Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

photo calendar

• 01-06-2009 11:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Long time since I've been around but with the arrival of a niece and a nephew just weeks apart it's been a hectic few months :D

I have a proposal I wanted to put across to this forum but I don't want to be stepping on any toes with the yearbook so please tell me if I am so I can change my project :)

What I'm trying to do along with the animal and pet issues forum is to put together a calendar in order to raise money for some of teh struggling smaller animal shelters with no-kill policies.

I thought there might be a bit of interest here where some members of this forum wouldn't mind submitting a favourite pet pic (since ye are all photo buffs ;) )

As however it is a calendar there would be only be 12 photos (maybe one or two more) so it would be a voting/judging process.

If anyone here has an interest ye can see the original post with a poll here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055579185

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

jen_23, you might want to make it clear who retains the rights to the photos submitted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

As long as image rights and stuff are in place i'll happily submit an miage or more if needed,Love animals and always know the shelters are doing there best to rehome animals but may be struggling with funding so i'd be up for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

Thanks Cabaal,

The rights of any image that is used in the calendar will remain with the owner of the image.

There will be a statement to that effect in the calendar as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Crispin

Sounds like a good idea- heard a lot of shelters are being laden with pets people can't afford to keep during a recession.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I have taken photos of Friends of Ben dogs and would be happy to supply you with some pics although I have agreed to shoot a calender for Friends of Ben as I am involved in their charity. You can look through the dogs pics on my flickr or I can take pics of some of the dogs you look after.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys I appreciate all the support for this project. Really want it to do well as hopefully it will make a bit of help to some deserving shelter!

Also just wondering as might be the place to ask. Does anyone know of an online programme where you can build a calendar. Similar to the blurb where you can get the profits going straight into the charity account?

Hey guys just crossposting from the animal welfare forum to see if there is any interest here.

Hey all,

So the fundraiser we are making the calendar for will be dogs in distress!

Now we can start part 2 which is the fun part taking photos!!

The photos can be of any animal of your choosing you may have more than one animal in the pic but please no more than one pic per person.

Just remember that the photos should be of a quality you would like to see in a calendar yourselves so please bear in mind the quality of the pic ie. sharp clear images.

the photos can be submitted to this email boardsanimalfundraiser@yahoo.ie
    The closing date for submittal of photos will be
    9th August Midnight

So there is plenty of time to take a suitable pic if you haven't one already or chose from all the hundreds of pet pics you may already have

Does anyone have anything to add?

I think anyone submitting images would probably like to see full terms & conditions concerning rights etc if possible.

Hi Crispin.

All rights to photos will remain with the owner and will not be used for publicity or anything else etc without permission from the owner.

A copyright statement to that effect will be printed on the calendar also.

Is there anything else you can think of regarding t&cs??

Thanks Crispin!

jen_23 wrote: »
    Hi Crispin.

All rights to photos will remain with the owner and will not be used for publicity or anything else etc without permission from the owner.

A copyright statement to that effect will be printed on the calendar also.

Is there anything else you can think of regarding t&cs??

Thanks Crispin!

Hi Jen
    Erm.... You might need to ask someone more knowledgeable on these matters: Maybe a moderator can help there...?
    You might want to specify shape/size of the calendar so people know what size/shape images to submit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

Crispin wrote: »
    You might want to specify shape/size of the calendar so people know what size/shape images to submit.

Beat me to it! I'm interested in submitting a shot for you, but I'd like to get the crop right.:)

Sorry for the delay but wanted to get all the info.
    I finally figured out today the company i'm going to get the printing done with so rang them up to see what way the photos need to be.

Now it's an A4 wall hanging calendar so the photos need to be 300dpi.

Can anyone else think of anything important I need to add here?

Thanks guys:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

Cost Price? Sale Price?
    All photos landscape?
    Thanks

padocon wrote: »
    Cost Price? Sale Price?
    All photos landscape?
    Thanks
    I understand the bold question,But why do you need to know the cost/sale price?

At the end of the day it's for charity anyway..And any money towards a charity is better than nothing:confused:

Cost Price? Sale Price?
    All photos landscape?
    Thanks

Hi Padocon,

To be honest I didn't really think landscape/portrait. I was just going to leave it up to people themselves what they wanted to submit and mix and match the styles.
    My thinking was that we may do a collage on a few months so if I had a portait and two landscapes I could fit line them up nicely.

Leave it with me for an hour though I'll phone the printers when they open and ask them what would be best just to be on the safeside.

(sorry I suppose I'm not as organised with this as I wanted to be first time ever doing a project like this so bear with me!! :o)

Also i'm actually getting 200 calendars made up from the printers as I got a fantastic quote. The money for the printing cost of the calendars will be raised by another fundraiser *to be decided upon!*
    So every cent made from the calendars will be going directly to dogs in distress.

I'm hoping to sell them b/n 10-15 euro just must figure out what ppl are willing to pay.

The plan to date is to get the calendars to the printers in the second week in August so they'l be ready for sale in September (to catch the early bird xmas shoppers!!:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

An excellent project.

I don't know if this would be of any use:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/anouilh/2536125155/

Also you could have a poster put in in various vets' waiting rooms as many people would be interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

Jen, I would happily contribute to this all my dogs past and the present one have come from rescues. Have you a charity in mind.

Hi Padocon,

To be honest I didn't really think landscape/portrait. I was just going to leave it up to people themselves what they wanted to submit and mix and match the styles.
    My thinking was that we may do a collage on a few months so if I had a portait and two landscapes I could fit line them up nicely.

Leave it with me for an hour though I'll phone the printers when they open and ask them what would be best just to be on the safeside.

(sorry I suppose I'm not as organised with this as I wanted to be first time ever doing a project like this so bear with me!! :o)

Also i'm actually getting 200 calendars made up from the printers as I got a fantastic quote. The money for the printing cost of the calendars will be raised by another fundraiser *to be decided upon!*
    So every cent made from the calendars will be going directly to dogs in distress.

I'm hoping to sell them b/n 10-15 euro just must figure out what ppl are willing to pay.

The plan to date is to get the calendars to the printers in the second week in August so they'l be ready for sale in September (to catch the early bird xmas shoppers!!:D)

Having it out early is a good idea!
    What is the quote for the calenders if you don't mind me asking.
    Have you decided where the calenders be put on sale?
    Will the fundraiser be held before the calender gos to print?

I rang the printers again and she said that landscape/portrait doesn't really matter so much. As you could have one month landscape the next portrait but it might change the size of the days of the month underneath it.

It may be better to have it all landscape as you have a bit more room underneath what do ye think any ideas?
    (sorry I'm kind of planning all this as i'm going along :o)

Jen, I would happily contribute to this all my dogs past and the present one have come from rescues. Have you a charity in mind.
    Hi Bernard
    Thanks :) We had a poll going over in the animal welfare forum. I picked about 8 charities and got everyone to vote for what they wanted.
    Dogs in Distress in Dublin was the charity that won out.

Anouilh wrote: »
    An excellent project.

I don't know if this would be of any use:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/anouilh/2536125155/

Also you could have a poster put in in various vets' waiting rooms as many people would be interested.

Thanks Anouilh! Yes it would definitly be of use :)
    Thanks for the idea a poster sounds like a good plan!
    Having it out early is a good idea!
    What is the quote for the calenders if you don't mind me asking.
    Have you decided where the calenders be put on sale?
    Will the fundraiser be held before the calender gos to print?

The quote I got for 200 14 month calendars A4 size was 375+VAT 21.5%.
    If we wanted to go with the A3 size it would be almost double that but you would have the luxury of more room on it.
    *edit* new quote for A3 230 euro more for 14 months.

I imagine it will be the A4 that we will get but will see how much is raised in the fundraiser.

I'm hoping to plan and organise some sort of fundraiser within the next 5-6 weeks so yes it will be held before print.

I rang the printers again and she said that landscape/portrait doesn't really matter so much. As you could have one month landscape the next portrait but it might change the size of the days of the month underneath it.

It may be better to have it all landscape as you have a bit more room underneath what do ye think any ideas?
    (sorry I'm kind of planning all this as i'm going along :o)

Hi Bernard
    Thanks :) We had a poll going over in the animal welfare forum. I picked about 8 charities and got everyone to vote for what they wanted.
    Dogs in Distress in Dublin was the charity that won out.

Thanks Anouilh! Yes it would definitly be of use :)
    Thanks for the idea a poster sounds like a good plan!

The quote I got for 200 14 month calendars A4 size was 375+VAT 21.5%.
    If we wanted to go with the A3 size it would be almost double that but you would have the luxury of more room on it.
    *edit* new quote for A3 230 euro more for 14 months.

I imagine it will be the A4 that we will get but will see how much is raised in the fundraiser.

I'm hoping to plan and organise some sort of fundraiser within the next 5-6 weeks so yes it will be held before print.

I Agree that landscape would be best. Posters are good, ask the printers to throw a few in for the same pice :). Or elce Pay for for more. But where will the calender be on Sale?

• Advertisement

Well what I was thinking to date was that obviously everyone who submits a photo will buy a calendar and on top of that I was going to put them into vets waiting rooms and local shops (and hoping some volunteers might do the same in their areas)
    Also was planning to rely a bit on publicity then as well.

To be honest at this point that is more or less what I had thought of...

*still brainstorming :) *

I would not be up for any organization. Sorry.
    I will sell a small amount to family & Friends + submit a photo/photos. What about having them in the charities office too.

Hi Padocon,

Apologies! I didn't mean to imply I was asking you! :o I have people in mind for that job as it is obviously if anyone else wants to get in the more the merrier but I'm happy for people to support the project in any way they wish even if it's just to buy a copy ;)

Yip thats a great idea I'll get onto DID about it thanks Padocon!! :)

Is there some sort of theme Jen?
    I think "any animal" will be a bit weird, might want to restrict it to pets (or an alternative theme) otherwise you'll have someones dublin zoo zebra pic next to a westie.:D

I think "any animal" will be a bit weird, might want to restrict it to pets (or an alternative theme) otherwise you'll have someones dublin zoo zebra pic next to a westie.:D

I see the point. In my opinion it should be kept to Irish animals, pets an wild. None from zoos I think.

Pets only i think,If you want to see wildlife you buy a wildlife calendar,Pets are what you get from these animal rescue centres so it should only be pets in it.No barn owls or hawks etc cause they'd also lack the cuteness of a puppy or a kitten or a rabbit etc

Yip as Ricky said pets - any pet from horses to smallies. Hoping people don't keep pet tigers :D

The idea is that we'l have a month of cats, dogs, horses, smallies, obviously the more popular pets such as cats and dogs will be in the majority of the calendar...

(fingerscrossed this works out!:D)
    Ricky91t wrote: »
    Pets only i think,If you want to see wildlife you buy a wildlife calendar,Pets are what you get from these animal rescue centres so it should only be pets in it.No barn owls or hawks etc cause they'd also lack the cuteness of a puppy or a kitten or a rabbit etc

exactly nicely put Ricky! :)

Advertisement