Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you become a vegetarian?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Have been a Vegetarian for 10 years now I think. Don't remember the exact date that I completely gave it up but it came down to eating animals at the end of the day. Grew up surrounded by farm animals, I work with animals....I just didn't want to eat them anymore. Was a very easy thing for me to do too. I haven't dropped dead yet despite my parents protests, think they're over it now. I don't make a big deal out of it or explain myself to non vegetarians but I'm proud and happy to be one :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Mialuvzfun!

-lala- wrote: »
    It isn't really that hard - well, it can be outside of the house, but at home it's absolutely fine. I cook everything I eat, so I control what goes into it. I tend to eat lots of pulses and vegetables and potatoes, and lots of rice in my lunch and dinner, and for a snack I'll always have fruit. For breakfast, I make my own muesli (as I'm allergic to nuts, which are in pretty much all commercial mueslis), or when I'm feeling a bit lazy I have porridge with rice milk (alpro soya is full of calcium/vitamin b12/lots of other good stuff so I would recommend that unless, like me, you're allergic to soya).

Eating out can be a bit harder, but in most places it's fine - there generally won't be a choice, but there will usually be something vegan! And in most places where there isn't something vegan on the menu, they'll generally whip you up something.

I take a calcium supplement, but that's only because of my soya allergy - with a regular vegan diet it's perfectly possible to get everything you need - just watch what you eat for the first few weeks and make sure you're getting everything you should be, and then it will become natural after that.

A vegan diet is really very do-able, and not nearly as restrictive as lots of people seem to think. Good luck if you do decide to do it!
    Thanks sweet rasmus and -lala- i think i'l try gradulay do it! Thanks for the help guys :D xxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭jape

Thanks sweet rasmus and -lala- i think i'l try gradulay do it! Thanks for the help guys :D xxx

Hi,

as has been said like, if you have no allergies to soya or nuts etc, it should be fairly straightforward. One thing that annoyed me was the amount of things with egg in them you wouldn't even realise, like some pasta, rice dish, cakes, etc so that's something to watch for but most of the time it's ok. good luck with your choice anyway if u go ahead with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Yeah, it's tough walking past a bakery and seeing nicely decorated cakes and buns. At least there is the trusty 'no egg' or whichever alternative you prefer for the cupboard at home, in case a cake is to be made. Another thing I know because my sister did a cake icing course is that ornamental flowers made from sugar are usually stuck onto the white icing using egg whites too :/ I presume that breads coated in poppy seeds often use egg or milk to get those seeds to stick...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭-lala-

About the cakes - cuisine de france apple lattices and apple tarts are vegan! Cornucopia also have loads of lovely vegan desserts, and of course you can always make your own.

• Advertisement

Doughnuts are a great cuisine de france loss though (contain egg). I've made them at home a few times but it is difficult to judge when they have been cooked enough and then you end up with like 20 doughnuts to eat!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

hi!
    ive been a vegetarian nearly 14 years now, god i feel old!
    i really wanted to stop eating animals but my mam said i was too young and didnt eat enough veg.
    i went to school, first year in secondary, and had a dissection class in science. i didnt bring anything in.
    one girl in the class brought in a cows lung, it had big white lumps in it. The teacher said it must have had cancer. i was so upset and felt pretty sick.
    i marched home and told my mam there was no way i was eating meat.
    was so proud of myself! lol
    she made me eat chicken for awhile, until i started eating more veg, beans and pulses!

oh id love some govindas now! lol

Welcome to the forum maameeo :)

Thank you! :D
    hope i get to know you all! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Miss_Moneypenny

maameeo wrote: »
    hi!
    ive been a vegetarian nearly 14 years now, god i feel old!
    i really wanted to stop eating animals but my mam said i was too young and didnt eat enough veg.
    i went to school, first year in secondary, and had a dissection class in science. i didnt bring anything in.
    one girl in the class brought in a cows lung, it had big white lumps in it. The teacher said it must have had cancer. i was so upset and felt pretty sick.
    i marched home and told my mam there was no way i was eating meat.
    was so proud of myself! lol
    she made me eat chicken for awhile, until i started eating more veg, beans and pulses!

oh id love some govindas now! lol

hi Maameeo
    I luurve Govindas - only thing that is missing is diet coke (which I understand they don't stock as it contains caffeine).

• Advertisement

do you like ginger beer? they do that! and pink lemonade!
    i usaully go for the free water but if im not too stuffed (which is hard in govindas) i go with coffee and a sweetie after.
    oooh my mouth is watering! :D

I usually have a 7up but they give you so much to eat that its hard to fit a drink in as well! Yeah, I love the pink lemonade:DAlso like getting coffee and chocolate in Bewleys after a little stroll to digest my lovely dinner:)
    Have you ever been to Cornacopia (sp?) off Grafton Steet? I did a weekend course in Dublin for a year and the highlight of my Saturday was lunch

iv never been to cornacopia, i wudnt even know the way to it! weird i know, i live in dublin!
    think whenever im in town i gota get govindas so i say screw tryin something new! lol
    i must go doh! i was told its a tiny cramped place, is it?

It is small alright - you would regularly have to share a table with people and a few times I have had to walk out of there because it was packed. It was lovely though:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 stiffler1

eat plenty of meat dooooooooooh

It is small alright - you would regularly have to share a table with people and a few times I have had to walk out of there because it was packed. It was lovely though:)

hate eating in cramped places, but if its that good!!
    started a govindas thread, come share the love with me, lol :D

Advertisement