Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving threads

Options
  • 01-06-2009 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭

I recently posted on Animal & Pet Issues an article refering to Wildlife Rangers organising shoots. This was moved to Hunting. The effect of this move was to stiffle objections to this practice as people with an animal welfare agenda are hardly going to look in the hunting section.

I can appreciate that threads may cover several issues, in this case shooting & animal welfare. Why not allow similar threads in different categories so that people with all points of view can comment ?. I note that a "poster" suggested merging this item. It this a veiled way of censoring posts ?

Yet again this shows the need for a seperate animal welfare section.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

To be fair, a lot of us who post in shooting and hunting post in the animals and pets section as well. Frankly, given the wildlife rangers who also post in shooting and hunting, and the nature of the debate at hand, it was probably not appropriate in a forum geared more towards pets.

In addition, the debate is ongoing, and there are two sides to it in the hunting forum as well, if you've noticed. Also, the posts coming from the animals and pets section seem to think the rangers are betraying the animals by organising these shoots, rather than their jobs and the law, which is the real issue. The debate is well open in shooting and hunting now, and all sides are encouraged.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Also, the posts coming from the animals and pets section seem to think the rangers are betraying the animals by organising these shoots, rather than their jobs and the law, which is the real issue. The debate is well open in shooting and hunting now, and all sides are encouraged.

The "real issue" ?!. So you & the mods decide on what the real issue is ?. It is not just about their jobs & the law. It is also whether it is right that someone who's pastime is shooting wildlife should be in charge of it's care. What's next put Josef Fritsell in charge of child protection ?.

The fact that so called wildlife rangers post in hunting says it all !

Discodog wrote: »
    The "real issue" ?!. So you & the mods decide on what the real issue is ?. It is not just about their jobs & the law. It is also whether it is right that someone who's pastime is shooting wildlife should be in charge of it's care. What's next put Josef Fritsell in charge of child protection ?.

The fact that so called wildlife rangers post in hunting says it all !

This is not a topic for feedback, but you do realise that part of their job is to control animal numbers, right? They shoot animals *professionally*, and many of them hunt in their spare time as well. This comes up time and again, but what a lot of people don't realise, and in some cases seem to refuse to acknowledge, is that those whose pastime is shooting and hunting spend a huge amount of time in the wild and are very aware of it and understand it better than most. I mean, when it boils down to it, it's not the sharpest to tell a wildlife ranger who has qualifications in zoology and ecology and years of experience managing the natural environment that he shouldn't shoot animals. They simply know better than someone unqualified.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

You should drop the mod a PM and discuss it there.

This is not a topic for feedback, but you do realise that part of their job is to control animal numbers, right? They shoot animals *professionally*, and many of them hunt in their spare time as well. This comes up time and again, but what a lot of people don't realise, and in some cases seem to refuse to acknowledge, is that those whose pastime is shooting and hunting spend a huge amount of time in the wild and are very aware of it and understand it better than most. I mean, when it boils down to it, it's not the sharpest to tell a wildlife ranger who has qualifications in zoology and ecology and years of experience managing the natural environment that he shouldn't shoot animals. They simply know better than someone unqualified.

I have posted in hunting as you suggest. I too have a degree in Ecology & I have worked extensively with Wildlife Officers. Wildlife Officers should only shoot animals in distress. Culling is different & where absolutely necessary it should be carried out by a marksman.

• Advertisement

You should drop the mod a PM and discuss it there.

Done a while ago.

I have posted in hunting as you suggest. I too have a degree in Ecology & I have worked extensively with Wildlife Officers. Wildlife Officers should only shoot animals in distress. Culling is different & where absolutely necessary it should be carried out by a marksman.

Which is what they are. Culling is a big part of a wildlife ranger's job, especially in places like Wicklow where numbers of sika deer are crazy. As I recall, my local rangers cull over two hundred a year each, and shoot in their spare time, accounting for more, and yet numbers are still climbing. Like it or not, it's a big part of the job. This debate should not be happening in feedback though; it can be done on the original thread. I second the recommendation to PM the mod who moved the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Let's keep the original discussion out of the Feedback thread.

--

Discodog: your concern is that Hunting is not the correct venue to host this discussion, and you'd prefer to host it on Animals and Pets?

I'd agree with the first part of that, but not the second. It seems to me that Hunting, while not perfect, is the most appropriate that we have currently. I also think that the discussion there appears to be fair to both sides of the issue (I've only glanced over the thread).

If you feel that we need another, new, forum to discuss these issues, you can request one in "Forums".

(Aside: please keep Joseph Fritzle and other such emotive comparisions out of the discussion or we'll have to close it as Godwin'd.)

Trojan wrote: »
    Let's keep the original discussion out of the Feedback thread.

--

Discodog: your concern is that Hunting is not the correct venue to host this discussion, and you'd prefer to host it on Animals and Pets?

I'd agree with the first part of that, but not the second. It seems to me that Hunting, while not perfect, is the most appropriate that we have currently. I also think that the discussion there appears to be fair to both sides of the issue (I've only glanced over the thread).

If you feel that we need another, new, forum to discuss these issues, you can request one in "Forums".

(Aside: please keep Joseph Fritzle and other such emotive comparisions out of the discussion or we'll have to close it as Godwin'd.)

Have a look in a couple of days & see if the discussion is balanced. The only counter hunting posts (except mine) were made before the post was moved.

I have asked for an animal welfare forum & been declined. The heading for animals & pets is "questions about your pets discuss them here" . There is nowhere on Boards where people can discuss general animal welfare including wildlife. For example should the shooting of White Tailed Eagles be in animal & pets or hunting ?.

I will try to avoid emotive issues but some of us find the idea of a Wildlife Officer organising shoots as very emotive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

I have asked for an animal welfare forum & been declined. The heading for animals & pets is "questions about your pets discuss them here" . There is nowhere on Boards where people can discuss general animal welfare including wildlife.
    There is nothing stopping you from trying again. I could not find your original request, but the norm is that a forum request is rejected if there is not enough support to make it viable and sustaining. It is common for users wishing to start a forum to include a support banner in their signatures thereby actively garnering support. These avenues are open to you. If you care this strongly about the issue, and you believe that this would be a sustainable forum, you might consider a new request using the above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

I have asked for an animal welfare forum & been declined. The heading for animals & pets is "questions about your pets discuss them here" . There is nowhere on Boards where people can discuss general animal welfare including wildlife. For example should the shooting of White Tailed Eagles be in animal & pets or hunting ?.

It'd go best in here no?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=406

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055577698

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055580299

Is Mr Bond being selective about which threads he choses to merge.
    He merged mine but allowed this.

Must be me !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055577698

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055580299

Is Mr Bond being selective about which threads he choses to merge.
    He merged mine but allowed this.

Must be me !

Mrs Bond if you please......;)

Advertisement