Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Modern Warfare 2: Prebooks already being taken

• 01-06-2009 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭

Lads,

Just thought I would let you know Xtravision is taking pre-books for MW2. I was talking to the guys in my local one and they are probably going to organise a midnight opening.

Prebook is €2 so worth getting in there for guaranteed 10th of November playing.

I know its a long way off but I remember the pre books getting taken up for GTA IV so I think this might be the same.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

I bought GTA iv the day it came out. No pre-booking.

I don't think there'll be an issue with shops running out of stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

A friend of mine prebooked ages ago, and gamestop have had a little poster on their north liffey street shop for ages saying to prebook it.

There wont be any problems getting though. I remember when halo 3 was launched there was a midnight opening and huge amount of people in gamestop henry street waiting to get their prebooks. My friend and I strolled into HMV next door to it, completely empty walked up to the counter and bought two copies and left. Made me laught at the amount of people trying to get it in gamestop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,223 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

prebooking games is just a way for gamestop etc to panick people into getting game they want! i was in newbridge a while ago and guy was saying fight night will be short and to prebook there and then!

what a load of crap is all i have to say:(

There will always be enough to go around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I've never had to pre-book a game. There is always a shop within a few minutes that will have it.

Consoles on the other hand.....often run short. The wii and elite both sold very quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭brennaldo

im the same with gta, didnt pre book it and easily got a copy on the day, sure i got cod 4 for christmas 2 years ago, world at war last christmas, so i reckon il get it for christmas again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Yup, never prebook myself. Was briciking it TBH when I didn't book gta4 but just popped into PC world that morning and got a copy no problem. Bit ridiculous IMO when the game isnt out for another 4 months, scaremongering.

Will it be 65-70 euro for it like cod4? New batch of cod4 came in hmv a few weeks ago and was still 65euro:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Wait and get a pick of the best deal on the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Rev. Kitchen

Went into xtravision for GTA4 on release day your man behind the counter asked if i prebooked it i said no he looked at me like i had two heads and made a big song and dance about how they only have enough for the people that booked them. I told him it was nt a very smart way to run a business as the vast majority of people just buy on the day. He still claimed no where would have it that all the shops only got pre orders. i was willing to wait a week untill the next shipment but two days later i checked Smyths and they had 70 copies left . the guy there was just laughing at how hyper people got looking for it.

The problem with prebooking it at say gamestop who are notorious for over charging is you might end up paying 65-70 for it then game or HMV sell it for 52.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Never pre-book, unless its free!!!

For GTA4, dropped friends off who prebooked in GAME, drove out to Tesco (another 5-10 mins), waited there until midnight, bought it, drove back in, and the lads in GAME were still in the queue with everyone else that have pre-booked. I ended up getting it for cheaper than they did too.

Sorted. If you book in GAME/Gamestop, it'll probably be 60-70 quid anyways. Just wait until the day/midnight launch itself, and buy it in the cheapest place. Never, never, pre-order unless its free. If its free you are guaranting yourself a copy but have time to look at the cheapest places first. Use it as a backup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Never preordered either. Got GTA4 in Tesco for €40 on day of release and picked up Gears 2 SE in Game at midnight release with preorder.

Smyths did WaW for €50 iirc last year so will wait again to see who has best deal. There will be plenty of copies around anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Onearmedbandit

Xtravision are aiming for €40 for MW2 according to the staff in store, id say it will be that price everywhere except gamestop.

• Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Gamesnash.ie: Pat

Xtravision are aiming for €40 for MW2 according to the staff in store, id say it will be that price everywhere except gamestop.

Would be very very surprised if this turned out to be accurate. You can of course throw this post back in my face in 5 months time but the RRP on MW2 is guidelined to be £54.99 in the UK and €69.99 over here and possibly dearer again if the sterling rises as much as being predicted in the next few months. It will be costing more than €40 to buy in. None of these prices are definite of course - won't be confirmed until September / October but it's way too early IMO for a staff member to be able to make a statement like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

Not a chance I reckon. €60/65 in most places with maybe one exception for €55.

Should be plenty of games to go around anyway so wouldn't prebook in gamestop or game anyway as you will definitely pay more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Would be very very surprised if this turned out to be accurate.....

Jaysus ye lot!! Ye said the same thing to me when I told everyone that Xtravision would be selling Resident Evil 5 for €39.99. Post from Bargain Alerts Thread

I'm Pat on this one tho. I work in Xtravision and I don't know where they would have got that information from! We usually don't know until near the release date.

In the store I work in we have nearly 100 prebooks between the PS3 and 360 already. Its €2 to prebook a copy and I would recommend putting one down. Its 5+ months until the release of the game and I'm sure that figure will only get bigger!! If you don't want to buy it there you can get your €2 refunded. None of the GTA's have been this popular with prebooks this length before the release date. Over the last number of games releases I think Xtravision have had the best prices for a Bricks & Mortar store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

GTA IV sold for €39.99 on release in Tesco, CoD WaW was €44.99 in Smyths and Gears 2 was going for €45 in Game.

Stores know these big titles sell big numbers so they can reduce the price slightly to try sell more copies.

Someone out there will do a good price on this. Anyone paying €60 or more for MW2 is mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Went into xtravision for GTA4 on release day your man behind the counter asked if i prebooked it i said no he looked at me like i had two heads and made a big song and dance about how they only have enough for the people that booked them. I told him it was nt a very smart way to run a business as the vast majority of people just buy on the day. He still claimed no where would have it that all the shops only got pre orders.

A shop chain only gets so many copies of a game in time for release. It then decides what cut of the stock each store gets, and the allocation is indeed decided, to a large extent, by the number of pre-orders each store has.

It's not desirable to run short of stock for a release, but obviously if that happens, pre-orders get priority. Speaking of which, it's free to pre-order in Game if you've got the loyalty card, Smyths too, far as I know. So ye might as well throw your name in, if you change your mind it's no loss to either yourself or the stores.

jenno86 wrote: »
    Jaysus ye lot!! Ye said the same thing to me when I told everyone that Xtravision would be selling Resident Evil 5 for €39.99. Post from Bargain Alerts Thread

I'm Pat on this one tho. I work in Xtravision and I don't know where they would have got that information from! We usually don't know until near the release date.

In the store I work in we have nearly 100 prebooks between the PS3 and 360 already. Its €2 to prebook a copy and I would recommend putting one down. Its 5+ months until the release of the game and I'm sure that figure will only get bigger!! If you don't want to buy it there you can get your €2 refunded. None of the GTA's have been this popular with prebooks this length before the release date. Over the last number of games releases I think Xtravision have had the best prices for a Bricks & Mortar store.

To be fair even employees from other xtravisions had €44.99 on their system. We rang xtravisions head office and were told they had not set any retail prices at all and the night before Xtravision advertised it at €44.99 in the evening herald. They then dropped the price on saturday to price match Game who had gone out on a weekend special offer too. It was back to €44.99 on the Monday if memory serves me :)

You're quite right though about the level of demand now has far outsrtipped anything seen before. It will be an interesting balancing act to see how close to release day they finish the product and how many units can be manufactured in time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭mika27

To be fair even employees from other xtravisions had €44.99 on their system. We rang xtravisions head office and were told they had not set any retail prices at all and the night before Xtravision advertised it at €44.99 in the evening herald. They then dropped the price on saturday to price match Game who had gone out on a weekend special offer too. It was back to €44.99 on the Monday if memory serves me :)

You're quite right though about the level of demand now has far outsrtipped anything seen before. It will be an interesting balancing act to see how close to release day they finish the product and how many units can be manufactured in time.

But it still justifies the point of not prebooking if you want to get value. I prebooked GTA4 in Smyths and then saw it in Tesco for €39.99, was rightly pi**ed off.

You run the risk of not being able to get it on release day if stock runs out, but so what? I can wait another week or two

• Advertisement

mika27 wrote: »
    But it still justifies the point of not prebooking if you want to get value. I prebooked GTA4 in Smyths and then saw it in Tesco for €39.99, was rightly pi**ed off.

You run the risk of not being able to get it on release day if stock runs out, but so what? I can wait another week or two

It comes down to two options really:

Option A: Prebook in a store and guarantee that you get the game on release day.
    Risk: You may pay over the odds for the game.

Option B: Wait until release day and find out who is selling it the cheapest.
    Risk: You may not get the game on the release day due to stock issues.

The choice is yours. Personally I am looking forward to the game quite a bit so I don't mind risking €5 on the price difference between stores if it guarantees I get a copy on the 10th. Also as with GTA IV they will more than likely price match down to the same level.

P.S: Sorry there is a third option: don't buy the game at all in which case all of this doesn't matter.

It comes down to two options really:

Option A: Prebook in a store and guarantee that you get the game on release day.
    Risk: You may pay over the odds for the game.

Option B: Wait until release day and find out who is selling it the cheapest.
    Risk: You may not get the game on the release day due to stock issues.

The choice is yours. Personally I am looking forward to the game quite a bit so I don't mind risking €5 on the price difference between stores if it guarantees I get a copy on the 10th. Also as with GTA IV they will more than likely price match down to the same level.

P.S: Sorry there is a third option: don't buy the game at all in which case all of this doesn't matter.

The deposit should be refundable so you could have an option C which is deposit everywhere and pick it up at the cheapest retailer. ;)

The deposit should be refundable so you could have an option C which is deposit everywhere and pick it up at the cheapest retailer. ;)

Even better, thanks Pat. I thought deposits in their very nature were not refundable?

Even better, thanks Pat. I thought deposits in their very nature were not refundable?

Normally by law they are not but I know that Gamestop definitely do refund the deposits. I'd assume the others would follow suit it being 5 months away from release.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Frankmagnet

Normally by law they are not but I know that Gamestop definitely do refund the deposits. I'd assume the others would follow suit it being 5 months away from release.

Gamestop give refunds back in the form of a credit note or giftcard.

Gamestop give refunds back in the form of a credit note or giftcard.

I've known them to refund the cash deposit around the time of GTA4. Just rang one of their stores to ask was that still the case. They initially said no problem getting a refund, when asked to clarify would that be cash or on a gift card they said probably a gift card but could get cash if the manager ok'd it on the day.

Must say they were very confused as to why I gave a damn about getting my €5.00 cash back :D

Still though, there's no need to pay a deposit in the first place. There are plenty of stores who don't require one to prebook anything.

Still though, there's no need to pay a deposit in the first place. There are plenty of stores who don't require one to prebook anything.

I am fairly sure Gamestop require €5 and so do Game if I remember correctly, what other retailers will take a pre-book without deposit?

Game don't require a deposit, you just need to have a loyalty card. Smyths don't usually take deposits either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Don't you have to pay for a Game Loyalty Card? Its €2 for a prebook in Xtravision and they will refund your money, in the form of a €2 coin, or 2 €1's if you want! ;) If I was in anyways interested about the game I would definitely put a prebook down.

@ Pat: Do you know will there be a Special Edition of Modern Warfare 2 coming out? I'll buy it off ye if ye'll have it!

Advertisement