Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issues with old Landlord/Estate Agent

Options
  • 01-06-2009 7:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

this may be the wrong forum but any help would be greatly appreciated and I am not too sure where to put this one.

A month ago i moved home, handed the keys back to the Estate Agent that was managing the Property. I have since been waiting for my deposit.

According to the Estate agents ( who return roughly one of every 5 of my calls ) the landlord still has not given them back any desposit for me and they are "not sure what they can do about it".

I am wondering is there any body or group that i can take my complaint to? What would be the best way of getting this resolved?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

how long has it been? edit: Its been a month

I would go ballistic, sit in the estate agents office until a manager gave me the cheque

or contact Threshold

and look at the lease to see what my options are legally, if the estate agent is named as the lessor then your contract is with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

also might be worth contacting the PRTB and see if they can advise or assist in getting your deposit back. most landlords will use deposits to cover "normal wear and tear" which they are not supposed to do!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Dragan wrote: »
    Hey folks,

this may be the wrong forum but any help would be greatly appreciated and I am not too sure where to put this one.

A month ago i moved home, handed the keys back to the Estate Agent that was managing the Property. I have since been waiting for my deposit.

According to the Estate agents ( who return roughly one of every 5 of my calls ) the landlord still has not given them back any desposit for me and they are "not sure what they can do about it".

Whp did you pay the deposit to, the landlord or the estate agent?

If it was the estate agent I'd look for the money from them and leave them follow it up with the landlord in their own time for the money from him/her as at the end of the day they have a contract with the landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

It's the estate agents responsibility, if you paid the deposit to them they should NEVER have handed it over to the landlord. It is their job to hold the deposit until you move out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭daheff

Most letting agents would hold your deposit in a client account for the landlord...to this smells of bs to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

eth0_ wrote: »
    It's the estate agents responsibility, if you paid the deposit to them they should NEVER have handed it over to the landlord. It is their job to hold the deposit until you move out.

That's totally false, the deposit is given to the landlord check your lease if you have one and you'll find the contract is with the landlord not the estate agent. It should give the details regarding the returning of the deposit

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The estate agent probably needed your deposit to pay their monthly wages .

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Accomodation and Property

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Dragan wrote: »

Rookie mistake........and I've done it :o Though you're probably older and have more experience then me
    Doing what you did is seen as some landlords and their agents as an invitation to use your deposit to redecorate the place.
    And maybe sometimes cleaning is needed, but not hiring contract cleaners at 30 euro per hour! Hey, I don't even earn close to that.

Next time arrange a time and a date, you bring the keys and they bring a cheque book.
    If there are issues you sort them then and there, no letters or emails going back and forth for weeks and weeks

Now go sit in your letting agents office or buzz their door until you get this sorted :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Inform the estate agent that they have x amount of time (I think 2 days is reasonable). After this time you are lodging a formal complaint with the PRTB.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

smccarrick wrote: »
    Inform the estate agent that they have x amount of time (I think 2 days is reasonable). After this time you are lodging a formal complaint with the PRTB.

And then wait two years until the PRTB finally get around to your case.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

penexpers wrote: »
    And then wait two years until the PRTB finally get around to your case.

The current waiting list is 4 months- and a judgement can lead to civil proceedings and naming and shaming in the national media- which most people would rather not countenance. It is the prescribed course of action however- and even if there is a delay- the wheels of justice do slowly turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Sorry to be dragging up an old case, but we've had an open case with the PRTB for over a year now. They are the most incompetent group of people whom I've ever had to deal with in my life. I understand that they are busy but when it takes 3 weeks (happened twice now) to post a letter to us the tenants, when it's been sitting on their desks, ye know things ain't right. I'm hoping to have this mess sorted one way or another in the next couple of week's and we'll hopefully be done with them.
    and a judgement can lead to civil proceedings and naming and shaming in the national media

What happens when the landlord you're bringing the case against is the national media?

Hopefully we'll be done and dusted in the next few weeks, but if not I'll be throwing the entire case up here, as it's an absolute joke, and intitially this is where I came first to see what advise was available.

Advertisement