Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mental illness and education

Options
  • 01-06-2009 1:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I'm 24 years old and left school in 5th year at the age of 17 due to mental illness. In the mean time I studied humanities with the Open University and got a certificate in it but didn't pursue it further. I've been working the last 4 years but the idea of going to college full time has always been with me.

The trouble is I would find it hard to do this because of my disease. Does anyone know of any help out there for people with mental health issues getting back into education?

As a mature student what are my options? What do I need in order to start studying in a college?

Thank you!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭IKOS

Sarah.P wrote: »
    I'm 24 years old and left school in 5th year at the age of 17 due to mental illness. In the mean time I studied humanities with the Open University and got a certificate in it but didn't pursue it further. I've been working the last 4 years but the idea of going to college full time has always been with me.

The trouble is I would find it hard to do this because of my disease. Does anyone know of any help out there for people with mental health issues getting back into education?

As a mature student what are my options? What do I need in order to start studying in a college?

Thank you!!!

Hi Sarah,

You would need to apply to CAO, preferably by the 1st February next year. Usually, most institutions will consider applications late if not in by 1st.

You can indicate on your application to CAO, your medial condition, and they will make the necessary arrangements with the colleges. I don’t know about every college, but I know that UCD have a fantastic support service. I have the link below, maybe you could contact them for some advice? I am sure that all the major colleges and universities have a programme in place, but I can definitely say that UCD are actively working to make the learning environment as accessible as possible.

http://www.ucd.ie/access/dss.htm

Best of Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Hi Sarah,

Pretty much all colleges have disability support services which can provide a range of supports to students. There is a support organisiation called AHEAD as well, which also looks at ways of supporting people with disabilities in college. I dont know much about them but it might be worth your while having a chat with them about your illness and the way it affects you. Their website is http://www.ahead.ie/index.php

After that you would look for the courses that interest you and apply for them in the same way as any other mature student would. Usually via CAO before 1st of Feb. (There sometimes are other application regulations for mature students so remember to check this with the relevant colleges).

Best of luck with it.
    :)

Advertisement