Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey's introduce a cover-charge

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Merlante, if Harvey's is so popular, the best of it's type, how come NOBODY goes there before 11pm? Most people I know go there purely because it's a late bar with current music, as opposed to Muldoons with it's old music.

It would appear that the idea was to milk the latecomers for all they're worth. As we all know, they already increase their drink prices at 11pm, so effectively, they're double-taxing people who go there after 11pm - and that is most of their clientele.

Muldoons might be a poor alternative to some people (Masons too), but it is now the cheaper alternative and once more people cotton on to that fact, there will be more and more people frequenting these places and suddenly, they will be the places to be once again.

If Harveys want to get more money in, the way to attract more people before 11pm is to run some promotions, have happy-hours etc... not to try and bully people into going there before 11pm.

In future, I will think twice before going there. I might venture up to the door and see if it is free entry. If they're charging, I'm not paying. I will not change the habits of a lifetime and go there early just because it'll be free entry...unless they make it worth my while, make it an attraction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Pubs, late bars and clubs in Dublin are offering three quid drinks and free in.

And Harvey's? Exclusive? My arse.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Harveys is far from exclusive.. as others have said, its a late bar with a dancefloor and thats it.. nothing more.. They over charge for drink and do basically everything on the cheap.. I rarely go there and when I do, its the last option, but with a €10 charge on the door, I wont be going there again..

The owners are hardly model businessmen in the area and in the years I worked in the bar trade I've seen them c*ck up again and again.. They are in it for the quick buck to pay for their expensive toys.. nothing more..

I wouldnt be surprised when they realise that its going to turn more away than it attracts and when profits start dropping, that door charge so do a quick vanishing trick.. :rolleyes:

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    Harveys is far from exclusive.. as others have said, its a late bar with a dancefloor and thats it.. nothing more.. They over charge for drink and do basically everything on the cheap.. I rarely go there and when I do, its the last option, but with a €10 charge on the door, I wont be going there again..

The owners are hardly model businessmen in the area and in the years I worked in the bar trade I've seen them c*ck up again and again.. They are in it for the quick buck to pay for their expensive toys.. nothing more..

I wouldnt be surprised when they realise that its going to turn more away than it attracts and when profits start dropping, that door charge so do a quick vanishing trick.. :rolleyes:

I imagine sooner rather than later, that cover charge will go up in smoke!

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

I stand to be corrected but was speaking to a mate of mine who goes in there a good bit and he was under the impression that it was only a one off thing as there were 2 lads from Coronation St in there on the Saturday night.

Have to say i hate the place myself especially after an incident I witnessed there one night with their bouncers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Paying for the privilege of being fleeced for drink? No thanks.

jimbojazz wrote: »
    I stand to be corrected but was speaking to a mate of mine who goes in there a good bit and he was under the impression that it was only a one off thing as there were 2 lads from Coronation St in there on the Saturday night.

Have to say i hate the place myself especially after an incident I witnessed there one night with their bouncers

The doorman told me it was a new thing they started that night.

Two lads from Coronation Street? So what... They never charge when Dermo from Fair City is in there! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

gscully wrote: »
    Merlante, if Harvey's is so popular, the best of it's type, how come NOBODY goes there before 11pm? Most people I know go there purely because it's a late bar with current music, as opposed to Muldoons with it's old music.

Why would you want to go in there before 11pm, it's a late pub/club?

For the 26 plus VAT, as someone said, it is the venue of choice in the city centre. Muldoons needs an overhaul, Ruby's Lounge only fits about 10 people comfortably. Everywhere else will be objected to on the basis that it's full of kids, too small, or plays a type of music that rubs a few members of most groups up the wrong way. Harvey's is pretty much the only place where the older crowd, with a high percentage comprising teachers, nurses, people working in WIT, and generally speaking earning a few quid, who will probably pay the tenner, will go. Muldoons coming in a distant second. Of course lots of other people go there, and lots of people will boycott it now. But I reckon it will still do well.

Whenever a crowd of people around my age (30) are heading out, the venue always ends up being Harvey's. It's the in place. That's if they ever leave the Dunmore rd. in the first place. When I was 17 it was 7 pounds on the door in most places. That's probably around 15 euro in todays money. People will pay in if the feel the effort has been made on the inside and/or they reckon the talent will be worth it. The older crowd would pay to keep the kids out, just like electric picnic, although granted the older crowd wouldn't be quite enough to keep Harvey's going.

Like I said, the proof will be in the pudding. No use telling me I'm full of crap, have a bit of patience and we'll find out. They might just get sick of people complaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

merlante wrote: »
    When I was 17 it was 7 pounds on the door in most places. That's probably around 15 euro in todays money.

I remember when it used be a Fiver into Preachers back in the early 90's ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Junior wrote: »

You could grease a palm and get into the bridge for £2 in the early 90's too :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

Junior wrote: »

used to be a fiver into the roxy in the 90's as well , and you'd get a dinner voucher with it also !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

Well, you're entitled to your opinion. In my opinion, the knacker kip that is the Wacky Apple makes Harvey's look like the Ritz, but that's opinions for ye.

The point is that Harvey's at the weekend is extremely popular. There is no doubting this. Putting a tenner on the door will probably turn out to make them a lot of money. A tenner is two drinks. That's about 50% more than I'd say the average person drinks in there. Your economic analysis is too simplistic and assumes a competitive market. Harvey's has poor competition, therefore people will pay for the better product. Also, as I said, there is a possibility that if all skint people and undesirables are kept out and the people who pay in feel more special, then the numbers could increase. It's human psychology. The proof will be in the pudding.

If Harvey's were struggling with poor demand, then I'd say drop the prices, but at the moment they are oversubscribed if anything.

a tenner is two drinks?not in harveys it aint after 11,costs 5.45 for a pint if i remember correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

anplaya wrote: »
    a tenner is two drinks?not in harveys it aint after 11,costs 5.45 for a pint if i remember correctly.

im sorry i had to read that again 5.45 for a pint?!

jaysus its nearly as expensive as the bar @ the Westin in Dublin!

no wait actually ......... its more!

magick wrote: »
    im sorry i had to read that again 5.45 for a pint?!

jaysus its nearly as expensive as the bar @ the Westin in Dublin!

no wait actually ......... its more!

was only just after takin out money at the atm,had no change on me at all,went to the bar and ordered 2 drinks ,had a tenner in me hand and yer one behind the bar goes to me 10.90 .i was like what?had to hand her over a bigger note.i remember tellin the lads and they were like fcuks sake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

and if ya get fed up of the dirty stinking pint and change to double vodka and red bull it comes in at over 16 yoyo,s, have,nt been there in a while tend to just go on our usuall spots like rev,s masons hop across the road to muldoons and head upstairs through muldoons to oxygen!! i,m 25 and i come across alot of my age and older in oxygen

and if ya get fed up of the dirty stinking pint and change to double vodka and red bull it comes in at over 16 yoyo,s, have,nt been there in a while tend to just go on our usuall spots like rev,s masons hop across the road to muldoons and head upstairs through muldoons to oxygen!! i,m 25 and i come across alot of my age and older in oxygen

yeah lot of fellas i know tend to keep away from harveys cause of the way they put the pints up,theyd rather head to oxygen or muldoons.cant understand why,muldoons has to be the worst place ever for gettin a pint,watered down and tastes like piss(not that id know:eek:) and it only costs 25 cent less than harveys lol and oxygen is full of wannabe gansta rappers and hardmen looking for fights ,rubys is full of secondary school kids who think their extras in The Hills lol load of bollix lol

When reading about prices like this its no surprise ppl stay at home and have house partys, price for drink is too expensive.

yeah lot of fellas i know tend to keep away from harveys cause of the way they put the pints up,theyd rather head to oxygen or muldoons.cant understand why,muldoons has to be the worst place ever for gettin a pint,watered down and tastes like piss(not that id know:eek:) and it only costs 25 cent less than harveys lol and oxygen is full of wannabe gansta rappers and hardmen looking for fights ,rubys is full of secondary school kids who think their extras in The Hills lol load of bollix lol

Well, if you've been drinking all night and hit the club after 12, and taking into account that many of us are past the self-destruction by drink phase of their lives, people might only have 3 drinks in the late place. If it was a 50 cent per drink more in a good place than a bad place, then that means 1.50 more for the pleasure (not including door charges!). Anybody in their right mind would pay the 1.50 rather than suffer in a place they don't like.

Since we're giving statistically irrelevant anecdotes, my experience of Oxygen is the same: dodgy and dangerous. When I go into Muldoons I forget there's a stairs.

When reading about prices like this its no surprise ppl stay at home and have house partys, price for drink is too expensive.

Some people do that. A lot of people don't. Most of the cost of drink is tax remember. That actually means that those of us who go out on the town are actually paying for facilities for those who don't. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Sorry, what? And for the millionth time in this forum, if you get a ****-tasting pint its Diageo, Heineken or whoever you should be complaining to. They're responsible for all cleaning and maintenance of the beer lines and equipment. This applies to pretty much every pub in town. By all means hand it back and complain but there's no point in blaming the premises.

• Advertisement

Adyx wrote: »
    Sorry, what? And for the millionth time in this forum, if you get a ****-tasting pint its Diageo, Heineken or whoever you should be complaining to. They're responsible for all cleaning and maintenance of the beer lines and equipment. This applies to pretty much every pub in town. By all means hand it back and complain but there's no point in blaming the premises.

ooh touchy.well obviously they dont come down and clean them much do they .so thats up to the premise to sort it out,so yeah its the premises fault.

Some people do that. A lot of people don't. Most of the cost of drink is tax remember. That actually means that those of us who go out on the town are actually paying for facilities for those who don't. ;)

em, i think a lot of ppl do, because their sick of paying for overpriced drink

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

i,ve never experienced any scummy element in oxygen i go there regular and have never gotten started on by anyone in there!!!! ya could say that about anywhere though even the "exclusive" harveys lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Bulmers recently announced a price drop on their large bottles. Still more expensive than a pint (which along with the longnecks, haven't dropped in price), but any reduction is a welcome reduction. Of course it's up to individual establishments to subscribe to these offers.

i,ve never experienced any scummy element in oxygen i go there regular and have never gotten started on by anyone in there!!!! ya could say that about anywhere though even the "exclusive" harveys lol

trust me tis where the majority of the younger scumbaggy generation choose to go on a saturday night.harveys 'exclusive'?dont make me laugh:rolleyes:

em, i think a lot of ppl do, because their sick of paying for overpriced drink

Yeah, but those people don't go to Harvey's one way or the other do they? Isin't this thread supposed to be about the new cover charge and not another tirade about the price of drink and how people are staying at home these days. A couple of years ago it was the smoking ban, before that it was the stricter drink driving laws. If people don't want to go to pubs, they don't have to. There are still plenty of people who chose to go to Harvey's every week, and those are the people who will effectively decide whether or not this works out.

Also, anyone who thinks I said Harvey's was exclusive should learn how to read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

ooh touchy.well obviously they dont come down and clean them much do they .so thats up to the premise to sort it out,so yeah its the premises fault.

No it's up to the company to ensure they stick to the cleaning schedule. You don't just ring up and say come in and clean our lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭paddy smith

vote with your feet folks,
    if theres a cover charge' DONT GO IN. simple as that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

trust me tis where the majority of the younger scumbaggy generation choose to go on a saturday night.harveys 'exclusive'?dont make me laugh:rolleyes:

I was only in Oxeygen a couple of times. Some big pikey looking one took a fancy to me then when I started dancing (well me standing there shouting I cant dance while me lack jumps around) with the lack she gave me missus the evils. It was hilarious, I laughed once I got a far enough distance away from said pikey looking one .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭paddy smith

seanybiker wrote: »
    I was only in Oxeygen a couple of times. Some big pikey looking one took a fancy to me then when I started dancing (well me standing there shouting I cant dance while me lack jumps around) with the lack she gave me missus the evils. It was hilarious, I laughed once I got a far enough distance away from said pikey looking one .

are you drunk again seany :D

Advertisement