Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you become a vegetarian?

Options
  • 01-06-2009 9:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

Hi,

I was hoping Vegetarian/Vegan's out there could tell me how they became a Vegetarian/Vegan? Was it a gradual thing? Did you slip up much? Did you eliminate one food at a time or all in one go?

I am trying to be Pesco-Vegetarian (without any dairy produce), and aspire to one day being vegan. My reasons for doing so is that dairy produce disagree with me, and I am more and more uncomfortable with the impact of meat rearing on the envionment. I amn't ready to give up organic/wild fish once/twice a week. Everything (except strawberries n one or two other things) I eat is organic and as locally sourced as possible. But I keep slipping up and eating a bit of chicken or pepperoni on pizza(was tipsy and forgot), and I'm feeling really down, like a failure.

I'd really like to hear that the most perfect Vegetarian among you occasionally slipped up in the beginning.

Laura

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭-lala-

laura27314 wrote: »
    Hi,

I was hoping Vegetarian/Vegan's out there could tell me how they became a Vegetarian/Vegan? Was it a gradual thing? Did you slip up much? Did you eliminate one food at a time or all in one go?

I am trying to be Pesco-Vegetarian (without any dairy produce), and aspire to one day being vegan. My reasons for doing so is that dairy produce disagree with me, and I am more and more uncomfortable with the impact of meat rearing on the envionment. I amn't ready to give up organic/wild fish once/twice a week. Everything (except strawberries n one or two other things) I eat is organic and as locally sourced as possible. But I keep slipping up and eating a bit of chicken or pepperoni on pizza(was tipsy and forgot), and I'm feeling really down, like a failure.

I'd really like to hear that the most perfect Vegetarian among you occasionally slipped up in the beginning.

Laura

I definitely never "slipped up", as it was entirely a personal choice so I really didn't want to go near anything animal-related. I used to ask my mam could I stop eating meat/fish when I was younger, she always said no so one day, when I was 12, I just stopped eating anything that had meat and fish on or near it. She then agreed to buy beans, vegetables etc at the supermarket so I started cooking everything I ate, which was a good habit to get into at such a young age. Then a year later I went vegan, which wasn't particularly difficult as I was already cooking all my own food, so I didn't really need to try and convince her.

Don't feel like a failure - it's only yourself you have to answer to, and no-one else. Just try your best to do what you feel is right - I'm sure you'll get there. Just one thought though - if you don't feel you are ready to give up certain things are you ever going to "feel" ready? It might just be a situation where one day you'll have to say "no, I'm not going to eat that anymore, I'll just quit it cold turkey" (if you'll excuse the unintentional pun) instead of trying to gear yourself up to gradually cutting it out of your diet. Having said that though, I suppose different things work for different people.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 laura27314

I guess if I'm honest I'm ok with eating fish, and eggs. Maybe that might change in the future, but for now I guess I'll just try and stop eating meat/chicken out of idle habit.

Laura

Lala hit the nail on the head. Your the only person you have to answer too.
    A lifestyle isn't definied by the odd slip up. It what you are doing most of the time that matters. Focus on the positive changes you are making.

I phased meat out gradually myself, not consciously. But when it came down to making the decision to be a veggie there wasn't alot to give up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭monellia

It was easy for me because, my principles aside, the thought of eating dead things repulsed me. In order to stay on track, you have to constantly remind yourself of why you chose the vegetarian lifestyle. You need to experiment with different types of food so you don’t fall for the common misconception that a vegan diet is restrictive and limited. I ate quorn for a while before becoming vegan.

You should also know that dairy consumption is unnatural. Humans aren‘t supposed to have cow‘s milk. We’re supposed to have milk from our mother’s breast up until a certain age and then we don’t require it anymore. All this stuff you hear about milk and yoghurt being good for you is just propaganda created by the dairy industry. Leafy greens, broccoli and soy are much better sources of calcium than milk is. Hopefully this information will help you to get even more motivated :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

monellia wrote: »
    All this stuff you hear about milk and yoghurt being good for you is just propaganda created by the dairy industry.

All this stuff you hear about milk being "unnatural" is just propaganda created by militant vegans.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Right folks, let's keep on topic here and stick to the OP's question.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭actua11

The first time I tried to go veggie I made it about three days before a slip up. I was having some lunch and stopped halfway through a ham sandwich before I remembered my attempt at vegetarianism! No slip ups this time round thankfully.

Like what was said before, I think it's hard at the start to get used to changing habits, no harm having a couple of bumps on the way. It's all about being positive about the progress, you'll get there in the end!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭jape

Can't say I ever slipped up once the decision was made, but I just remember the few months before I decided and being constantly disgusted that I was directly responsible for the torture and cruelty to chickens and pigs, etc by eating them.

I (and probably a lot of people here), was instantly happier with myself and with life in general after becoming vegetarian.

It was very easy too, people seem to think you have to actively do something to be vegetarian. When really it's the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Yeah, it's definately a transition. When I started going vegan I had oatmilk on my cereal for breakfast and soya butter at home (handily enough, the rest of my family gave up dairy years ago, though they are still omnivores and I was the only one eating dairy in my veggie diet), but when I was out a would have had normal milk in my tea. I guess I wasn't aiming for veganism; I just wanted to cut out dairy from my diet. After about 2 months of beginning the change I was totally vegan and have remained as so since.

I do think it's odd that you aspire to be a vegan; if being a non-dairy pesticarian suits you, than be proud of that and don't be wishing you were something else. When or if you want to make the change to further elimate food from your diet, worry about it then. Spread awareness about the pescitarian diet too, as still far too many people don't know about it! :D

It's great to hear that you are buying local and even organic where possible. This is something I want to get into. I do insist on buying from a vegetable shop rather than buying my vegetables in tesco/dunnes, but I guess with nearly everything loose in the vegetable shop, it's hard to see any labels to see where stuff came from. The idea of food miles and eating produce that are in season is something else I keep reminding myself to work on. One step at a time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

I stopped snacking with meat firstly, but ate it at dinners when someone else was cooking. That was for a few months, once I went off to live on my own I stopped altogether, though I believe I'm a lacto-ovo vegetarian. It was fairly easy, though after 3 days I was offered a chicken curry and was half way through before I copped. Since then, though, no slip ups. I don't think there will be, as others have said, I'm at the stage where I'm pretty repulsed by the idea of eating meat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

don't worry too much, OP, i think sweet-rasmus said it best...
    if being a non-dairy pesticarian suits you, than be proud of that and don't be wishing you were something else. When or if you want to make the change to further elimate food from your diet, worry about it then.

personally, i started off after years of niggling ideas about it, deciding (i think my housemate was watching some food/farming show about the farming industry) that i didn't want to eat any non-organic meat. then coming to realisation that i can't afford organic meat. so i figured i'd try vegetarianism in an attempt to cut out the crappy (lidl) meat i was eating, as well as to try and open myself up to more food (ive several 'food issues' and a very bad diet in general).

3 days after i started, my sister made me ham omelette, specially for me when i was visiting... couldnt turn her down...

week or so later, got pissed and craved burger...

honestly though, after about 2 years now, ive been on the vegetarian 'straight and narrow', if i want to eat eggs, it's splashing out on free range ones, though im hoping to get myself vegan one day... i just need to improve my diet first. if i cut eggs and milk out of my diet i dont think i'd eat anything but falafal, potatoes and toast. :/

lke others though at this stage, the thought of eating meat ... urrgh. though in my little theory world, i probably would kill for a full irish breakfast some days....
    and i have promised a mate that if he builds the hangi pit in his garden like he's been talking about, ill get some organic free range pig and cook and eat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Silent Partner

I turned vegetarian with my girlfriend about three years ago. At the time our motivation was:

- Health: We, I in particular, were finding meat really difficult to eat and I was having a lot of digestive trouble, e.g. taking ages for a meal to settle and feeling really heavy after eating

- Financial: When we started looking at our supermarket receipts we couldn't believe how much we were spending on meat

- Animal cruelty: Someone put it to me once that if I had to kill it myself would I still eat it? That struck a chord with me

The way we did it was we phased meat products out of the house and didn't do a grocery shop until as much meat was gone as possible. In our next shopping trip we made sure to buy things like Quorn etc.

The way we stuck with vegetarianism was we both said that if either of us craved meat badly enough, we'd eat it. After all, this is a personal decision and I only answer to myself. I've not had such a craving and haven't looked back since. The thought of eating meat now turns my stomach!

Good luck and remember, as others have said, you're doing this for you. You make your own decisions and how you stick by them is up to you.

Thanks for all your replies! At the moment I have no car (broke), and I twisted my ankle, and my bf was doing his final exams, so getting organic food was tricky. I've found www.organicsupermarket.ie really good! They deliver, and the stuff seemed really good quality! My only complaint is that they don't have the origin of their products on the site! I e-mailed them and they said they will have in the near future!

Laura

Good work Laura! It's great when you can write to a company to give them your input and that they listen :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Miss_Moneypenny

Hi Laura
    I became ovo lacto vegetarian at 15 (am 31). I suppose it would have been harder for me to have "slip ups" as then my Mam was in charge of the cooking / food buying and I wasn't going to back down in front of her:pac: TBH after a year or so your choices become automatic ie when you go into a chipper you look at the board to see if they have veggie burgers. Then again, I wouldnt be that strict and I know some old style chippers cook their chips in lard:o Twice people have cooked fish for me especially because they thought I ate it and I did eat it although I don't normally because they were older relatives who didn't understand the vegetarian thing. I felt that their feelings were more important than my principles etc... I also had taco fries in abrakebabra after a few too many!!
    Don't be hard on yourself re what you term "slip ups". There is no right or wrong way to become vegetarian. Just take things at your own pace - you are only human.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Mialuvzfun!

Hi Laura
    I became ovo lacto vegetarian at 15 (am 31). I suppose it would have been harder for me to have "slip ups" as then my Mam was in charge of the cooking / food buying and I wasn't going to back down in front of her:pac: TBH after a year or so your choices become automatic ie when you go into a chipper you look at the board to see if they have veggie burgers. Then again, I wouldnt be that strict and I know some old style chippers cook their chips in lard:o Twice people have cooked fish for me especially because they thought I ate it and I did eat it although I don't normally because they were older relatives who didn't understand the vegetarian thing. I felt that their feelings were more important than my principles etc... I also had taco fries in abrakebabra after a few too many!!
    Don't be hard on yourself re what you term "slip ups". There is no right or wrong way to become vegetarian. Just take things at your own pace - you are only human.
    It would be so hard to become veggi at 15 im 15 now and have been all my life as my paremnts are but well done i no i deffinitly wouldnt be able to start it now! but em wats lacto ovo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Mialuvzfun!

-lala- wrote: »
    I definitely never "slipped up", as it was entirely a personal choice so I really didn't want to go near anything animal-related. I used to ask my mam could I stop eating meat/fish when I was younger, she always said no so one day, when I was 12, I just stopped eating anything that had meat and fish on or near it. She then agreed to buy beans, vegetables etc at the supermarket so I started cooking everything I ate, which was a good habit to get into at such a young age. Then a year later I went vegan, which wasn't particularly difficult as I was already cooking all my own food, so I didn't really need to try and convince her.

Don't feel like a failure - it's only yourself you have to answer to, and no-one else. Just try your best to do what you feel is right - I'm sure you'll get there. Just one thought though - if you don't feel you are ready to give up certain things are you ever going to "feel" ready? It might just be a situation where one day you'll have to say "no, I'm not going to eat that anymore, I'll just quit it cold turkey" (if you'll excuse the unintentional pun) instead of trying to gear yourself up to gradually cutting it out of your diet. Having said that though, I suppose different things work for different people.

Good luck!
    Is being a vegan hard?|Im a vegetarian and I just fouin out im lactose intolerent so im kind of vegan But i eat cheese and yogurt and special milk but would it be easier to become vegan altogether? do u need to take health supplemants?

Lacto-ovo vegetarian means you eat dairy and eggs, but no meat/fish etc.

Being a vegan... It is indeed a challenge. You need to make sure you have a good diet, but it is up to the individual if you want to take supplements. I think that B12 is the one vitamin which vegans don't get so much of and so I take a supplement made by the vegan society for it. You'll find that protein is easy to take in in a vegan diet and calcium through leafy greens and such, which can be boosted with intake of vitamin C.

Is being a vegan hard?|Im a vegetarian and I just fouin out im lactose intolerent so im kind of vegan But i eat cheese and yogurt and special milk but would it be easier to become vegan altogether? do u need to take health supplemants?

It isn't really that hard - well, it can be outside of the house, but at home it's absolutely fine. I cook everything I eat, so I control what goes into it. I tend to eat lots of pulses and vegetables and potatoes, and lots of rice in my lunch and dinner, and for a snack I'll always have fruit. For breakfast, I make my own muesli (as I'm allergic to nuts, which are in pretty much all commercial mueslis), or when I'm feeling a bit lazy I have porridge with rice milk (alpro soya is full of calcium/vitamin b12/lots of other good stuff so I would recommend that unless, like me, you're allergic to soya).

Eating out can be a bit harder, but in most places it's fine - there generally won't be a choice, but there will usually be something vegan! And in most places where there isn't something vegan on the menu, they'll generally whip you up something.

I take a calcium supplement, but that's only because of my soya allergy - with a regular vegan diet it's perfectly possible to get everything you need - just watch what you eat for the first few weeks and make sure you're getting everything you should be, and then it will become natural after that.

A vegan diet is really very do-able, and not nearly as restrictive as lots of people seem to think. Good luck if you do decide to do it!

Eating out .... there generally won't be a choice,

A vegan diet..... not nearly as restrictive as lots of people seem to think.

Sounds like a little bit of a contradiction.

• Advertisement

cozmik wrote: »
    Sounds like a little bit of a contradiction.

It definitely is not a contradiction - a vegan diet in itself is not restrictive, due to the huge of variety of pulses, vegetables, fruits, grains, etc that can be eaten.

However, when it comes to eating out, there generally won't be a choice in most "normal" (i.e. non-vegetarian or non-asian) restaurants - as in there will be one vegan option on the menu.

Presumably you understand that eating out is not what people do every day for breakfast, lunch and dinner, so you can see that everyday eating as a vegan is not remotely restrictive.

I thought I had made myself perfectly clear.

It definitely is not a contradiction

Oh, but it is. :) Having no choice when you eat out is restrictive regardless of how often you do it.

I understand you perfectly -lala-. I went out for dinner tonight, and I had the vegan option and it was lovely!
    I've learnt so much from this thread! Thanks guys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭jape

It definitely is not a contradiction - a vegan diet in itself is not restrictive, due to the huge of variety of pulses, vegetables, fruits, grains, etc that can be eaten.

However, when it comes to eating out, there generally won't be a choice in most "normal" (i.e. non-vegetarian or non-asian) restaurants - as in there will be one vegan option on the menu.

Presumably you understand that eating out is not what people do every day for breakfast, lunch and dinner, so you can see that everyday eating as a vegan is not remotely restrictive.

I thought I had made myself perfectly clear.

I wouldn't even bother replying to any of his (cozmik's) posts.

He's just one of these people who still eat meat but know it's wrong, so comes on here trying to disagree with everything and annoy people to make himself feel better about his own insecurity.

Cosmik has been warned.

Jape - best to report the post rather than stirring it up again.

Back on topic - laura27314, I'm glad you enjoyed a great vegan option which out last night. May I ask where you went and what you had? Yum yum :)

jape wrote: »
    comes on here trying to disagree with everything and annoy people

Please understand it's not my intention to annoy anyone but often you will find that people get annoyed by the truth of something they don't want to face.

Cosmik has been warned.

For what?

laura27314 wrote: »
    I understand you perfectly -lala-. I went out for dinner tonight, and I had the vegan option and it was lovely!
    I've learnt so much from this thread! Thanks guys!

Glad to know you enjoyed your vegan meal! :) Where did you go?

Cozmik banned for 1 week for ignoring the warning.

Cozmik - you were pm'd about the warning, any issues you have must be taken up with a moderator and not within the thread.

Back on track now! Laura, we look forward to hearing about the meal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 c0zmik

Cozmik - you were pm'd about the warning, any issues you have must be taken up with a moderator and not within the thread.

Likewise, There was no need for you to make a public announcement that I've been warned but seen as you did I have a right to question it here.
    Cosmik has been warned.

Contrary to your insinuation, I'm not "stirring things up" and I deeply resent your slander and gross mischaracterisation!

Advertisement