Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iTunes Genius

Options
  • 01-06-2009 1:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

I don't know if anyone has used this feature on itunes but essentially you pick a song in your library and it outputs a playlist of 25 songs that are similiar (supposedly)
    My grip with it is thus. Yesterday I asked it to pick a playlist based on an Otis Redding song.
    Anyway, it picked out the usual suspects: Smokey Robinson, Ray Charles, etc
    However when i looked through it the only link between all the songs was that the artists were black. Artists who's music (Jay Z,Seal) bares no resemblance to the original artist beyond that they are of the same colour. Is that not a little odd or dare I say it racial stereotyping?
    I was wondering if anyone had come across it or had any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

don't see a problem, sure don't they give out awards based just on colour of skin - MOBO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

MOBO isn't just based on your race. Any musician can win it.

It's the style and background of your music that they are judging.

Advertisement