Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next door neighbours smoking - advice?

Options
  • 01-06-2009 12:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi All,

As the title says, we have an issue with neighbours smoking. We live in an apartment which is in between 2 neighbours, both of whom smoke on their balconies. One of them in particular is constantly ( like every twenty mins almost!!!!! :eek:) smoking on her balcony which is right beside ours. The problem is obvious in that we have to open our doors/windows because its so warm. Our apartment is a top floor one and gets a lot of heat from the other floors so we even have to have a door/window open in the winter. Needless to say her smoke is always blowing into our apartment and as neither myself or my gf smoke we find it really annoying. I understand its her balcony and she has a right to use it how she sees fit but its becoming very intrusive.

Has anyone experienced anything like this & if so dya have any advice or suggestions on what to do?

Ive a good mind to have a nice smokey bbq on ours and give her a taste of her own medicine :)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

You can get a wind shield type construction in a garden centre- which should minimise the amount of cross wind from her direction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

you can move apartment...
    or talk to your neighbour or close your window.

there is nothing you can do to make them stop if thats what your looking for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭mossyj

moving is not an option seeing as we own the place.

Wind shield might be a good one though - didnt think of anything like that, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Buy a fan?!?!

a fan wouldnt be ideal cos we'd have to leave it on all day but thanks for the suggestion. I think some type of wind shield as previously mentioned might be the way to go!

thanks all

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Apart from a wind shield there really isn't anything you can do. As a smoker I wouldn't take too kindly to someone asking me to refrain from smoking outdoors on a balcony that I own/rent.

Put simply the smoker can't control which way the wind blows. I know it must be frustrating for you OP but as a smoker the only places we are now allowed to smoke is in our homes, the street or our cars ( and they want to ban smoking in cars next ).

So I think by confronting your neighbours about this you are only going to end up causing hassle you don't need and you won't get a resolution to the problem, in fact it may be made even worse, you'll be percieved as the annoying neighbour from both sides.

@RATM

I agree 100% with your post. I understand that for people who choose to smoke that you are very restricted as to where you can/cant smoke.

Ill try the wind breaker option + hopefully it'll keep everyone happy:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Well tbh I should just give up the filthy dirty habit but haven't yet gotten around to it yet :(
    Wind shield seems like the way forward, I hope it works out for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There just might be a responsibility on the management company to keep tobacco smoke out of the building.

But talk to your neighbour.

Advertisement