Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E3 '09 Discussion Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I just think they would have used the word Exclusive given the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,976 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

robby^5 wrote: »
    That was a brilliant press conference, gonna be a tough act to follow. I think MS have just won E3.

It's a contest now? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Simply amazing.

Providing something special happens this could easily signal the end of Sony and Nintendo.

noodler wrote: »
    I just can't resist a facepalm to this.

What?

Killing the competition is obviously Micorosoft's long term goal, and is why they're spending a fortune incorporating all of the other consoles' major features into their own product.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Leprachaun

so ea is on today what time?

Midnight irish time I think.
    Blay wrote: »

Hasn't it always been?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Bah. Tomorrow Sony will announce THEIR new revolutionary technology. A sensor that picks up what your thinking! Beat that MS...

So what time is sony on at tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

Eh yes? Have not you not picked up on that yet? :o

No, last time I looked E3 was a launchbase for console makers to announce big name games.

But now it's a contest because the xbox has got MGS lol:rolleyes:

No, last time I looked it was a launchbase for console makers to announce big name games.

You misquoted ya fool :P

You misquoted ya fool :P

Oh snap you got me:rolleyes:

reported:p

• Advertisement

More announcements incoming from MS Luncheon.

The first thing is Games on Demand. Announcing full retail games on demand for download. Launching in August with about 30 titles, more coming every week after.

Mass Effect, BioShock, Assassin's Creed 2, Sonic, Crackdown, Oblivion, Civ Rev are the ones on display. Can buy these with a direct credit card purchase instead of points.

User ratings are being added to ALL Marketplace content. XBLA game announcements coming. It's a trailer teasing a bunch -- Splosion Man. Shadow Complex. TMNT: Turtles in Time Reshelled. Secrets of Monkey Island: Special Edition(om nom nom). Marvel vs. Capcom 2. Battlefield 1943.

Now moving on to Avatars. In-game awardables -- extra items for Avatars that can be won in games. That support is now coming.

"Part of what we did with that is spend time in two areas: Costumes and props."

ODST Armor is shown on an avatar. :D

This is being opened to all partners, so third-party costumes and props will come, as well as t-shirts and the like. Now they're showing an ODST dancing with pom poms. Blasphemy! Now they're showing an remote control Warthog that is being played with by an Avatar on the dash. But it's pretty basic, not a full toy, just a prop.

Mostly marketing ****e after this. I'll post if anything changes.

No, last time I looked E3 was a launchbase for console makers to announce big name games.

But sure it's always a contest, every year the spotlight is on Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony to see who puts on the best show, this is nothing new.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Anyone got a link to where U can download this? I was out playing pitch and putt and getting burnt :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

What?

Killing the competition is obviously Micorosoft's long term goal, and is why they're spending a fortune incorporating all of the other consoles' major features into their own product.

It's not rocky times for Nintendo certainly, they're still out front, and Sony are picking up pace big time, Microsoft are a long way from dominating the games console market.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Anyone got a link to where U can download this? I was out playing pitch and putt and getting burnt :(

Gamespot will have the replay up soon, says they're still encoding it currently.

http://e3.gamespot.com/press-conference/microsoft-e3/

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

What?

Wait for it.
    amacachi wrote: »
    It's not rocky times for Nintendo certainly, they're still out front, and Sony are picking up pace big time, Microsoft are a long way from dominating the games console market.

Exactly. Nintendo are kickign ass this gen and even Sony have 100m PS2 sales and a healthy PSP base to fall back upon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭~Marky~

E3 is live here if anybody wants to watch it http://www.justin.tv/jaded
    44 mins till Ea press conf

~Marky~ wrote: »
    E3 is live here if anybody wants to watch it http://www.justin.tv/jaded
    44 mins till Ea press conf

Sweet,thought it was at midnight but I'm glad I was wrong. Mass Effect 2 is 38 mins :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

That jaded link is awful. Ads every 3 minutes during non-conference time.... :)

amacachi wrote: »

In fairness, I never said they were. But it's quite obvious that they are fully aware of what they are doing and it's obvious to anyone watching that presentation that their long-term goal is to finish up Nintendo and SONY in the gaming market.

Nintendo, Personally, I haven't seen as a threat to SONY or Microsoft in a long time and I really see them turning Sega-like in the coming years. If this Natal thing works as it is supposed to, then I think Nintendo will have to call it a day, as I really don't think they have much else (if anything) to offer people. A glorified nostalgia show is all they've been putting on for a few years in my eyes. Whilst I'm sure there are a lot of people who will disagree with me, all Nintendo have done since the N64 is the Wii, and Microsoft have just took that idea and made it better (going on what we've seen, that is). What can Nintendo do? Releasing Mario Kart won't help. They'll have to make some huge improvements to everything they've been doing and have some massive announcements at E3. I can definitely see a future for them making handheld gaming devices, but I don't see them competing console-wise in a few years.

SONY, on the other hand, whilst they're much, much tougher competition to Microsoft than Nintendo will ever be, are still stuck in a bit of bother, and will also have to start putting their foot down. Every big game that people want to play, is available on the 360, and if SONY do have an exclusive title (Gran Turismo, for example) then there's usually a pretty good Microsoft couterpart to play (for example, I played Gran Turismo for years and as a huge fan of it, but after playing Project Gotham Racing for a while I never went back to GT. I know they're different styles of racing games, but I'm just using it as an example).

I don't have anything against SONY or their console, but in my view, when it cmes to comparing the content available to both consoles, the 360 wins. Even huge games like GTA (arguably possibly the biggest release of the year, every time it comes out) gets 360-Exclusive content that the PS3 doesn't get. SONY's console is very good in the way that you can transfer movies and albums to it's hard drive via memory stick, and has the Blu-Ray function (though people will most likely use one or the other) etc. but that's the only real upside to it in my view. I've played both consoles and prefer the 360.

Microsoft have a lot of money to throw around, and they are being very wise in how they do things. They've already taken everything the Wii has to offer, improved it, and incorporated it into their Project Natal. They've just announced that, arguably PS3's biggest title, Metal Gear Solid, will now also be appearing on their console.

Microsoft are definitely leading the way in my opinion, and I'll definitely watch SONY tomorrow and see what they whip out (no doubt they'll have their own Wii-killer) but a decade from now, I really think Microsoft will be the clear leader of the two. I'd also predict that by then, Nintendo will be in the same position Sega are in now.

• Advertisement

In fairness, I never said they were. But it's quite obvious that they are fully aware of what they are doing and it's obvious to anyone watching that presentation that their long-term goal is to finish up Nintendo and SONY in the gaming market.

Nintendo, Personally, I haven't seen as a threat to SONY or Microsoft in a long time and I really see them turning Sega-like in the coming years. If this Natal thing works as it is supposed to, then I think Nintendo will have to call it a day, as I really don't think they have much else (if anything) to offer people. A glorified nostalgia show is all they've been putting on for a few years in my eyes. Whilst I'm sure there are a lot of people who will disagree with me, all Nintendo have done since the N64 is the Wii, and Microsoft have just took that idea and made it better (going on what we've seen, that is). What can Nintendo do? Releasing Mario Kart won't help. They'll have to make some huge improvements to everything they've been doing and have some massive announcements at E3. I can definitely see a future for them making handheld gaming devices, but I don't see them competing console-wise in a few years.

SONY, on the other hand, whilst they're much, much tougher competition to Microsoft than Nintendo will ever be, are still stuck in a bit of bother, and will also have to start putting their foot down. Every big game that people want to play, is available on the 360, and if SONY do have an exclusive title (Gran Turismo, for example) then there's usually a pretty good Microsoft couterpart to play (for example, I played Gran Turismo for years and as a huge fan of it, but after playing Project Gotham Racing for a while I never went back to GT. I know they're different styles of racing games, but I'm just using it as an example).

I don't have anything against SONY or their console, but in my view, when it cmes to comparing the content available to both consoles, the 360 wins. Even huge games like GTA (arguably possibly the biggest release of the year, every time it comes out) gets 360-Exclusive content that the PS3 doesn't get. SONY's console is very good in the way that you can transfer movies and albums to it's hard drive via memory stick, and has the Blu-Ray function (though people will most likely use one or the other) etc. but that's the only real upside to it in my view. I've played both consoles and prefer the 360.

Microsoft have a lot of money to throw around, and they are being very wise in how they do things. They've already taken everything the Wii has to offer, improved it, and incorporated it into their Project Natal. They've just announced that, arguably PS3's biggest title, Metal Gear Solid, will now also be appearing on their console.

Microsoft are definitely leading the way in my opinion, and I'll definitely watch SONY tomorrow and see what they whip out (no doubt they'll have their own Wii-killer) but a decade from now, I really think Microsoft will be the clear leader of the two. I'd also predict that by then, Nintendo will be in the same position Sega are in now.

Agreed. I can see Nintendo going either third party or 2nd party to one of the other companies. We'll probably see one or two new big players emerge two or three generations though,when VR starts to become a reality. I'm not sure the Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo thing will last more than another 10/15 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭thealltimelow

ea is on now

Leprachaun wrote: »
    Agreed. I can see Nintendo going either third party or 2nd party to one of the other companies. We'll probably see one or two new big players emerge two or three generations though,when VR starts to become a reality. I'm not sure the Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo thing will last more than another 10/15 years.

Not only virtual but that onlive thing will be big a few years after it launches.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,468 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Couple of good surprises already - which is surprising because most of the surprises had been leaked already :pac: Left 4 Dead 2 is great news, but seems a little soon especially by Valve standards. Motion controller sounds interesting, would like to check out the video though as text doesn't really get across the experience all that well. And looking forward to seeing the Alan Wake footage too.

MGS is also a welcome addition to 360, but can't help but get the feeling it may be some sort of strange spin off. Fantasy / RPG? Hmm...

sv04-24%20El%20Salvador%20Farmer%20milking%20a%20cow%20El%20Paisnal.jpg

Man = Bungie

Cow = Halo

sv04-24%20El%20Salvador%20Farmer%20milking%20a%20cow%20El%20Paisnal.jpg

Man = Bungie

Cow = Halo

In all fairness. Final Fantasy 13! There's about 10 tony hawks and about 7 metal gear solid games. Bungie ain't milking it THAT much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭thealltimelow

In all fairness. Final Fantasy 13! There's about 10 tony hawks and about 7 metal gear solid games. Bungie ain't milking it THAT much.
    yet soon there will be lago helo or halo rockband

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Not arsed quoting your whole post KKV, opinion is one thing, numbers are another. There have been more Wiis sold in Japan, Europe and America than the 360 and PS3 put together. Whatever advances Sony or Microsoft make on their current consoles I'll be very surprised to see them actually catch up in this generation. Sony has a chance of getting close with their BluRay player if they keep it going long enough.

The Wii brand is strong, ridiculously strong, and with the ridiculously successful DS backing it up it'll take a massive **** up from Nintendo to lose blow their lead in the next 4 years.

The way i see Halo is that the story of the main character is finished and they're still making Halo games. I'll give you that Kojima is milking MGS a bit, but up until now it has been Snake has been involved in all of them (other than 3, but come on, that was BB :P).

You can't really say that Tony Hawk is milking it. All his games are just an improvement on the older ones. Same thing better physics etc. It's like Fifa.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭irish_ninja

wowoweeeiwow! Stunning confrence.forza, new halo MSG(meh) but most importantly Natal.Not even a whisper about Natal,motion control will be interesting to see how good it'll be.Milo?I'd say that is going to be some piece of crap,trust peter molineaux to take an unbelivable technology and figure out the most uninteresting thing to do with it.Although it is just a pimped out eye toy,which is sony's how did they not do anything with it(eyes shift to sony press confrence time)

Advertisement