Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey's introduce a cover-charge

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

whittler wrote: »
    well i for one havent been back since the cover charge started and iv no intentions of goin there again either. its hard enough to find a few extra pound to go out once in a while without that sort of extortion

I aso haven't, i would have prob gone in there anytime i was out in town but i won't be paying without a very very good reason if at all.

I wouldn't mind so much if they passed the money they are aking back onto us in some way. Keeping the price of drink reasonable would be my first thought, can anyone tell me has it changed at all?

I'm personally fairly annoyed with the whole situaton tbh, i'd rather go home then go to the likes of rubys and i was always happy with harveys even if it was mental busy.

Time will tell over the summer months but i for one maintain that its going to be a huge mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

There's a very simple explanation for the new cover charge @Harveys....
    It's called Mantra.

http://www.mantrabar.ie/

Currently being built in Maynooth, and due to be completed in the summer.
    these things do not come cheap you know.
    A project like this would probably have cost over-runs, and these days, returning to the credit provider (bank) and asking more more credit is extremely difficult.
    So, you need to increase revenue in other areas - voila cover charge @ Harveys.

PS, Harveys does have the highest prices in Waterford - I have done price surveys for one of the largest drinks companies.
    But hey, people will still pay, it's the minority who walk away - especially post 11pm, when they are half cut anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 496 ✭✭renraw

I was thinking about this in work yesterday and I'd normally spend the best part of a ton in there on a saturday night cause we normally get there at bout 11:30. Normally bout 6 of us and we're crazy drinkers. I'd say we must leave the best part of €500 there.

Out of principle, we won't be going back there with the cover charge and a lot of people are the same. Stick with Masons or the revamped fletchers (if its any good). I don't mind going outside for a smoke. If the owner can afford ta lose this kind of money, then let him off. Theres always somewhere else to take its place :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Haven't gone in there since the cover charge either.

Are they still charging 3euro to put a jacket in the cloakroom? I find that a bit much at the start anyway. Isn't it only €2 in Ruby's??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭vixenbees

Hopefully twister vicks takes off! My pal works there and its a bit quiet at the mo which is normal for somewhere people are still unsure about I suppose. They're getting bands from all over Ireland down though so its a good mix of local bands and other stuff we mightn't have got in Waterford before. They had trad there last Sunday too, not sure if thats a permanent thing.. they might just be trying it out. Pints are €4, good music and the irony of having a biker bar across from a gay bar :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

vixenbees wrote: »
    Hopefully twister vicks takes off! My pal works there and its a bit quiet at the mo which is normal for somewhere people are still unsure about I suppose. They're getting bands from all over Ireland down though so its a good mix of local bands and other stuff we mightn't have got in Waterford before. They had trad there last Sunday too, not sure if thats a permanent thing.. they might just be trying it out. Pints are €4, good music and the irony of having a biker bar across from a gay bar :P

Was in there last Friday night, wasn’t bad, but to be honest cant see it attracting the same kind of crowd that go into Harvey’s, I think the main pubs that will benefit from the kavanaghs screwing people are Muldoon’s don’t think Masons is a late bar ? Not to sure about Dignity but the music was very good in there last Friday night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭holidayhere

whittler wrote: »
    well i for one havent been back since the cover charge started and iv no intentions of goin there again either. its hard enough to find a few extra pound to go out once in a while without that sort of extortion
    I agree totally. Same here. Those guys need to realise which site their bread is buttered on. They should be offering promotional deals, not trying to screw every potential visitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭newportwex

Are they charging into Harveys on Friday nights too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

renraw wrote: »
    I was thinking about this in work yesterday and I'd normally spend the best part of a ton in there on a saturday night cause we normally get there at bout 11:30. Normally bout 6 of us and we're crazy drinkers. I'd say we must leave the best part of €500 there.

Out of principle, we won't be going back there with the cover charge and a lot of people are the same. Stick with Masons or the revamped fletchers (if its any good). I don't mind going outside for a smoke. If the owner can afford ta lose this kind of money, then let him off. Theres always somewhere else to take its place :mad:

Take a bow son :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭MrLuke

I was in Twister vicks on Friday night. They're doing a lot of things right in that place, just needs a few more people. One thing I did notice was the prices. Shocking... in a good way. Usually 6.50 for a Jack Daniels up town, 4.50 in there at 1am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭j walsh

Was in there last Friday night, wasn’t bad, but to be honest cant see it attracting the same kind of crowd that go into Harvey’s, I think the main pubs that will benefit from the kavanaghs screwing people are Muldoon’s don’t think Masons is a late bar ? Not to sure about Dignity but the music was very good in there last Friday night.

Masons is a late bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

j walsh wrote: »
    Masons is a late bar.

Only on Saturday nights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭holidayhere

MrLuke wrote: »
    I was in Twister vicks on Friday night. They're doing a lot of things right in that place, just needs a few more people. One thing I did notice was the prices. Shocking... in a good way. Usually 6.50 for a Jack Daniels up town, 4.50 in there at 1am.
    This is the way things should be going. Those guys have their heads screwed on. All head for Twister Vicks.....

i had 3 vodkas and their version of redbull for €20 and some cent which seems epic compared to what you pay in harvey's for the same. Would i be right in saying nearer 30?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Anon0000

ziedth wrote: »
    i had 3 vodkas and their version of redbull for €20 and some cent which seems epic compared to what you pay in harvey's for the same. Would i be right in saying nearer 30?

3 vodkas and a redbull/burn is €21.70 in harveys. It is €10 in tonight(sunday) with all drinks €3

I'm not sure who's making these decisions in Harveys but they need their heads checked.

Last night...a Sunday night...they advertised all drinks €3....sounds good? There's a catch, you've gotta pay €10 on the door again. I'm sure Rubys and Muldoons were packed again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

I agree with the above two posts. Went along for the latish drink last night to see what the story would be. Tenner of the door, so I left them to it. About 3 bouncers and 2 people on a till for what looked like an empty pub. The 3 of us wouldn't have even kept them going for an hour, let alone the staff on the inside.

Charging 10 euro on a Sunday is ridiculous, there is not enough of a crowd to support it, and who's going to pay a tenner when there will be even less people in there than usual.

I see the rationale for Friday and Saturday, but for other days, they are going to get burned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

merlante wrote: »
    I agree with the above two posts. Went along for the latish drink last night to see what the story would be. Tenner of the door, so I left them to it. About 3 bouncers and 2 people on a till for what looked like an empty pub. The 3 of us wouldn't have even kept them going for an hour, let alone the staff on the inside.

Charging 10 euro on a Sunday is ridiculous, there is not enough of a crowd to support it, and who's going to pay a tenner when there will be even less people in there than usual.

I see the rationale for Friday and Saturday, but for other days, they are going to get burned.

Welcome to the dark side Merlante ;)

Ya you know their in serious do do when Merlante isn't behind them :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭j walsh

Only on Saturday nights.

Your right i stand corrected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

ziedth wrote: »
    Ya you know their in serious do do when Merlante isn't behind them :pac:

Heh. :) I don't know about that! All I know is they are not going to make any money on Sundays with that tenner charge. The Sunday trade is a fragile one that must be nurtured. :) (Saturday, a wild beast that must be tamed... I'll stop now.)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 496 ✭✭renraw

I have completely stopped going in there. its the start of the demise for Harveys. Its going to join all of the othe rpubs that experience a slow and painful death. Soo sad. Looks like my mates and our money is going to benefit Bob Tweedy. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Faq

Twister vicks seem packed every time i pass have not gone in there yet but plan to give it a try next week

Have any of ye seen the signs in revolution? 4 (or 5 im not sure) floors - 5 bars...

That could be a serious threat to harveys and tweedys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

Have any of ye seen the signs in revolution? 4 (or 5 im not sure) floors - 5 bars...

:eek: are they making it into a skyscraper? the last time I was in there I saw a few girls who looked about 16 literally falling over from drinking. classy establishment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Faq

i would think they would put a cower charge for it but it sounds like it will be good

Dan133269 wrote: »
    :eek: are they making it into a skyscraper? the last time I was in there I saw a few girls who looked about 16 literally falling over from drinking. classy establishment

Have to say it is a young crowd in there, but its the same in most other places, nothing new there im afraid, yeah from what one of my mates told me its going to be a fine size, think it will defo give tweedy and Harveys a big run for their money, He said it was meant to be open in August

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Doesn't Harveys have a few extra floors?

I like the concept myself, if its kept different on each floor and they don't interfere.

It does actually...wonder why they won't use them.

Don't get me started on Masons...when you think about club LA and the Junction....how the space used to be used....it really is totally wasted now. Probably the worst designed bar going.

• Advertisement

They prob have enough of a job trying to fill the space they have at the moment in Harveys with their new charges, I was just looking at their bebo site, looks like they have a few upset customers on that as well, this was quoted on their bebo last night Friday( Hide Harveys Bar Waterford New Changes starting tonight @ Harveys. Call in tonight to see them. Think you might like this one)

and on Masons its not the worst bar, but I dont know why they put the ceiling in between the floors, It was better open

Advertisement