Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Curious Incident, Secret Life of Bees, Inside Im Dancing

Options
  • 01-06-2009 1:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭

Anyone else doing these 3 comparative texts? Any idea on what to talk about for cultural context? Weve been doing general essays for the last 2 years, (not general v&v, just random essays on them) and our teacher only started talking bout the modes of comparison a few weeks ago! For CC ive got:
    Family-different roles of mothers and fathers
    Setting-the years and the places they're set
    Religion-influence in SLB

but i havent a clue what else to write about and every book seems to do anything other than my 3. Is there anywhere i could talk about disability and death in the cultural context q? What else could i base a paragraph around?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

I only do Inside I'm Dancing but you could talk about other things like:

Education: Does education bring power? Yes because Connolly's father is a lawyer and Connolly himself goes to college.
    Economy: How much power money brings. You can clearly see this as Rory's father can't support Rory so it has an effect on him.
    Disability: How society views those who are disabled.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

For disability you could also look at how the family members in each text cope (or don't) with their relative's disability.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

I'm doing Inside I'm Dancing and Secret Life of Bees.
    For cultural context I talk mainly about society's prejudice and how the characters in both of those texts strive to overcome them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Thanks guys, i think i have some sorta structure for it now! :D

Im just finding it hard to link in the Curious Incident with the other 2 in terms of how society views his disability, but hopefully ill get quite a lot out of how the parents deal with the disability and the role of men and women.

banjopaul, in the secret life of bees do you talk about lily overcoming a prejudice or is it more in the black women's case because of racism?

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭TheCardHolder

I've got Philidelphia here I come instead of the secret life of bees.

For cultural context I'm focusing on :
    • Conformity
    • Gender roles
    • Stereotyping
    • Disability & Inability

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

Thanks guys, i think i have some sorta structure for it now! :D

banjopaul, in the secret life of bees do you talk about lily overcoming a prejudice or is it more in the black women's case because of racism?

More the sister's really, but I also usually contrast the effects of society's prejudice on Lily, how she rejects it and forms her own opinions, to the effects of prejudice in IID, how so many people allow it to influence their behaviour. I talk about Lily's relationship with Zach a bit too.

Change of Plan (i wonder why :rolleyes:)

If im writing on theme and issue on these 3 texts, can i just write on love? And then talk about parent/child relationships, Rory and Michaels relationship with Siobhan, and Lily's relationship with Zach?

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

I don't know about the other two, but in Secret Life of Bee's, Lily and Zach's relationship never really goes anywhere, they kiss, and become friends, don't think you'd really count that as love?
    Unless you are going for the friendship sorta love thing?

I don't know about the other two, but in Secret Life of Bee's, Lily and Zach's relationship never really goes anywhere, they kiss, and become friends, don't think you'd really count that as love?
    Unless you are going for the friendship sorta love thing?

Well, i was thinking more like: Michael and Rory's physical disability prevents anything happening with Siobhan, and racism prevents anything happening with Zach and Lily...thanks tho, will probably manage enough with the parental love :)

Advertisement