Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ's Prime Time would love your input for Euro elections show

Options
  • 01-06-2009 2:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

Hi guys, Mark here - I'm working on the Prime Time European elections special at the minute. Darragh Doyle gave us a shout and said we should come and talk to some Boardsies.

Our Euro elections special is live on RTÉ One tomorrow night (Tuesday June 2nd) - we're looking for people to submit videos either detailing the issues that will shape how you vote or put a question to party representatives.

There will be high-profile faces from all the main political parties on the panel. We've already had a great response through email and Twitter to a request for questions people want us to put to candidates - but we're aware videos will have more impact.

20 or 30 seconds of webcam-recorded video is all we're looking for...

The best way to send us your video is to upload it to Youtube and add it as a response to Mark Little's video. Alternatively you can upload to a different video hosting site and email the link to primetime (@) rte.ie. We're still accepting questions via email and Twitter of course, or you can simply leave a reply in this thread - or PM.

If the quality of the video sent in is sufficient we plan to use them as part of a package we'll show to party reps live on air tomorrow night.

I'll be revisiting this thread several times before tomorrow night's show so if you have any queries feel free to leave a reply below and I'll respond ASAP.

So to summarise:
    • We'd love your questions and comment on the Euro elections sent by video
    • You can email primetime (@) rte.ie
    • You can also leave your questions/comments in this thread
    • You can get in touch via PM
    • You can get in touch via Twitter
    Thanks in advance for any input that may submitted.

Mark

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Sounds good - I think it would be great to have a link from politics on Boards.ie straight to Prime Time seeing as its RTEs flagship politics/current affairs programme.

That said though am def. not making a monkey of myself on TV......!!!!

There all done - and not even one mention of the Marie Hoctor incident :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 RTE Prime Time: Mark

How about a question for a part rep via a reply on here, Raiser?

If you're not interested in video, no problem, question though are welcome through any medium.

Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Cheers Mark - Well there's two Euro Candidates in particular who are generating a considerable amount of debate on here in recent times.....

First of all there has been some very strong reaction to Toireasa Ferris again refusing to condemn those responsible for the shooting dead of a member of An Garda Siochana on the streets of Adare, a sleepy little town in the Midwest of Ireland.

Can a Candidate in both the Local and European Elections really stand before the Electorate in June 2009 and refuse to separate themselves from the actions of people who would shoot dead a serving Garda and father of five children as they frantically botched a shameful Post Office robbery?
    - This was in conversation with Ivan Yates on Newstalk's breakfast show (28th May)

Secondly Kathy Sinnott has featured in a German TV documentary apparently arriving on a Friday morning to sign a register for a ~€280 daily attendance payout when she was packed and ready to leave for the airport immediately after. Something she was not in a position to deny - instead insisting she had an alternative working arrangement in place [?]

So it really begs the question - if she is voted back in as an MEP - will she actually attend? There's some excellent footage of MEPs caught scamming the system and literally running for cover when they have so obviously been caught red-handed failing to represent the very people who entrusted them with the position etc.

- The you tube video is here; I would imagine that with some choice edits you could have 20-30 seconds of footage that would certainly be of interest to Prime Time viewers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

The Kathy Sinnot incident (signing on the attendance list and leaving straight away) is also of considerable concern to me. She says that she had worked from 12am-7am, but that is not what the allowance is for. It is for MEP's who spend the day there after signing on.

Whens the deadline for submissions?

Thanks for the responses guys, all taken on board.

The deadline for submissions will be around 7.45

I'll be releasing the names of the panel here once we have it confirmed. It will be made up of candidates from all constituencies and as I'm sure you expect, it'll be balanced.

I know from my own experience it can be difficult to think of questions to put to "a party", so hopefully when the names are put up a few more people will get involved.

Keep the q's coming... very much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Hi Mark,

thanks for the opportunity. Without knowing who you're going tohave on the panel I probably don't have many questions really, but in terms of general party questions:

For Libertas:
    How do they intend to implement some of the local Irish changes they are talking about from Europe, e.g. reducing tax on businesses or reforming the Health Service. Their economic plan seems full local level changes that, in my view anyway, aren't European matters. The taxation one being a perfect example. What kinds of tax reductions are they talking about and if they are direct taxation reductions surely they know this can't be done by Brussels? And how do they plan to reform the Health Service from Brussels?

How do they propose to protect our Corporate Tax further given that direct taxation isn't even a competency of the EU?

What exactly is their policy on migration between member states?

General Questions for all Parties:
    When it comes to the second Lisbon referendum what are the parties plans to inform and educate the electorate on the treaty? And do they admit that the campaign last year was poorly conceived and incredibly niave in the face of clever marketing from the No camp?

What are the details of the guarantee re the Commissioner and what are the parties positions on the issue considering the fact that the EU is looking to expand further and to retain the 1 Commissioner per member state rule will only serve to slow down the EU.

Thanks for that Molloyjh, they're added to the list. Good questions I must say too.

I'll get back here with the confirmed panel ASAP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

Hi Mark, thank you for the opportunity,

A question for all candidates but particularly those in the South and West constituencies.

Job creation is of extreme importance in the current climate, Ireland has lost its competitive advantage and it needs every bit of help in order to regain its once attractive image. Job creation would also seem to be a policy of all the candidates.

As a result of Dell moving its manufacturing base to Lodz in Poland, Limerick has been exposed to a major increase in unemployoment. As much as 8,000 people are expected to loose their jobs from both Dell and all its supporting companies as well as those that rely on the disposable income of former Dell employees. What have all the candidates done in order to increase Irelands attractiveness and what will they do in the future in order to pormote Irelands ability wo win investment.

Are the candidates fighting to regain Objective 1 status for the Mid West so that it will be on a par with the Border Midlands and West region? This status is designated by the EU and so I feel our MEPs have a strong ability to voice my concern in this. What evidence do they have that they are doing this?

Great stuff guys, good question Solice.

Keep 'em coming, very interesting and informed questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I'd also like to thank Prime Time for the opportunity.

For all Parties

Seeing as we have been a bit dubious about Lisbon and by extension the EU why have parties not attempted to engage the public in their literature on the EU and what it means and how it works? Much of what has been on offer suggests areas like jobs and investments, a competence more commonly associated with national governments.

Libertas

If the party fails to win anywhere near the projected seats how can they justify their campaign to use the EU elections as a plebiscite on Lisbon and more importantly their claim to be a pan-European party?

FG
    How effective have the party's attempts at vote management been when you consider the huge gap between candidates, especially in the East constituency?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

All Parties

If Lisbon is passed, national parliaments will gain extensive rights to see and object to European legislation before it's voted on. How do the MEPs plan on coordinating with their parties in the Oireachtas to take advantage of these new rights if Lisbon is passed?

Do those MEPs whose parties are in Opposition have any plans for publicising such legislation?

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Raiser wrote: »
    Cheers Mark - Well there's two Euro Candidates in particular who are generating a considerable amount of debate on here in recent times.....

First of all there has been some very strong reaction to Toireasa Ferris again refusing to condemn those responsible for the shooting dead of a member of An Garda Siochana on the streets of Adare, a sleepy little town in the Midwest of Ireland.

Can a Candidate in both the Local and European Elections really stand before the Electorate in June 2009 and refuse to separate themselves from the actions of people who would shoot dead a serving Garda and father of five children as they frantically botched a shameful Post Office robbery?

There's more than one thread on this, and I'd love the opportunity to ask the questions that I posted in this semi-open letter to Ms Ferris; failing that, I'd like to see someone actually tackle her on it on my behalf.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055574147

Other Issues

Why did the FF euro canvassing material arrive on my doorstep without any exterior logo ? Are they that ashamed of their party ? And do they seriously believe that conning people who would otherwise bin it into opening it will increase their credibility ?

Will we need to keep on voting for Lisbon until we vote [what they view as] the "right" way ?

Where do they stand on the U.S. troops' use of Shannon ?

Given that Europe and the Eurozone was originally meant to have harmonised taxes and costs, and be a single market, how can they justify having extra excise duty, the made-up "VRT" and other overheads ? i.e. if we vote for Lisbon and take some of the downsides, can we finally experience some of the up-sides and compete on an equal footing in tourism and jobs without the ball-and-chain of having costs which are higher, making us woefully uncompetitive ?

What safeguards will be put in place to prevent further abandonment of Ireland and its regions by former semi-state companies such as Aer Lingus and Eircom - privatised with such foresight by FF & the PDs, with zero safeguards and zero rules for investment, and with zero intent to protect our regions and people as epitomised by the "hands off" approach after Aer Lingus abandoned Shannon ?

When will the Western corridor be completed (road and rail) so that Ireland is not focussed on Dublin to the detriment of all other areas, with all major road and rail infrastructure (and air, if Aer Lingus get their way) leading in and out of Dublin ?

Apologies for the delay - Tonight's panel

Eoin Ryan FF
    Colm Burke FG
    Susan O'Keefe L
    Mary Lou McDonald SF
    Raymond O'Malley Libertas
    Dan Boyle G
    Joe Higgins SP

All questions posted so far have been passed on to Mark Little and I'll try and get a few more to him before we go to air.

Thanks once again. Mark will be blogging about the questions we've received at some point tomorrow. You can get the link to the Prime Time part of the RTÉ Elections blog on www.rte.ie/primetime

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Simple question for all parties

Have they any plans to implement further immigration control laws in Europe due to our rising un-employment?

And one for Fianna Fail.

With Dermot Ahern's opinion that we are not in the correct economic situation to run a referendum (see: Blasphemy Laws) have they any idea how many times they will put our economy through the process of running the Lisbon referendum. Or is it 'til we vote the right way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I'd like to applaud primetime for coming here to look for our views. I've learned a huge amount from the boards.ie politics forum and its great that primetime are acknowledging the opinions of people here.

I would like to know if the EU candidates will fight for the reduction in class sizes for primary school children in Ireland. We are a laughing stock in terms of pupil teacher ratios in Europe, and I would like MEPs to use any power possible to investigate this huge problem and ensure that pressure is put on by Europe to force the government to give the youngest children the best possible chance in their education. A ratio of 20 to 1 is achieveable if child education is prioritised, the current realistic ratio of 30+ to one is a disgrace and must be considered a priority by MEPs if we are to have a highly educated population when the recession turns.

I would also be very interested in the Toiresa Ferris issue and would be very curious to see if Mary Lou McDonald also refuses to condemn the murder of a Garda. I would hope to see her pressed for a direct answer. For me, condemnation of murder and submission to the law as enforced by the Gardaí is the absolute minimum for a public representative.

I also would be curious about the election posters from FF. Here in the South constituency, Brian Crowley's election posters have the tiniest FF logo. I fear this is FF revealing their perception that this will confuse and trick voters to vote for FF candidates, without realising they are FF candidates. Ridiculous maybe, but there are no lows for FF now. I believe this election poster issue is a simple portrayal of the 'us FF' versus Joe Public and the effort to hold power despite the views of the electorate.

Good luck with the program and I will be watching eagerly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

A question, in particular for the 3 panel members who would seem to be contesting the last seat in Dublin ie. McDonald, Ryan and Higgins:

What would be their clear, specific aims in terms of policies they'd support as MEPs (aside from all this economic recovery rubbish they spit out, as if one MEP could achieve that). I'd just like to know a concise summary of their policy goals in Europe should they get elected.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

1) Will any of the EU candidates be trying to sort out the lack of decent school buildings by trying to get support from Europe? I cant get over the fact that our government are finding it acceptable to just rent out prefabs and let our school children study in some third world conditions for a country that has done very well financially in the past.

2) Why should we consider Sinn Fein for Europe when we have Mary Lou McDonald who has a poor attendance record, was against the Lisbon and effectively joined forces with Libertas in launching a campaign against the Lisbon (some of the reasons given to vote "No" were questionable, to say the least). The same candidate who is constantly on radio trying to make out that every other candidate is against her and suggesting that some dont want her elected simply because she was a woman! Going on about how much of a victory it was that there was a "No" to Lisbon (note: Only a recent poll in the Irish Times shows continued growth in support for the "Yes" side to Lisbon when the question is returned to the voters). Does Mary not realise how much Europe has done for us? Is it really a big victory to overcome the main party's looking for a Yes vote when really most people voted No because they failed to understand what was being presented due to poor communication from the main party's? I always had respect for Mary Lou and found her a decent candidate, but from what I read in papers and hear on the radio lately both from Mary herself and other candidates, I have some concerns.

We have Toiresa Ferris who it seems refuses to stand up and condemn Jerry McCabes killers (you will recall, Jerry McCabe was a member of the Garda Síochána, carrying out his professional duties, who was shot and killed by members of the IRA during the attempted robbery of a post office.) (I would like a direct request that Toiresa condemn the killers rather then dodging the question with a political answer)

3) Brian Crowely is doing very well in the polls, but he seems to be hiding the fact that he is a Finna Fail candidate. Everywhere I drive lately I see posters, large signs erected along the roads and his face on the back of buses that all use different colours and design to the main Finna Fail election posters and fail to show the Finna Fail logo in any decent light. Is Brian ashamed to be part of Finna Fail? The people would like to know what party, if any, each candidate is running for alongside what they can offer us. If he is afraid to be noticed as a Finna Fail candidate during the run up to the elections (regardless of how it appears on a ballot paper) then how do we know that he can really offer us much in Europe?

4) I would like to know what issues John Paul Phelan of Fine Gael is planning on representing the electorate in the East constituency on? Does he have anything in particular that he will be fighting for? I have always been very impressed with his work within the Fine Gael Seanad Spokesman on Enterprise, Trade & Employment and I hope that if John gets elected he will continue his work in Europe representing us in the East.

EDIT: Okay, im late on this. Perhaps someone will float in and comment!?

I'm sorry to say some of the questions that has come in since my last post in this thread wont be seen my Mark Little before the show tonight. All the came in prior to my last did. Mark plans on posting about your questions on the aforementioned blog tomorrow.

We go to air at 9.35, you can watch online at www.rte.ie/live

Thanks for your input. We'll be back again in the future, hopefully near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

Prime Time wrote: »

Eoin Ryan FF
    Colm Burke FG
    Susan O'Keefe L
    Mary Lou McDonald SF
    Raymond O'Malley Libertas
    Dan Boyle G
    Joe Higgins SP

Did Raymond O'Malley drop out or something?

EDIT: Never mind, he's stumbled in.

Disappointed.

4 replies in this thread asking for Prime Time to attempt to get an explanation of Toireasa Ferris' disgusting stance, so I sat down to watch it.....

Question not even asked.

• Advertisement

Well she wasnt really there so maybe they thought it irrelevant.

May Lou was still completely out of her depth, she doesnt like the aul direct questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

turgon wrote: »
    Well she wasnt really there so maybe they thought it irrelevant.

May Lou was still completely out of her depth, she doesnt like the aul direct questions.

They could have asked Mary Lou the question. RTE seem to want to ignore that a huge number of people have a problem with this element of SF's collective attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Higgins really should have taken advantage of the McDonald/Ryan bickering

Trotter wrote: »
    They could have asked Mary Lou the question. RTE seem to want to ignore that a huge number of people have a problem with this element of SF's collective attitude.

Yup, since the consensus elsewhere seems to be that it's not Toireasa herself, but the Borg mentality of the party, the same issue would apply to Mary Lou....

Maybe not as closely, because she's not looking for support from the constituency in question that's down a Garda, but it would reflect on her [in]ability to be representative of the people in matters of law & order.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Trotter wrote: »
    I'd like to applaud primetime for coming here to look for our views.
    I didn't see this until now. Hear hear. Well done. It's a very democratic and innovative move by both Boards and Prime Time and should be welcomed and applauded.
    Liam Byrne wrote: »
    4 replies in this thread asking for Prime Time to attempt to get an explanation of Toireasa Ferris' disgusting stance, so I sat down to watch it.....

Question not even asked.
    I don't disagree on her disgusting stance. But to be fair, yer wan with the legs wasn't on the panel and it should remain RTÉ's call to decide what's considered "off-topic" for a European election debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭markopantelic

I really liked the show tonight, great work. I'm kinda excited to be voting this Friday :D

Yes indeed, fair dues to Prime Time.

Worth mentioning that the "video via YouTube" was myself, and I submitted this through Boards so they did take what we said into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

My vote is edging towards Ryan after watching the show. He seems to be the only one genuinely tuned in to what goes on in the European Parliament.

The other two couldn't really explain what they'd do if they were elected. Joe Higgins talked about privatisation of Eircom etc. but thats not something he can change from Europe. I question his motives for this, he probably thinks he has a good chance of getting the seat given the anger with the government and he'll have a nice cushy job in Europe. He's already said he'll stand in the next General Election as well and isn't committed to the 5 years.

Similar sentiments for Mary Lou, the usual talk but nothing of substance. Her attendance last time indicates she's not too bothered. AFAIK maternity leave doesn't last 5 years either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 2-D Man

Marshy wrote: »
    My vote is edging towards Ryan after watching the show. He seems to be the only one genuinely tuned in to what goes on in the European Parliament.

The other two couldn't really explain what they'd do if they were elected. Joe Higgins talked about privatisation of Eircom etc. but thats not something he can change from Europe. I question his motives for this, he probably thinks he has a good chance of getting the seat given the anger with the government and he'll have a nice cushy job in Europe. He's already said he'll stand in the next General Election as well and isn't committed to the 5 years.

Similar sentiments for Mary Lou, the usual talk but nothing of substance. Her attendance last time indicates she's not too bothered. AFAIK maternity leave doesn't last 5 years either.

I hate Eoin Ryans stupid posters were he is holding a placard in them.....

Did you enjoy Ryan's submissions to the EU parliament, all of which regarded "coins that look like euros but aren't". No doubt this was of much interest and a top priority for Irish people as opposed to Mary Lou's submissions on shipping and fishing.... like the island of Ireland needs anything to do with that....

No it lasts a number of months which would explain her attendance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

2-D Man wrote: »
    Unlike other candidates Mary Lou had to take Maternity Leave on account of her having a child during her term.

That's laughable. Her husband could have looked after the child, she could have paid for a childminder, or she could have stepped down from the role.

Just imagine the reaction if a man used that as an excuse for poor attendance.

Nothing particularly against Ryan but I'm not voting for anyone in Fianna Fail this election. Gonna go with Higgins first preference

Advertisement