Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Find Broadband signal

Options
  • 01-06-2009 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

I am living about a 1/2 Kilometer from a shopping mall (Hotspot) and a Hotel another (hotspot). Is there a device I could buy to pick up the signal.
    Is there some special type of aerial or Dish- would I require amps or boosters?
    Any tips would be appreciated. Prevent me from going mad for the Summer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

500m is a fair stretch for a signal without boosters on their end or using repeaters. Bluntly, it's too far, you're talking about access points within buildings which probably only have a range of 30-100 meters within the building. Possibly 300 meters unobstructed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

You could get the Nanostation 2, but like bob _bot said, the AP's are probably weak indoor ones and so you have no LOS so no guarantee of it working, but you could try it.

Advertisement