Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E3 '09 Discussion Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

I think I'd put Nintendo in first place among the big three press conferences. A new Metroid, a new Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario Bros. Wii. All sound great.

Heh? About 90% of what they announced was building on stuff they had already released, there was nothing new there at all. Was the most boring of the 3 imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I think the best was microsofts....it had the biggest wow factor. Personally, I think that Natal will fail but thats not the point. It was new and interesting where as we already knew about motion plus.

I was pleased to see new metroid and new mario(s). Nintendo have such rich and good franchises....its shocking they wait so long between installments.

There is whoring your IP's out like EA and Ubisoft....and there is waiting 5 years between games. Looks like they have found a happy medium.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Heh? About 90% of what they announced was building on stuff they had already released, there was nothing new there at all. Was the most boring of the 3 imo.
    so true!!:D:D but my money is so gonna spend on their launch date! the new golden sun looks great as well!!

and wow! for a minute i thought ya guys talking on a new KoToR game but this new game is called Old Republic!!:D wonder who's that she-Boba in the video?! time to pick up the force unleashed i think...now i have all the bloody time to catch up what did i miss from bioware!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

anyone seen this funny APB Exclusive 'E3 2009 Customization' trailer
    http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/24973
    customization of your character in MMO:D:D

still waiting for the last guardian videos :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Apparently FF XIV is coming to PC too..

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/989/989495p1.html

I thought exclusive meant exclusive... But ign probably have their facts wrong.. again!

its confirmed for the 360 as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

its confirmed for the 360 as well

Sure you're not thinking of 13? They definately anounced 14 as a PS3 exclusive, and that was only a few hours ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

just went through the 3 conferences and i found the xbox one very entertaining, engaging and didnt harp on about facts and figures(too much). Natal looks great and if it acheives half of their ambitions, it will be special. who else wants to speak to Mylo? Alan Wake looks incredible too, that game is dripping of atmosphere.

Nintendo were just awful despite the new mario stuff, hate them trying to gain acclaim by drilling former glories(wii fit has sold so much, mario kart is unbelieveable etc), who goes to E3 to listen about the past? the shortest show and by far and away the most boring. The Conduit looks interesting though and its out soon(come on sega, get the finger out, it has to be good...)

sony were somewhere in the middle, as sexy as PSP go! is, i reckon its heading down the very same road as its older self plus if new games are coming to normal PSP, that doesnt solve the piracy. i think sony should have culled the old PSP altogether and start afresh with Go!

as much as the last guardian will be great, that kitty dragon creeps the hell out of me! wont beat Argo as an companion, no way. also that wand thing looks almost as half arsed as six-axis.

1. Microsoft by a good bit imo
    2. Sony a distance away from Microsoft but miles ahead of Ninty
    3. Nintendo, you boring muppets

• Registered Users Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Anyone else a bit meh about GoW3? Bayonetta had more titty and therefore wins.

TBH Bayonetta looks better imo :/

I can perfectly see why anyone would like God of War but the whole series is incredibly meh to me. its a button basher slasher with more yawn QTEs. I tried to like the first game, i really did but its just not interesting to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I was meh about GOW3 untill the full demo. It looked like more of an interesting game then. The poor rep was heacdwrecked by that Gamespot guy asking the same questions over and over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

They definately anounced 14 as a PS3 exclusive

They said it would be exclusive on release which no doubt means other platforms will have it a few months down the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

console_lines.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭hurler007

console_lines.png

Luv it!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Nintendo so won worst of show award with there dull and boring presentation. The speaker's constantly did weird hand/arm gestures that just looked like it came from "speach giving for dummies".

MS piped Sony by a small margin for best of show imho as while there new tech (Natal) looks sweet I dont see it working as well with games as the Sony glowball controllers. Also Peter Molyneux is one of the greatest conmen in the world for talking up a product but totaly failing to deliver on it (B&W, B&W2, Fable and Fable 2) so anything that dude says I consider lies.

As a non console owner if I was going to pick one to buy this year it would have to be a PS3.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

psp go is fail, apparently. the buttons are too close together and people who have tried it out, have complained of their fingers hitting 2 buttons instead of 1

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

psp go is fail, apparently. the buttons are too close together and people who have tried it out, have complained of their fingers hitting 2 buttons instead of 1

I haven't seen that reported really so I'd say where you read that was written by obese people who's fingers probably mash buttons all over the place anyway.

I'm not a massive fan of the design but if the games come out for it, the PSP Go will hit a new audience of people on the bus etc. In the last year or so (pre DSi) the PSP has been selling bucket loads in foreign territories all because of software and small hardware revisions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm not a massive fan of the design but if the games come out for it, the PSP Go will hit a new audience of people on the bus etc. In the last year or so (pre DSi) the PSP has been selling bucket loads in foreign territories all because of software and small hardware revisions.

Correction, it's been selling bucket loads in korean and japan because of monster hunter.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

The more I think about it, the more I'm angry about no new zelda wii. I get the reasons why....but they are poor reasons. Bottom line, your well known IP's should be given large teams of talented people. Those people should not be wasting time on Wii sports. Any muppet can be used for that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's probably just too early in development to be shown, nothing to go crazy about :/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Correction, it's been selling bucket loads in korean and japan because of monster hunter.

Well you're forgetting God of War, Final Fantasy, "Yuusha no Kuse ni Namaikida", Gundam, Phantasy Star, Macross, Patapon 2, Clank & Ratchet, LocoRoco 2, Bleach and other such PSP titles. Some big in the west but it murdered over in Japan & Korea with these titles, and I'm sure more I can't spell or understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I broke my cfw just to play monster hunter demo

• Advertisement

Well you're forgetting God of War, Final Fantasy, "Yuusha no Kuse ni Namaikida", Gundam, Phantasy Star, Macross, Patapon 2, Clank & Ratchet, LocoRoco 2, Bleach and other such PSP titles. Some big in the west but it murdered over in Japan & Korea with these titles, and I'm sure more I can't spell or understand.

None of those games made any impact in PSP sales anywhere though or sold particularly well. Crisis Core created a blip where the PSP outsold the DS for a week or two. When monster hunter was released PSP mania followed. I think Sonys new problem in japan and korea is getting a good attach rate for the PSP in these areas since PSP's are being sold and monster hunter is the only game being purchased for them.

I haven't seen that reported really so I'd say where you read that was written by obese people who's fingers probably mash buttons all over the place anyway.

its the guys and kotaku. and they arent fat, unless they've been lieing all these years.

None of those games made any impact in PSP sales anywhere though or sold particularly well. Crisis Core created a blip where the PSP outsold the DS for a week or two. When monster hunter was released PSP mania followed. I think Sonys new problem in japan and korea is getting a good attach rate for the PSP in these areas since PSP's are being sold and monster hunter is the only game being purchased for them.

I thought the problem was that the attachment rate was only good in Japan. The psp was selling in US but was just being hacked or used as a cheap media device. Thats why SCEA started the download only trial of games patapon 2 to see if it would curb piracy.
    its the guys and kotaku. and they arent fat, unless they've been lieing all these years.

link?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

Lol, have you seen the Media Create charts the past few months? PSP software has been continuously in the top ten. Crisis Core and Dissidia created more than a blip (about 1.5 million in sales combined), Persona went to number one. Sure they're not selling 3 million (and counting) like Monster Hunter 2nd G, but there are some big titles there, Dissidia especially. I don't think Sony are worried about the attach rate in their home territory, it would be here and NA where PSP rarely charts in the top 20.

GothPunk wrote: »
    Lol, have you seen the Media Create charts the past few months? PSP software has been continuously in the top ten. Crisis Core and Dissidia created more than a blip (about 1.5 million in sales combined), Persona went to number one. Sure they're not selling 3 million (and counting) like Monster Hunter 2nd G, but there are some big titles there, Dissidia especially. I don't think Sony are worried about the attach rate in their home territory, it would be here and NA where PSP rarely charts in the top 20.

Speaking of Monster Hunter, Goth are you buying Monster Hunter Freedom: Unite from US or EU?

Speaking of Monster Hunter, Goth are you buying Monster Hunter Freedom: Unite from US or EU?
    It depends really, I mean I'm buying 2 copies (maybe more as the other half has her little brother and sister hooked) so that should mean I'm paying less postage per copy if I get them from VideoGamesPlus.ca or NCSX, but I'd hate to find that HMV have it for €28 or something, which with a student discount is really cheap. I think only Sony published titles are €28 in HMV though. It is released a couple of days earlier in NA though, hmmm. Why, you having trouble deciding?

Edit: ShopTo.net have it for a very good price, £23!

Thats a good price and shopto are quick. Just worried US won't be playable with EU and i'll never get a party going on ad-hoc party

Thats a good price and shopto are quick. Just worried US won't be playable with EU and i'll never get a party going on ad-hoc party
    That's something I'm not sure about - I'm pretty sure that you can mix and match regions on Adhoc Party so long as it's the same game - I'll try and find out for definite before we go spending cash. With how cheap ShopTo.net are I'll more than likely be getting it from there.

Can someone explain that comic strip posted earlier? I never did really understand it..

But yeah, it seems that micorsoft has won this years E3. But you can screw all yer new fangled games - they're re-releasing Monkey Island 1 !!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Well I never bothered to watch the Nintendo conference but some really nice game announcements came out of it. The new Mario Bros in particular game sounds like it's borrowed a lot of the co-op elements that made LBP so great, then combining them with what has always made 2D Mario games brilliant, and that makes it potentially the game of the show.

Of the other two, I thought Sony had a much stronger game showing, but a less impressive show as they had less periphery features to show off like MS. The PSP is looking particularly good, as far as handheld's go it's going to blow away the competition in terms of quality, if not in terms of sales. The PS3 too has a very high quality line up of great exclusives coming, including a some new IP and not just sequels. Something Microsoft really lacked. The Last Guardian is obviously the highlight, Uncharted 2 is looking great, and I'm curious about them building on the LBP theme with their new kart racer, but that will live or die by how the racing actually feels. I'm surprised they didn't push Heavy Rain as hard as I'd have expected, I hope that's not a sign of how the game's development is going.

The MS conference really didn't show anything exciting in terms of games - I mean who seriously thought it was a good idea to dedicate so much time to yearly updates like Rockband and Tony Hawk's? The MGS announcement was a bit of a surprise, of course that's multiplatform too which takes away some of the impact. I guess if you like Halo then two new games are a reason to be happy but I couldn't care less. Forza was the real star of the show for me, it looks like they could have their 'definitive' Gran Turismo killer they want so much. Crackdown 2 reveal was nice too, though I'm sure the game is quite a while away.

As for the motion control gimmicks. Well, Natal is just smoke and mirrors. The fake videos were a hugely stark contrast of the eyetoy-standard games they actually demoed live, and I'm not even going to waste my time on how scripted the Milo demo was. Sony's controller was a lot more straightforward. It's a wiimote, except it works accurately, giving that fabled 1:1 motion that everyone keeps asking for. It was kind of amusing how MS' best actual demo had a guy throwing buckets of paint, while Sony had the guy doing detailed drawing with a spray can and a pencil - kind of highlights the difference in accuracy. They'll both have their place in specific games and it all depends on software, but nobody's going to be throwing away their standard dual analogue controllers in a hurry.

Oh and nice to see APB is coming along well - I was involved in the development of this a couple of years ago and it's definitely one to watch.

Advertisement