Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MCC Smarts in Ireland

• 01-06-2009 1:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi,

I just wanted to see how many people here drives a Smart (cause I do see quite a number of them even though they don't sell it here!). There use to be a club (www.smartcarireland.net) here in Ireland but I don't think it exists anymore...
    <snip>
    Give me a shout if you or know someone that drives a Smart!

Cheers~

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Not looking good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I've edited the OP on the off chance that it's not just spam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

A Smart owner's club? Sounds like it'd be worthwhile if there's a few of them around - it seems like the kind of car that would engender some loyalty/pride.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Always liked the look of them and there seems to be a few more ForFours on the road. Never driven one though, aren't they semi-auto?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Dont Smart cars have a **** safety record? I think its changed some what since Merc took them over but if you were in a crash I remember reading a paper car would protect you more

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I thought Merc were always involved (Swatch Merc ART)?!?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

kearnsr wrote: »
    Dont Smart cars have a **** safety record? I think its changed some what since Merc took them over but if you were in a crash I remember reading a paper car would protect you more

I thought they were supposed to have one of the strongest protections around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Fugy

No not a spam! haha.

Really want to meet more people that drives a Smart here! And the other day I saw the Heatwave 09 ad and thought it would be great if a number of Smart cars go join the show~

Surprisingly, the Smart car does provide quite adequate protection for city driving. But if you're talking about high speed accidents, then that's a different story.

So if you do know anyone that drives a Smart, please direct them to this thread! Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

I was in Rome last week

The city is full of smart cars, I was surprised I thought there were plenty of small Italian made cars that would have been more popular but it seems like the Smart Car is king over there

Don't see too many of them around here but walk past a couple every day on the way home from work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

You'll see loads of them on the continent, along with Clios, Foxs etc. etc.

I really like the way that people there buy small cars because they live in the city, and don't worry about what the neighbours will think of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I was in Rome last week

The city is full of smart cars, I was surprised I thought there were plenty of small Italian made cars that would have been more popular but it seems like the Smart Car is king over there

20 years ago all the small cars in Rome were the original FIAT 500s. They were about the same size as a Smart Car is now. No need for parallel parking :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭1275gt

Fugy wrote: »
    So if you do know anyone that drives a Smart, please direct them to this thread! Thanks!

We have a Black Smart Roadster Coupe :P and i know the chap who used to run the Smart club and he has one too, but not the coupe, the notchback version.

Maybe only one of around 5 cars I'd be willing to give up minis for :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I think there's a guy on octane.ie who has a Smart that competed in some sort of rally. has an external spare wheel and a few other modifications done to it. saw it at the ALMC motor show a few months back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

unkel wrote: »
    20 years ago all the small cars in Rome were the original FIAT 500s. They were about the same size as a Smart Car is now. No need for parallel parking :D
    There used to be one in the Phoinex Park everyday parked like that! Saw it everday for a few months and always got a laugh out of looking at it parked facing the path!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Fugy

1275gt wrote: »
    We have a Black Smart Roadster Coupe :P and i know the chap who used to run the Smart club and he has one too, but not the coupe, the notchback version.

Maybe only one of around 5 cars I'd be willing to give up minis for :cool:

Hi~

Would you or know anyone that would be interested in joining the Heatwave09 car show at Santry on the 14th of June? I thought it would be quite neat if a number of Smart cars join the show as it is quite rare in Ireland. Let me know~

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

unkel wrote: »

There were quite a few of the new Fiat 500's over there too so they are making a bit of a comeback

Most of the Smart Cars were parallel parked (only saw one or two that weren't) and I couldn't for the life of me figure out why except that it might be difficult to reverse out of some parking spots as they drive like lunatics

Advertisement