Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English - a real pain in the hand

Options
  • 01-06-2009 1:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭

any one have any tips to preserve the hand while writing through a 3 hour exam?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

every fifteen minutes put your writing hand up in the air to drain the used blood away and then swing it from side to side to get new blood in....probably annoy the crap out of everyone but it's your exam

also you may end up with a lot of extra paper because the invigilator will think thats what you want

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Gi joe!

Try doing history and classics, 16-18 A4 pages(dunno how many with exam paper) in 2 hours 50 minutes:mad:

In all seriousness, what I do to clear my head and give my hand a break is have 30 seconds to take a few deep breaths and shake my hand every 45 minutes or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Chanandler Bong

kevogy wrote: »
    any one have any tips to preserve the hand while writing through a 3 hour exam?
    if you dont have one already buy a cushioned-pen holder-thingy, really helps me cos i've an awkward pen grip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭kevogy

if you dont have one already buy a cushioned-pen holder-thingy, really helps me cos i've an awkward pen grip

a grip?

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭phic

also it was said in the exam pens thread that switching pen sizes helps! dunno if it's true, and it'd annoy me that the ink is different colours but it might help?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

No pulling yourself between now and Wednesday :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Weekend Warrior

Get a Uniball ink pen. You don't have to put pressure down to write like you do with a biro, and so your hand doesn't get tired so quickly and you write faster too. :) My art teacher told me this and it definitely works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭corkarcher

creggy wrote: »
    No pulling yourself between now and Wednesday :pac:

Tho it might help to loosen up the wrist DURING the exam... Plus you don't have to worry about getting extra paper! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭armbruster

Yeh get those pen grip things. I didn't use them in the L.C. though and my hand was killing me. Used them a year later in my college exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Yeah switch pens loads. Sounds crazy but you can try just washing and (this is a little camp) moisteurising the hands a good bit before going in, so they dry. I heard of a lad who always brought deep heat cream in and used it to relax his hand right after the exam was over for the rest of the exams.

If you're really having trouble move the page around mid exam. Some people can right with the page almost landscape across the desk. Again just the different angle will help your wrist.

Lastly set yourself goals at the start. Its very easy to quit when you don't have a goal. So tell yourself going in "I am going to write 4 pages for this and 5 pages for this and 3 pages for this" if you have goals you will fight to reach them.

Best of luck mate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Jam-Fly

corkarcher wrote: »
    Tho it might help to loosen up the wrist DURING the exam... Plus you don't have to worry about getting extra paper! :rolleyes:

Might need a tissue though

Advertisement