Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strimmer dies on full throttle

Options
  • 01-06-2009 2:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭

Not sure where to post this but anyway, my strimmer cuts out when I squeeze the throttle.

It starts fine and will run idle without stopping, I can get it revved up about half way, but if I try to increase the revs it dies.

Any possible easy enough fixes before I send it off to get repaired?

Would a too strong petrol to two stroke oil ratio cause a cut out? I wasn't the last person using the strimmer so I don't know what they did to it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭JohnButler

Hi,

what kind of a strimmer is it?

Ye one possibility is the fuel mix could be too strong. You are aswell to empty out the tank and fill with a new correct mix of petrol and two stroke oil.

Have you checked exhaust for any blockages?

Is the spark plug clean and the gap correct?

What it sounds like to me though is a carburetor problem. It may just need adjusting but if it doesnt work with a re-adjustment, if you can do it yourself, you should disassemble carburetor. Clean with a carb cleaner and use a toothbrush for the small portals. Check the small screen in the carb and make sure that it's free of debris. Then reassemble and see if it works properly. If it doesnt then a new carb may be needed. Anyone who services or repairs machinery like this can tell you anyway.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭xt40

JohnButler wrote: »
    Hi,

what kind of a strimmer is it?

Ye one possibility is the fuel mix could be too strong. You are aswell to empty out the tank and fill with a new correct mix of petrol and two stroke oil.

Have you checked exhaust for any blockages?

Is the spark plug clean and the gap correct?

What it sounds like to me though is a carburetor problem. It may just need adjusting but if it doesnt work with a re-adjustment, if you can do it yourself, you should disassemble carburetor. Clean with a carb cleaner and use a toothbrush for the small portals. Check the small screen in the carb and make sure that it's free of debris. Then reassemble and see if it works properly. If it doesnt then a new carb may be needed. Anyone who services or repairs machinery like this can tell you anyway.

Hope this helps.
    before taking anything apart,just take off the air filter and spray loads of carb cleaner into the intake with it running. watch that stuff, it is lethal and melts rubber gloves so wear leather ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

xt40 wrote: »
    before taking anything apart,just take off the air filter and spray loads of carb cleaner into the intake with it running. watch that stuff, it is lethal and melts rubber gloves so wear leather ones.

Very bad idea on a two stroke, two strokes depend on oil for lubrication and carb cleaner will clean oil very efficiently( thats what it's made for) so much so that you run the risk of galling the piston or even worse siezing the engine totally.
    I would not advise doing this.

Have you checked the airfilter is clean?
    Take the housing off and there should be a small foam filter in there, maybe with a prefilter of some kind as well.
    Clean the filter in kerosene and then use a solution of detergent and water to really clean it, leave it to dry and then put a small amount of engine oil in a plastic bag and add the foam filter to it and make sure the oil covers all the filter.
    Squeeze the excess out and refit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Replace the plug before you do anything else.

Advertisement