Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey's introduce a cover-charge

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Anon0000

have to agree with adyx on this one :D.not there fault diageo and heineken are a bunch of lazy b*stards!!!!
    As for the prices to get in count yereselves lucky - Rubys is €5 weds-friday and €10 on a saturday with harveys €10 after 11 and oxygen free through muldoons after a certain time with masons and revolution going late with free entry at weekends where as in cork which in my opinion not much better than waterford for nite life it is €15 into havana browns which is possibly the worst niteclub ive ever been. Try Killkenny where the dress codes are the most rediculious i have ever witnessed
    If i owned one of the clubs id be personally be charging more to put up with the **** that some people start with in their!
    As for attracting customers early what is wrong with pool,darts and poker competitions that are already happening and good local bands like San Fran Fiasco and up and coming bands like Doozer?;)
    All in all i think people here are just looking for reasons to complain just to make themselves feel better. What about the amount of people from outside waterford who would be checking these forums looking for places to head to for a nite out in waterford and instead of being told whats good there reading posts by people who have nothing better to do than to downgrade the city and basically turn potential visitors away and then complain that no-one wants to come to waterford!!!!!!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

vote with your feet folks,
    if theres a cover charge' DONT GO IN. simple as that.

Totally agree with you Paddy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

i can ageee with some of merlante there is saying, i don't have a major problem with paying a few euro extra on the night for somewhere that someone is going to wanna get sick on or jump me. However, harvey's doesn't need that cover charge. I personally don't mind too much now that i think of it cause if they look for the tenner i'll just go somewhere else.

I can see them doing a u turn on this fairly sharpess tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Whatever everyone's feelings on this (I personally will not be paying 10 euro to go there) I'm not so sure how quick they'll be to reverse it. They'll be looking at it purely from a money point of view.

What's the average spend in somewhere like this? Say 15 euro per person? It could even be less but let's go with that.

So if they get two thirds the amount of people that would normally be there to go and pay the tenner in, they've broken even. Then, with less people in there, those who are there might be more inclined to drink more because there'll be more room at the bar and the wait time to get served will be shorter. It might also be the case that they'll attract some people who wouldn't have normally gone there because it was too crowded. These people might be happy to pay a tenner for this privelage.

So unless they're seriously losing money because of the charge, I think it'll stay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

see not everyone go's in and only pays <€15 on drink. I'm not saying there is anything wromg with this hell i wish i could go out and do it. I personally could spend anything between 60 to even 120 in there between me amd mrs ziedth, it could even go higher if any of my "bad influence" friends go out. Point being even on my own on a quiet one i'd never go less then 40.

Now assuming one in 5 of the people in harveys are stupid like me and half of us decide to go elsewhere due to the cover charge by my maths for every 100 people with the new cover charge through the door they are going to be loosins the bones of maybe €600.

That isn't even mentioning the average drinker who now won't go in there. Now, in money terms maybe it'll work out the same but less money taken behind the bar will prob lead too less staff behind the which isn't good either, time will tell

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Remember, they only open 2 days a week now. They have a lot of overheads in there and I think that the door charge was a response to the lack of any serious competition in the area. I think they'll still prosper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

ziedth wrote: »
    see not everyone go's in and only pays <€15 on drink. I'm not saying there is anything wromg with this hell i wish i could go out and do it. I personally could spend anything between 60 to even 120 in there between me amd mrs ziedth, it could even go higher if any of my "bad influence" friends go out. Point being even on my own on a quiet one i'd never go less then 40.

Now assuming one in 5 of the people in harveys are stupid like me and half of us decide to go elsewhere due to the cover charge by my maths for every 100 people with the new cover charge through the door they are going to be loosins the bones of maybe €600.

That isn't even mentioning the average drinker who now won't go in there. Now, in money terms maybe it'll work out the same but less money taken behind the bar will prob lead too less staff behind the which isn't good either, time will tell

Yeah but average is just that, the average. I know some people who go in there and only have one drink. Specially girls I know who just spend the night dancing. So it probably evens out at about €15 per head I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

Well I am a person who paid the 10 euros last weekend cause I was with a group of friends who wanted to go. Even though I said I didn't want to pay the tenner I was out with a group of friends who wanted to go in regardless. From their point of view they are not from Waterford but from another city and it is common for them to pay to go to a late disco bar.

What pissed me off was that I paid a tenner, then I met people inside (mainly women) who got in for FREE. Then around 1.30am I noticed the cashier had disappeared at the door and it looked like people could get in for free mainly because the place was half empty around 1am.

Only two weeks ago I tried to get into Harveys around 1am and they shut the doors because it was full. There was big queues outside waiting. We waited 30 mins before the bouncer told the crowd (100 approx queuing) there is no chance of us getting in. Merlante makes good devils advocate points. You mightened like what he says but their is substance there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Jayeire

€10... what an utter joke.. an in recession times and all.. they should be ashamed

It's Waterford..not D4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

woo hoo had a great night in Harveys last night. They even gave me a loyalty card so I didnt have to pay the cover charge last night or any other night anymore...happy days.:D

Harveys was full last night.

Went to Muldoons first and it was crap. Jammed packed.

Huge difference in the type of people in Muldoons and Harveys.
    Went out with a big group. Half of the group stayed in Muldoons and half went to Harveys. We met the Muldoons group after wards and they didnt enjoy themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

woo hoo had a great night in Harveys last night. They even gave me a loyalty card so I didnt have to pay the cover charge last night or any other night anymore...happy days.:D

Harveys was full last night.

Went to Muldoons first and it was crap. Jammed packed.

Huge difference in the type of people in Muldoons and Harveys.
    Went out with a big group. Half of the group stayed in Muldoons and half went to Harveys. We met the Muldoons group after wards and they didnt enjoy themselves.

See, it's already getting exclusive. ;)

Squeezed into Ruby's Lounge/Woodman last night because one guy didn't want to pay a cover charge and it wasn't a big night. If there were more people up for things it would have still been Harvey's. Maybe that's a positive thing for Harvey's if only people who are up for a good/big night go in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Posers Harveys:P normall people Muldoons:D and exlcuisve my arse, same old music and crap djs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭holidayhere

gscully wrote: »
    I was out on Saturday night and we decided to head to Harveys around midnight. When we got there, they were taking money at the door. The doorman told us it was a new thing, beginning that night. If you go there after 11pm, expect to pay €10.

Now, there was no way we were paying so much for the privilige of standing in one inch of p*ss, or for overpriced drinks, so we went to Muldoons instead and it was fairly full in there.

Have Harvey's scored an own-goal, or will people still go there?

To me, it seemed a bad idea. There's a recession on, and if Harveys want to attract customers before 11pm, they should come up with more attractive ideas.
    This is ridiculous.
    If they were boycotted for a while, they would soon drop it.
    They should be glad of the business.
    I say BOYCOT

This is ridiculous.
    If they were boycotted for a while, they would soon drop it.
    They should be glad of the business.
    I say BOYCOT

Just playing devil's advocate here, but does the fact that most of our late night places are either free or 10 euro on certain nights and/or certain times say good or bad things about the nightlife in Waterford? Are we cheap? Do we believe that good nightlife is possible in Waterford, and would we know it, and pay for it, if it appeared? How much of the quality of Waterford's nightlife is down to us?

The reason I ask these questions is that there is such a big protest mindset in Waterford, compared to places like say Dublin or Galway, that I wonder would anything genuinely special could take off here. Do we only want what is free on the basis that we don't really think anything will be worth paying for? Is this the same in other places?

As for Harvey's having bad DJs, etc. Harvey's is a particular product that is possibly close to perfection -- as far as that product goes. It is an easy listening 70's, 80's, friendly pick up joint, ideal for stags and hens, birthday nights and so on, aimed at the older crowd. It is in't about the best pints in Waterford. It isin't about 'good' music -- at all. It isin't about the quiet late drink. It isin't about getting drunk on a budget. All of the complaints made about Harvey's, or most of them, are valid. But the thing is, Harvey's is not meant to live up to these expectations. If Harvey's happened to be the best cheesy 70's,80's music, pick up place and party venue for 25+ ordinary people in the entire world, would anyone notice? Or would we just run it down because it happens to be in Waterford?

...I'm just going to take cover now... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

merlante wrote: »
    Just playing devil's advocate here, but does the fact that most of our late night places are either free or 10 euro on certain nights and/or certain times say good or bad things about the nightlife in Waterford? Are we cheap? Do we believe that good nightlife is possible in Waterford, and would we know it, and pay for it, if it appeared? How much of the quality of Waterford's nightlife is down to us?

The reason I ask these questions is that there is such a big protest mindset in Waterford, compared to places like say Dublin or Galway, that I wonder would anything genuinely special could take off here. Do we only want what is free on the basis that we don't really think anything will be worth paying for? Is this the same in other places?

As for Harvey's having bad DJs, etc. Harvey's is a particular product that is possibly close to perfection -- as far as that product goes. It is an easy listening 70's, 80's, friendly pick up joint, ideal for stags and hens, birthday nights and so on, aimed at the older crowd. It is in't about the best pints in Waterford. It isin't about 'good' music -- at all. It isin't about the quiet late drink. It isin't about getting drunk on a budget. All of the complaints made about Harvey's, or most of them, are valid. But the thing is, Harvey's is not meant to live up to these expectations. If Harvey's happened to be the best cheesy 70's,80's music, pick up place and party venue for 25+ ordinary people in the entire world, would anyone notice? Or would we just run it down because it happens to be in Waterford?

...I'm just going to take cover now... ;)

I started this thread because I felt the cover-charge was ridiculous in the sense that they were offering nothing new, it had always been free to get in, and that drink prices were raised after 11pm anyway BECAUSE there was no cover-charge. If they kept the prices the same all night and charged a cover, then I have no problem with that - though I still may not go there. I'm guessing that the prices are STILL increased after 11pm...as well as the cover charge? So, a double-tax for the consumer. Very governmental... Do they display their prices? Aren't they supposed to?

Regarding Harveys as a late-bar, I don't think it's all that special to be honest. I can understand a visitor to the city thinking highly of the place as there's always the novelty effect, but that wore off me a long time ago. I think only the smoking-area sets it apart from the rest. As a non-smoker, I would never go in there!

gscully wrote: »
    I started this thread because I felt the cover-charge was ridiculous in the sense that they were offering nothing new, it had always been free to get in, and that drink prices were raised after 11pm anyway BECAUSE there was no cover-charge. If they kept the prices the same all night and charged a cover, then I have no problem with that - though I still may not go there. I'm guessing that the prices are STILL increased after 11pm...as well as the cover charge? So, a double-tax for the consumer. Very governmental... Do they display their prices? Aren't they supposed to?

Regarding Harveys as a late-bar, I don't think it's all that special to be honest. I can understand a visitor to the city thinking highly of the place as there's always the novelty effect, but that wore off me a long time ago. I think only the smoking-area sets it apart from the rest. As a non-smoker, I would never go in there!

We'll just have to see how things pan out. If they're offering nothing for the extra cash then it's just a hike and people will have to decide whether they're being ripped off now or whether they were getting a good deal before. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

Familiarity breeds contempt anyway. People should try new places, be a bit adventurous. Isn't there a new place where Fletchers was? Any good? (Or are we writing it off already?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

Is there still a cover charge at the moment? Or is it stopped?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Twister Vicks is the bar that has gone in Fletchers place. It looks to be open all day but I haven't seen anyone in there which is a pity because I would have considered myself a regular of both Baker St and Fletchers (but not Oblivion). They seem to be very active with getting bands in, but I haven't heard of any of them although hopefully they can do enough weekend trade to keep them ticking over. A lack of a beer garden / smoking area will hurt them in the Summer months though.

AdMMM wrote: »
    Twister Vicks is the bar that has gone in Fletchers place. It looks to be open all day but I haven't seen anyone in there which is a pity because I would have considered myself a regular of both Baker St and Fletchers (but not Oblivion). They seem to be very active with getting bands in, but I haven't heard of any of them although hopefully they can do enough weekend trade to keep them ticking over. A lack of a beer garden / smoking area will hurt them in the Summer months though.

We should all agree to buy a pint in there every now and again. :) Then we'll have more choice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 496 ✭✭renraw

Fletchers (aka baker st) used to be a good spot. Only thing is, a lot of the lads that drank in there were barred from most places in the city. Dunno how many times I'm after seeing kids banging off their heads and lads doing ketamine in the toilets. If its run properly and keep getting good bands in I'd go back there.

If harveys keep up with the cover charge, I won't go back there again and a lot of my mates are the same. We're being ripped off in most places and I'm disgusted with harveys as its the only place I'll go on a Saturday night. Methinks its time to start spending the euro's in another place :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 dickturpin

as far as i know, twister vics will not be charging on the door. 4 euro a pint. take a look at http://www.myspace.com/467750923

dickturpin wrote: »
    as far as i know, twister vics will not be charging on the door. 4 euro a pint. take a look at http://www.myspace.com/467750923

Well if it's all about price, then they should do well then. Unfortunately, as previous incarnations of that premises have shown, business has been patchy. Definitely not an elastic market.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

somebody bar this idiot please?? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

whats with the re-posting to everyone?????

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

If any pub/club/gay bar/straight bar or whatever wants to plug their business please contact sales@boards.ie.

Many Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 sonky353

Went into Harvey's on Friday night with a couple of friends asked the bouncer about the cover charge he said it was here to stay! Went in at 9.30pm we were the only people in there, expected it to pick up...left at 10.45pm and there was around 4 additional people since we went in.

Absolute rip off for drink Rum and Coke €7.90!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Faq

Taxi driver told me 40 people walked away from the door when asked for cover charge the place in noting special just has a good smoking area no bands same music every week they offer very little no events i think they will suffer from this if this is to try get people in earlier they should know more people are drinking at home then going out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

i have mates who went in there the wkend gone and there was no charge

sonky353 wrote: »
    Went into Harvey's on Friday night with a couple of friends asked the bouncer about the cover charge he said it was here to stay! Went in at 9.30pm we were the only people in there, expected it to pick up...left at 10.45pm and there was around 4 additional people since we went in.

Absolute rip off for drink Rum and Coke €7.90!!!

Harvey's was always dead until around 11-11.30pm. It's a late place!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭whittler

well i for one havent been back since the cover charge started and iv no intentions of goin there again either. its hard enough to find a few extra pound to go out once in a while without that sort of extortion

Advertisement