Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey's introduce a cover-charge

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mickeyman

Packed sat nite whats goin on with the world.New membership looks good if they follow thru what their saying,watch this space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

ya i was there last night, went in before 11 had one then got stamped and went up to twister vicks (i'm sorry to say it was cat cause the band was rubbish) for one.

But ya i couldn't believe my eyes but harveys was busy when i came back. Not as mental as it used to ba but if half the people payed the 10 then i'd sau they made a killing.

I for one will never pay but it seems they may have made a killing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 496 ✭✭renraw

Have any of ye seen the signs in revolution? 4 (or 5 im not sure) floors - 5 bars...

That could be a serious threat to harveys and tweedys.

Serious? revos is a good spot, would be great on a few levels, except for all the kids they let in there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

The kids are everywhere these days...masons, rubys...they're the only ones spending money and premises can't afford to turn them away. If the over 23s were out in the same force as the under 20s then there wouldn't be a problem...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭rayc

Dammit just saw this thread now. I've been bitching about harveys for months now, even before the door charge but I really can't understand this thought process at all. It really seems like giving the 2 fingers to its customers, especially given the current state of the economy. The place had already been pissing me off with the ridiculous price of drinks, but I put up with it as I saw it as probably the best bar in town (in it's class shall we say). This is largely down to that fact that the 'crowd' (general age group etc) was right for me and my mates.

Now I've been vowing to boycott the place altogether, even if they remove the door charge, just out of principal. I've been talking to some people lately and thinking about using boards like these and social networking sites like facebook to maybe start a bit of a revolution!? i.e. get people together to pick another pub, one with a late license, no door charge and reasonably priced drinks. If you could spread the word well enough we could effectively move the crowd to this new pub. This has happened naturally in the past anyway, we'd just be giving it helping hand....

What do people think? [and just in case anyones wondering I don't represent a rival pub ;-) ]

As an 'outsider' living here for years now I think the latebar monopoly has always been a problem in Waterford, that and the strange attitude of the majority of people to refuse to look beyond the usual few places. I go out regularly in Kilkenny also and I have to say it is far far better for pubs. Especially late bars, there are way more than in Waterford and practically none of them charge in. Drinks are also relatively reasonable compared with here. Thats mad when given that Waterford is far bigger than Kilkenny. Things won't change here I fear without people changing their attitudes and showing these publicans whose boss!

(Just to be clear incase it comes back to bite me :-) I'm from Kilkenny county but have probably more affiliation to Waterford city than Kilkenny city/town at this stage, I am not biased either way ... not when it comes to drink anyway)

• Advertisement

So what bar do you propose we all go to instead?

I honestly don't know but I'd be interested to hear what people think. Many posters on here before me seem to think Twister Vicks is an option. Whats Electric Avenue like since the strip club went in there? I know we are very limited when it comes to late bars but even if people start to consider and try new bars its something.

Don't get me wrong I'm one of the very ones who has been guilty of just going to the same places all the time, and being a cynic I'm fairly sure everyone will just go flocking back to Harveys if they remove the charge. But might as well use the opportunity to practice some of what I've been preaching :)

i would be 100% behind this but only for i'm not in town too pften and the girls in the group pick where we go :)

But i'll support ya my friend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

To be honest most people in Waterford are like sheep when im comes to late bars, go where the crowd is, I was reading the harvers bebo with this so called membership crap, nice little marketing stunt, you fill out a form on how they can improve the place. Could be a long list

The card allows you free in and a reduction on drink, this might be ok for people that go their every weekend, but what about people just in Waterford for the weekend, they are still screwing them. I am really interested to see what the new Revolution will look like, but it comes back to the sheep thing :D and to be honest a few people are going on about twister Vicks, I really wish them best of luck with the bar, but it’s not really a commercial bar

Thats true but in fairness most people everywhere are like sheep. The problem in Waterford really is the lack of choice after 12.30. I think what would really help would be a new investor opening a bar that's a real competitor to the existing monopoly situation, that could really put the cat among the pigeons. To be a serious competitor all you seem to need is to be a pretty big pub with a late license.

Without that you're relying on people getting pissed off enough to do something about it...people are pissed off now but where do they go? Personally i hate muldoons and oxygen. Rubys isn't mush better and they charge too. Rubys Lounge is good but too small really. I don't mind the Kazbar either, it does have the choice of 3 floors at least but after 12 it's dead. Ya never know, maybe revolution might be the answer, I know it's not many peoples favourite because of the very young crowd, but if it's big enough and the beer is cheaper than the other's it could draw more of a mix.

At the moment, for me anyway, it just looks like spending more weekends out of Waterford!!

• Advertisement

rayc wrote: »
    Dammit just saw this thread now. I've been bitching about harveys for months now, even before the door charge but I really can't understand this thought process at all. It really seems like giving the 2 fingers to its customers, especially given the current state of the economy. The place had already been pissing me off with the ridiculous price of drinks, but I put up with it as I saw it as probably the best bar in town (in it's class shall we say). This is largely down to that fact that the 'crowd' (general age group etc) was right for me and my mates.

Now I've been vowing to boycott the place altogether, even if they remove the door charge, just out of principal. I've been talking to some people lately and thinking about using boards like these and social networking sites like facebook to maybe start a bit of a revolution!? i.e. get people together to pick another pub, one with a late license, no door charge and reasonably priced drinks. If you could spread the word well enough we could effectively move the crowd to this new pub. This has happened naturally in the past anyway, we'd just be giving it helping hand....

What do people think? [and just in case anyones wondering I don't represent a rival pub ;-) ]

As an 'outsider' living here for years now I think the latebar monopoly has always been a problem in Waterford, that and the strange attitude of the majority of people to refuse to look beyond the usual few places. I go out regularly in Kilkenny also and I have to say it is far far better for pubs. Especially late bars, there are way more than in Waterford and practically none of them charge in. Drinks are also relatively reasonable compared with here. Thats mad when given that Waterford is far bigger than Kilkenny. Things won't change here I fear without people changing their attitudes and showing these publicans whose boss!

(Just to be clear incase it comes back to bite me :-) I'm from Kilkenny county but have probably more affiliation to Waterford city than Kilkenny city/town at this stage, I am not biased either way ... not when it comes to drink anyway)

+1

Agree 100% - we'll see what revos is like and take it from there. Rubys drives me nuts and the only time i'll go to a nite club is when I'm out of waterford. Its a pity that they never seem to be able to get the formula right for the reginald. No matter what they set up there, it always went under within months. I think now is the right time to resurrect the place cause it is big enough and people and sick of the town now.

I stayed in last saturday nite and had a session in the house. What we all spent on beer was probably a quarter of what we'd normally spend out in the town. Bring back the Roxy!!!!!

renraw wrote: »
    +1

Agree 100% - we'll see what revos is like and take it from there. Rubys drives me nuts and the only time i'll go to a nite club is when I'm out of waterford. Its a pity that they never seem to be able to get the formula right for the reginald. No matter what they set up there, it always went under within months. I think now is the right time to resurrect the place cause it is big enough and people and sick of the town now.

I stayed in last saturday nite and had a session in the house. What we all spent on beer was probably a quarter of what we'd normally spend out in the town. Bring back the Roxy!!!!!

Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

MAybe we should list what we'd like Revo to offer when it opens? Flash reads this forum...

Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

MAybe we should list what we'd like Revo to offer when it opens? Flash reads this forum...

+1

Sound...So Flash....we know ya can do it! I want ta see the crowds leave Harveys and Bob tweedys in droves! and go to a place we'll actually
    enjoy and that actually plays good tunes... I've been drinking in revo's since it opened and wen he was on the high street!

Happy days :D

Ha ha yeah bring back the roxy with the Bok appearing nightly!! As crazy as it sounds I think the distance from 'Night-club cross' might have had an impact on the reginald. I've heard girls complaining plenty of times about walking 'all the way to Harveys' and thats only half the distance.

Well from own experience the most important factors seem to be the size of the place, so it can take a good size crowd. It has to be a late bar. Door charges are a big no no as we've seen on here. Reasonably priced drink.

The only other thing I can think of is slightly harder to put your finger on and get right, and that's attracting the right crowd. I know many people see revos now as having a very young crowd and that discourages people from going there. Other places are seen to have a pretty rough crowd too (I know lots of people who've had stuff robbed in some of these place) or just be ****-holes in general, so I guess it probably comes down to good bouncers/door policy?

Just my own opinions, any other ideas?

I had an incident in rev's a few months ago (i brought it up here but i won't again) i've only been in there maybe twice since.

If we are gonna suggest a few things i'd go for:

Over 21's: i know in this climate its dodgy but its one of the reason i like harveys

Compeitively priced drinks: say no more you only have to reas this thread to see what we think about the price of drink elsewhere.

No cover charge

Enough staff so getting a drink isn't a nightmare

Decent music: i know this is subjective but some places the music is just cat.

+1
    I want ta see the crowds leave Harveys and Bob tweedys in droves!
    Happy days :D

Ha ha nice! :)

Thats true alrite about the distance but for the last few months a lot of people have been saying to me that they're sick of the same places every weekend and then the Kids (they do spend alrite).

The distance I'd say wouldn't matter now, esp with peoples so p1ssed off and looking for an alternative site that caters for different tastes. If I had the money, late bar with a couple of floors and different tatses of mussic on each floor. I love dance and live sessions (elctric avenue :) but too small). Cater for many tastes like hopefully revo's is going ta do and he's going to make his money. And not have beyonce and britney blasting all night... Get good Djs that know what the crowds want and off ya go!

Oh, and a few more promotions would be excellent! That'll draw in the crowds if its publicised enough. There was one a few weeks ago for heinikin (I think, was p1ssed) in revo's but never heard anything about it until we went to the pub on the saturday night.

ziedth wrote: »
    I had an incident in rev's a few months ago (i brought it up here but i won't again) i've only been in there maybe twice since.

If we are gonna suggest a few things i'd go for:

Over 21's: i know in this climate its dodgy but its one of the reason i like harveys

Compeitively priced drinks: say no more you only have to reas this thread to see what we think about the price of drink elsewhere.

No cover charge

Enough staff so getting a drink isn't a nightmare

Decent music: i know this is subjective but some places the music is just cat.

+1 deffo

Thats true alrite about the distance but for the last few months a lot of people have been saying to me that they're sick of the same places every weekend and then the Kids (they do spend alrite).

The distance I'd say wouldn't matter now, esp with peoples so p1ssed off and looking for an alternative site that caters for different tastes. If I had the money, late bar with a couple of floors and different tatses of mussic on each floor. I love dance and live sessions (elctric avenue :) but too small). Cater for many tastes like hopefully revo's is going ta do and he's going to make his money. And not have beyonce and britney blasting all night... Get good Djs that know what the crowds want and off ya go!

Oh, and a few more promotions would be excellent! That'll draw in the crowds if its publicised enough. There was one a few weeks ago for heinikin (I think, was p1ssed) in revo's but never heard anything about it until we went to the pub on the saturday night.

True the distance thing wouldn't matter now, but as soon as there was any serious competition Harveys would probably just throw open it's doors, lower prices and the reginald would be boned again.

Revos is smack in the city centre so if it does it right you'd see could Harveys struggling big time... wouldn't that be a nice change! ;)

If it is the case of different music on each floor, and he doesn't charge in or overprice the drink then it could definitely be a winner

rayc wrote: »
    True the distance thing wouldn't matter now, but as soon as there was any serious competition Harveys would probably just throw open it's doors, lower prices and the reginald would be boned again.

Revos is smack in the city centre so if it does it right you'd see could Harveys struggling big time... wouldn't that be a nice change! ;)

If it is the case of different music on each floor, and he doesn't charge in or overprice the drink then it could definitely be a winner

I do believe sir, you are correct...sound out and how bad :D

• Advertisement

Ok the topic is moving...so I'm going to start a new thread. Follow me guys....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 finnie1985

According to harveys facebook profile it is now again free every night.

link: http://en-gb.facebook.com/people/Harveys-Bar-Waterford/1846594436

Well the cover charge didnt last long.. might go back there meself again.
    As long as they dont compensate the no cover charge with over the top drink prices.... oh wait it was like that already.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

finnie1985 wrote: »

As long as they dont compensate the no cover charge with over the top drink prices.... oh wait it was like that already.. :rolleyes:

I wouldnt drink again in there for a while out of spite. Thats a cheeky move they have pulled that obviosly failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭deise48

between the drink price and the cover charge , you would get better value in temple bar in dublin !!

but sure if people part with their money so easily then they were always gonna try it !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

According to someone working there, They will be charging this weekend €10 Euros

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

ah the auld busy weekend that it is , so lets milk everybody .... ..... i hate the place more by the day.

finnie1985 wrote: »

Nerding back to my college days thats known as ”price elasticty of demand” how much raising your price is going to effect the demand of your service. I would hope that somone involved in Harveys might have considered this before charging €10 for something we got free last week. I wouldn't so much mind charging this weekend due to the general madness of those who go out of sproai but i hope it maybe teaches everyone else a lesson in the trade that we are all not drunken piss heads who don't care about price as long as we're slumped in a corner somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

weather doesnt look like easing up so i doubt therell b many people around as in previous years esp as forecast is bad for the weekend,looks like bob tweedys ancipitated income for the weekend is down the drain :pac: its the poor lads who work for the sproai i feel sorry for ,feckin weather spoiling it again,its never bloody sunny when the sproai is on(or so it seems to me)maybe they should change it to may bank holiday weekend,better weather .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

tis nice tis morning,heres hoping the forecasters were wrong about the rain

• Advertisement

I'm the biggest sulker on the planet, so NO, I won't be going back to harveys! well...erm.....ok, lets just take one step at a time...get pissed and all inhibitions go out the window...yeah! everyone deserves a second chance...besides, it has a fvckin brilliant smoking area :D

Advertisement