will be mild and humid with periods of rain, and lows of only 10 to 12 C, with winds SSW 15-30 mph.

WEDNESDAY will feature some heavy showers, some of them thundery, but also some sunny intervals, as winds become WSW 15-30 mph. It will be less humid but highs will be similar to today, 16-18 C.

THURSDAY will be partly cloudy and showery, although these showers may be brief but thundery with hail in some places, and highs of 14-16 C. Winds will continue breezy at W 15-30 mph.

FRIDAY will become mostly cloudy with occasional light rain, some brief intervals of brighter weather, and chilly W-NW winds, with highs 12-14 C.

SATURDAY will also be quite cool with mostly cloudy skies, some light rain or drizzle at first in Ulster and east Leinster, then a few sunny intervals by afternoon, winds NNW 10-20 mph and highs 11-13 C.

SUNDAY morning could bring scattered ground frost, then a cool and partly cloudy day with highs of 13-15 C.

It should warm up gradually through early next week.

Meanwhile, the weather here on Monday 26th was cloudy and rather warm with rain arriving mid-afternoon, highs near 16 C.

A major severe weather event will develop out of this front as it moves towards the central plains states by Thursday (29th).

Wednesday, 28 April, 2010

TODAY, morning showers in the east and north should end soon, with clearing skies to follow, but a second line of heavy showers may develop by later morning near the west coast and move rapidly across the country, bringing brief heavy and thundery showers with some hail, gusty winds, and 5-15 mms of rain. Winds will be SW 20-40 mph with some higher gusts, and highs will be in the 15-17 C range.

TONIGHT will become partly cloudy to clear with cooler temperatures although likely no frost, lows 3-6 C.

THURSDAY will bring increasing cloudiness and isolated showers by afternoon and evening. Highs will be 13-15 C and winds WSW 15-30 mph.

FRIDAY will be cloudy with periods of light rain and chilly NW winds 20-30 mph, backing to SW by evening. Highs will be 11-13 C after a rather chilly start (lows 2-4 C, local ground frost).

SATURDAY will be cloudy with periods of rain heavier in Ulster and later in east Leinster during the morning to mid-day period, and in the southeast by afternoon. Further west, although it won't be dry, the rain will be more showery or drizzly and may not amount to much more than 1-2 mms but the east may see 5-10 mms. During the afternoon it will become quite chilly with winds turning NNE 15-25 mph. Temperatures will be steady 8-10 C then falling off to about 6 C.

SUNDAY will be cloudy with a few brighter intervals, but still some chance of drizzly showers mainly in the east. The morning could bring a local frost in central counties, and widespread lows of 2-4 C. The afternoon will be a bit more pleasant than Saturday but still not very good, highs of 12-15 C and some brief sunny intervals.

MONDAY is likely to be partly cloudy east, sunny west, and still a bit on the cool side especially in the east, highs in the 13-16 C range.

This cool spell will probably linger to some extent as the flow remains weak northerly most of the week (but with some luck the high will crest right over Ireland, this could bring several rather frosty nights but at least some longer sunny intervals each day).

Meanwhile, we've had a rather bright day here on Tuesday, despite a fair amount of heavy looking cumulus cloud, only a few widely scattered showers which missed my location altogether. The high was about 14 C.

Watch for updates on today's heavy showers (from me, or from my many unseen helpers, I hope.)

Thursday, 29 April, 2010

No significant changes in forecast, running a bit late so have just copied and amended slightly ...

TODAY will be mostly cloudy with showers becoming more frequent from west to east through the morning and mid-day period (so dry for a while in the east) with moderate SW winds 10-20 mph, and a bit of a chill in the air compared to previous days, highs 12-14 C, and rainfalls of 5-10 mms in general (heavier west).

TONIGHT will be showery and cool with lows of about 3-5 C and some chance of ground frost in a few spots if it clears briefly towards dawn.

FRIDAY will be cloudy with periods of light rain and chilly NW winds 20-30 mph, backing to SW by evening. Highs will be 11-13 C.

SATURDAY, after a chilly start with mostly cloudy skies and morning lows of about 3-5 C, the day will be cloudy with periods of rain heavier in Ulster and later in east Leinster during the morning to mid-day period, and in the southeast by afternoon. Further west, although it won't be dry, the rain will be more showery or drizzly and may not amount to much more than 1-2 mms but the east may see 5-10 mms. During the afternoon it will become quite chilly with winds turning NNE 15-25 mph. Temperatures will be steady 9-11 C then falling off to about 7 C.

SUNDAY will be cloudy with a few brighter intervals, but still some chance of drizzly showers mainly in the east. The morning could bring a local frost in central counties, and widespread lows of 2-4 C. The afternoon will be a bit more pleasant than Saturday but still not very good, highs of 12-15 C and some brief sunny intervals.

MONDAY is likely to be partly cloudy east, sunny west, and still a bit on the cool side especially in the east, highs in the 13-16 C range.

This cool spell will probably linger to some extent as the flow remains weak northerly most of the week, but it appears that the high will crest right over Ireland by about Tuesday, so this could bring several rather frosty nights but at least some longer sunny intervals each day as the week progresses.

We enjoyed a fairly pleasant day here with a mixture of blue skies and threatening looking shower clouds that failed to drop any rain, although at one point there was a ragged funnel cloud very close to my location (nothing very threatening, the winds at the surface were SSW 5-10 mph).

There may be a major severe weather outbreak around midnight GMT in the central plains states of the U.S., perhaps this will get a thread going later today.

Friday, 30 April, 2010

TODAY will be cloudy with a few sunny intervals, and scattered showers, some of which could be a bit on the heavy side, but average rainfalls will be in the 5-10 mm range. High temperatures will reach 12-14 C, and winds will be rather light from the west to northwest, backing somewhat to southwest later.

TONIGHT will continue rather damp and chilly with lows of about 3-6 C, and if it happens to clear for any length of time, dense fog could develop.

SATURDAY will be showery or even rainy (heavier amounts seem likely in the east) and it will be rather cool all day but will turn even colder in the evening. Highs of about 10-12 C will be followed by evening temperatures of 5-7 C in Ulster and this will spread further south by midnight, as winds become more NE'ly at 10-20 mph. Rainfalls will be in the range of 10-15 mms.

SUNDAY will be cloudy with a few sunny intervals and residual showers with the possibility of light ground frost in the northwest, lows generally 2-4 C, and highs of 11-14 C in a fairly brisk NNE wind of 15-25 mph.

MONDAY will be a somewhat improved day with morning frosts possible in rural areas, daytime highs of 12-15 C under partly sunny skies, and lighter northerly winds.

TUESDAY will also be partly sunny with a morning frost quite possible, and continuing rather cool daytime temperatures. Later in the week, the southeast may get into a chilly NE'ly flow coming across the UK and containing a lot of cloud and drizzly rain, but this may not affect other parts of Ireland as badly. And once that's done, the high will edge back closer and there should be further dry spells and rather cool weather later in the week.

Meanwhile, the weather here on Thursday 29th was sunny with cloudy intervals and still a bit on the cool side at 14 C. Severe storms are currently active in Kansas even though it's past midnight there.

Saturday, 1 May, 2010

TODAY could provide a brief dry interval in the Dublin region this morning, but most other parts of the country will be dealing with frequent showers that will move into Dublin by mid-day also; sunshine will be hard to find and it will stay quite chilly at 10-12 C, and by this evening a colder NE flow will reach Ulster and start to push further south. Rainfalls of 10-15 mms will be widespread and somewhat heavier rain will track southeast across the centre of the country in association with low pressure. Winds will respond to this by backing to SE then NE in eastern Ireland, and veering from SW to NW across Munster, in most cases 10-20 mph. One or two thundery downpours could develop by mid-day around Offaly, Laois and Tipps.

TONIGHT will be very chilly although frost will be largely prevented by the cloud and steady NE breeze; lows of 2-4 C will be widespread, and there will be a drizzly rain that could fall as sleet or snow on higher ground.

SUNDAY will be breezy and cool with a few isolated showers but also some sunny intervals, winds NNE 10-20 mph and highs only 10-13 C.

MONDAY, following a scattered morning frost, will become partly cloudy; the western counties may fare best for sunshine, and there may be one or two showers by mid-day in the daytime cloud over central and inland eastern counties. Highs will reach 11-14 C after morning lows from -1 to +2 C.

TUESDAY looks about the same with perhaps a bit more sunshine on average.

LATER in the week, Wednesday and Thursday may be somewhat warmer with more sunshine around in proximity to high pressure, then a cloudier northeast flow will develop with some light showers returning, and it may turn a bit cooler again.

Friday (30 April) here was a partly to mostly cloudy day that became showery by late afternoon, with a high near 13 C.

Sunday, 2 May, 2010

TODAY will be mostly cloudy with some outbreaks of chilly rain (watch for snow on higher peaks) mostly in the north, east and central counties, while western counties could see brief sunny intervals. The wind everywhere will be northeast to north at about 15-25 mph adding quite a chill at times to the rather low temperatures as highs struggle to surpass 10 C. Rainfalls will only be 1-3 mms in most cases, locally 5 or so.

TONIGHT will be cold enough for some local frost under partly cloudy skies, as the scattered sleety showers die out. Lows will range from -1 to +3 C.

MONDAY will be partly cloudy with longer cloudy intervals in the east around mid-day, and there could be some brief drizzly showers, but it may turn more pleasant by afternoon in the west and south. Highs will reach 13-15 C.

TUESDAY will become more sunny especially in the south, with another risk of morning frost, then reasonably pleasant daytime temperatures in light northwest winds, around 15 C.

WEDNESDAY will be partly cloudy and largely dry, with a slight risk of showers in Ulster and near the east coast of Leinster. Highs will be 14-16 C.

From THURSDAY on through next weekend, the trend is towards more cloud and a slight risk of showers each day in generally light NE to N winds. The temperatures should be fairly close to 5 C for lows and 14 C for highs.

Meanwhile, the weather here on Saturday (1st of May) was cloudy to start, sunny by mid-day and afternoon, with a rather chilly westerly breeze, highs near 13 C.

Severe storms have continued for another day in Arkansas, Tennessee and parts of nearby states.

What's your seasonal outlook MT?

• Advertisement

Monday, 3 May, 2010

TODAY will continue quite chilly with variable cloud cover, some isolated light showers more likely in north central counties, and moderate N-NE winds at 10-20 mph. Highs will be in the range of 10 to 13 C.

TONIGHT will bring another risk of frost after long clear intervals, with the lowest temperatures around -1 to +3 C.

TUESDAY will be partly cloudy or even sunny in a few spots, with lighter northerly winds than today, and highs of about 12-14 C.

WEDNESDAY will bring increasing cloud and mid-day showers turning to drizzly light rain in some places, with morning lows of 2-4 C and highs of 11-13 C.

THURSDAY will see gradual clearing with continued rather chilly temperatures, lows of 3-5 C and highs of 12-14 C.

FRIDAY will bring another gradual increase in cloud and eventually some light rain may return with a similar temperature range to previous days.

SATURDAY currently looks rather unpleasant with moderate northeast winds and widespread showers with cool temperatures.

My summer outlook will follow fairly soon this week, still working on that concept. I don't expect this cool weather to last all through May, however.

We've had a really dismal day here (Sunday 2nd) with cloudy skies and rain becoming rather heavy much of the afternoon and evening, and quite chilly with it too (around 10 C).

Tuesday, 4 May, 2010

TODAY may start a bit on the damp side in parts of Ulster and north Leinster with some patchy drizzle, but further west and south the sun may make occasional appearances with a mixture of cloud and sunshine; winds today will be generally a bit lighter than previous days (NW 10-15 mph) and it may feel a bit warmer although highs will only reach 12-14 C.

TONIGHT will return to a mix of cloud and clear skies with patchy ground frost inland, and lows generally 1-4 C.

WEDNESDAY will feature increasing cloud and some light rain developing from north to south in moderate NW winds 15-25 mph, highs around 13 C.

THURSDAY, after another rather chilly morning with scattered ground frost and lows of 2-4 C, the daytime hours could be somewhat improved with sunny intervals and highs reaching perhaps 14-15 C, in northerly winds backing to northeast 10-20 mph.

FRIDAY will be a more unsettled day with moderate NE winds of 15-30 mph and showers especially in the southeast which could see some heavier downpours, but average rainfalls away from this area will only be 1-3 mms. Highs of about 12-14 C can be expected, after morning lows near 5 C.

NEXT WEEKEND looks similar to Friday in general, cloudy with a few brighter intervals, scattered showers, a few of them heavy, and winds NE 15-30 mph.

This pattern is expected to lead to a colder outbreak around Monday and Tuesday which could see some very unseasonable temperatures and wintry showers in the north especially, which would then modify into a more settled ridge that could bring a slow warming trend later next week.

Meanwhile, Monday (3rd May) here was a very windy day with gradually clearing skies, gusts to 90 km/hr were reported in the morning. The high was about 12-14 C but by evening it felt very cold out as the winds had not dropped off much.

Wednesday, 5 May, 2010

TODAY will be mostly cloudy with periods of light rain already underway in the north and east, spreading further south but perhaps avoiding some parts of the west, before slight clearing develops by afternoon. Highs will be 12-14 C in moderate NW winds of 10-20 mph.

TONIGHT will be cloudy with a few breaks, and still the odd shower around, with lows generally 4-7 C.

THURSDAY will bring variable amounts of cloud, a slight risk of a shower, and somewhat milder temperatures around 15-16 C.

FRIDAY will turn cooler again with moderate E-NE winds developing, a few localized brief showers mainly inland east, but also some sunny intervals, lows of about 4-7 C and highs 8-12 C.

SATURDAY will continue rather windy and cool with scattered showers in a gusty ENE wind of 20-40 mph, lows of about 5 C and highs near 11 C.

SUNDAY will be slightly milder as winds ease and turn more northwesterly again, ahead of a slow-moving cold front from the north which will arrive Monday with a few showers. Temperatures through this period will be near 12 or 13 C then may fall off to near 8 C, and it could be quite chilly by next Tuesday before a rather prolonged warming trend sets in mid-week.

The weather here on Tuesday 4th was breezy and partly cloudy with isolated hail showers (more frequent south of here in WA and OR states). It remains quite chilly with highs only near 11 C.

Thursday, 6 May, 2010

TODAY, some morning showers will end soon in the southeast, and other regions will see gradually brightening skies with some sunny intervals developing. Highs will reach 14-16 C. There may be some showers by evening towards midnight in the east as cooler air returns from that direction.

TONIGHT will turn chilly with east to northeast winds of 15-30 mph and some showers developing, lows of 4-7 C.

FRIDAY and SATURDAY will be cool, windy days with some heavy showers at times, but also some sunny intervals, these likely more frequent in the west. Winds will continue E-NE 15-30 mph with higher gusts, and highs both days will be around 10-12 C; Saturday morning will see lows near 5 C.

SUNDAY will be partly cloudy with a few showers also, but not as windy, with winds backing to NW, lows of 3-5 C and highs of 12-14 C.

MONDAY will start out partly cloudy with showers and highs mid-day near 12 C, then it may turn even cooler on northerly winds late in the day.

TUESDAY and WEDNESDAY will be chilly with highs only 9-11 C and wintry showers possible over higher ground, showers elsewhere, although some longer sunny intervals in the south. After this, it should start to warm up gradually and there are indications of some rather warm weather in the week that follows.

Meanwhile, the weather here on Wednesday (5th) was partly cloudy and cool with a high of 12 C, after some isolated frost outside the city in the early morning. The eastern parts of the U.S. have had a very warm start to May, for the first five days the departure from normal is about 15 F or 8 C degrees, and it has been almost as warm as a normal July week. This seems set to continue to some extent for several more days.

Friday, 7 May, 2010

TODAY will be rather chilly for this time of year, with northeast winds of about 15-30 mph, and frequent showers in eastern counties, sometimes spreading further west (although some western districts will be dry and also will see a bit more sunshine). Rainfalls of 3-7 mms can be expected in the east, 0-2 mms further west. The highs today will range from about 10 C in the east to 14 C near the west coast.

TONIGHT will be partly cloudy with some longer clear intervals, and lows of about 3-6 C. Some scattered grass frost is possible in central counties. Winds will drop off to NE 5-15 mph.

SATURDAY will become partly to mostly cloudy in a strong E-NE flow, winds of 20-40 mph, and highs only 9-13 C (warmer towards the west coast). There will be a few showers or periods of drizzle.

SUNDAY will be slightly improved with partly cloudy skies, less widespread showers, and lighter winds backing to NW, with highs near 13 C after morning lows of 3-5 C.

MONDAY to WEDNESDAY, the flow will become northerly and it will stay quite cool for this time of year. Highs will be only 9-13 C each day, and there could be some prolonged showers especially in the north, with sleety or even snowy precipitation on higher hills in Connacht and Ulster. The weather will probably be a bit less unsettled in the south which could get some longer sunny intervals.

Somewhat warmer weather should follow, although models are not too consistent yet on a prolonged sustained warming trend.

The weather over here yesterday (Thursday 6th) was sunny in some parts of the region, and cloudy in others; light winds meant that the skies stayed either clear or overcast for much of the day. I lucked out and had sunshine, and it felt much warmer although it was really just a little warmer than previous days at 15 C.

Some very severe storms are brewing for the Midwest U.S. on Friday afternoon and evening (their time), IL-IN-OH being the target zone.

Saturday, 8 May, 2010

TODAY will be cool and mostly cloudy except for frequent sunny intervals near the west coast. Some showers may make occasional forays into southern counties from the Irish Sea, and highs will be only 10-12 C with winds quite gusty at times, ENE 15-35 mph.

TONIGHT will be partly cloudy with some longer clear intervals, as any stray showers dissipate. It may become frosty in a few spots but lows will be generally 2-4 C. Winds will drop off to NE 5-15 mph.

SUNDAY will be slightly milder with less breezy conditions as winds back to NNW 10-15 mph. Skies will be variable and there could be one or two afternoon showers in northern counties mostly. Highs will reach 13-15 C.

MONDAY will be cloudy with showers or drizzly light rain, and it will be a bit cooler again in a developing northerly flow of 15-25 mph, with lows near 2 C and highs near 11 C.

TUESDAY could be near-record cold with frosts in the morning, highs only 8 to 12 C from north to south, and some wintry showers possible over higher parts of Ulster and Connacht, in variable northerly winds and partly cloudy skies.

WEDNESDAY will continue rather chilly with lows of 2-4 C and highs of about 11 to 13 C, with a few showers and northerly winds.

THURSDAY will turn milder but there will likely be some rain in the morning as warm fronts move in from the west. The temperature range will be from lows near 6 C to highs near 14 C.

From then on, it should stay seasonable for a few days; there is some risk of one more cold spell before a more substantial warming trend later in the month.

Meanwhile, Friday (7th) was a picture-perfect sunny day here, with towering cumulus over the distant north shore mountains, and a fairly warm high of about 16 C. Some severe storms broke out a few hours ago in Ohio and they are now moving into Pennsylvania, on their way to New York and New England on Saturday. Gusts to 60 mph are possible in those states today.

Clear sunny skies here in Dublin today.

UPDATE _ Saturday, 7 pm

The weather turned out more settled in most of Ireland today than forecast, as the cloud from the U.K. streamed just to the south of Wexford and off to sea. This will probably mean that tonight's lows will also need to be revised, so that the average low expected will be in the 1-3 C range, with some local frost quite likely. One or two colder spots could reach -2 C. Tomorrow, the source for cloud would be to the north as winds back from ENE to more of a NNW direction, and I think the day is likely to become cloudier than today, especially in the northern half of the country.

Sunday, 9 May, 2010

TODAY will start out sunny but cloud is likely to increase in northern counties by mid-day. There is only a slight chance of a shower there, and further south, the clouds may begin to appear by late afternoon. It may feel a bit warmer today, partly because of lighter winds. Highs will average 13-15 C, winds generally NNW 10-20 mph.

TONIGHT will be another chilly and in some places frosty night with lows in the range of -1 to +3 C for most places. Skies will be partly cloudy to clear.

MONDAY will continue fairly similar although there may be more cloud about by mid-day, and a greater risk of light showers in the north. Highs will reach 10-13 C (warmer in the south). Winds generally northerly 10-20 mph.

TUESDAY will become even cooler and there may be widespread frost in the morning, with lows -3 to +2 C. The daytime hours will become partly to mostly cloudy with wintry showers possible over northern hills, rain showers further south and closer to sea level. Winds will be northerly at 15-25 mph, and highs only 8-11 C.

WEDNESDAY will also bring some risk of morning frost and cool daytime temperatures, although lighter winds. The temperature range will be a few degrees higher than Tuesday, from near 2 to near 13 C.

THURSDAY will start out clear and perhaps frosty but cloud will rapidly increase and rain may follow from the west in a light SW to W wind flow (becoming moderate near the west coast). The high will eventually reach 14 C or so.

After that, the slightly milder air mass will fade back to a chilly variety from a more northerly source again, before any substantial warming beyond next weekend.

Meanwhile, our day here on Saturday (8th) was clear and sunny with towering cumulus just to our north, almost overhead but not blocking out the sun (we get a few days like this due to the orographic lift to the north). The high was about 15 C. Some parts of Ohio where it was 80 F on Friday were coping with 40 F and strong winds on Saturday, and snow was reported in many parts of Michigan and Ontario. Despite that, the May anomaly so far in New York City stands at about +12 F or +7 C, but this is about to be reduced sharply in the next three days.

• Advertisement

Stunning morning so far.

Advertisement