Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cabling for electric gates

Options
  • 01-06-2009 2:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭

just wondering what cabling i should provide for intercoms.i don't do 2nd fix on these.The gates are on average 50-70 Metres from house with an extension upstairs.i mostly use outdoor cat 5 but i hear conflicting ideas on this .thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Use a 5 pair polly/polly.

This is a bit like a CAT 5 with a bit of mechanical protection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

i'm not that familiar with gates so i seem to get a different opinion all the time.poly-poly,outdoor cat5,7*.75 screened,7*1.5 swa.Whats the max distance with the poly-poly and does that cover video and power for the intercoms thanks. is the outdoor cat5(ducted btw) not suitable?thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭paddymick

A 5 pair poly/poly would do the job,theres a lot of intercoms availible that only need 2 wires but personally i would run a 10 pair just for future proofing for the sake of an extra few euro.this will allow you to double up on cores for long runs and allow for extra controls in the house like hold open switches or maybe a switch to dissable a magnetic loop etc.

And if the money wasnt to much of an issue id run a coax for a camera

ok fair enough thanks.i assume the 5-pair powers the intercoms as well.what's the range of the poly-poly approx?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

i assume the 5-pair powers the intercoms as well.what's the range of the poly-poly approx?

The range is determined by both the cable and the intrecom system. I would suggest that you use a "Terraneo" intercom system. They are made by Legrand. These analogue audio only systems cost about €80 and claim to work over 100 mteres, but do in fact work at over 120 meters. This system has a button on the handset for opening the gate and if you use a poly/poly and or a CAT5 cable the sound quality is fantastic. Extra handsets can be added cheaply. This system requires 8 cores between the gate and the house so with a 5 pair cable you will have 2 spare cores. The connection diagram is very clear as are the instructions, so dont worry if you have not used one before.

If possible bring the polly/polly form the gate directly to the board with no joins. Then bring a CAT5 from the board to each handset. The intercom transformer is quite big (about 6 or 8 mod), but is designed to be din rail mounted in a distribution board.

For longer ranges I would suggest a digital system, but they cost lots more and so does the cable!

Good luck!!

• Advertisement

i've brought the cable from gate to first handset downstairs and looped straight upstairs to second handset .does that mean the intercoms have to be powered from the gate end?
    Is that wiring setup you described suitable for most systems or just legrand (i won't be doing installs).i'm looking for the best generic 1st fix if that's possible thanks

does that mean the intercoms have to be powered from the gate end?
    That would sound like the most simple way according to the way you wired it.

The only issue is that at the gate end you can be restricted for space.
    Is that wiring setup you described suitable for most systems or just legrand
    It would do all of the analogue systems.

good thanks .sounds like the best way. poly-poly straight to board and a wire back to each handset.no issues with interference at board with regular cat-5?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭JOHNPT

No expert on electric gates but have seen them done. I know there is a cable which u can lay on the driveway which when u drive over on the way out it opens gates. Might be something worth considering.

JOHNPT wrote: »
    No expert on electric gates but have seen them done. I know there is a cable which u can lay on the driveway which when u drive over on the way out it opens gates. Might be something worth considering.

thats a something? loop it would be integrated into a system for exiting the property

• Advertisement

i think i might read up on this some more .i'm afraid im not in the habit of doing research.after 2 years full-time electronics the sight of a book used to make feel ill

I know there is a cable which u can lay on the driveway which when u drive over on the way out it opens gates. Might be something worth considering.
    Yes, I have seen this too. This can also be achieved using a second set of photo cells. As you can imagine it reduces security, but it is very practical.
    the sight of a book used to make feel ill
    It is not as hard as you may think. If you saw the wiring diagram it would all make sense. Drop into somewhere that sells the gear and ask for a diagram. They will give this out no problem to someone that might buy thier gear.

The hardest bit is to sink the boxes properly and hang the gates correctly, not the electrical bit!!

will that legrand system work with my looped wiring . as i can fit the power supply at the end ,on the house side to reduce distance for intercom power.and can the legrand system be fitted prior to gate installation or does it all need to be integrated or matched up .thanks

will that legrand system work with my looped wiring . as i can fit the power supply at the end ,on the house side to reduce distance for intercom power.and can the legrand system be fitted prior to gate installation or does it all need to be integrated or matched up .thanks
    As far as I can remember, yes. I would suggest that you phone Legrand (01-295 4465) at their office and I am sure they will fax you a wiring diagram. They have very helpful technical staff there that know all of the intercom systems inside out. All of your questions can be answered over the phone. They also sell video intercom systems and offer great support.

For the length of run you have it will not be an issue where the transformer is located.

Let us know how you get on.

will do .

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭paddymick

2011 wrote: »
    Yes, I have seen this too. This can also be achieved using a second set of photo cells. As you can imagine it reduces security, but it is very practical.

A second set of photocells will work to open the gate but you really need to put a switch on it in the house thats were the 10 pair comes in handy also its very easy for things like dogs and kids running around the garden to open the gate.I`d go for a magnetic loop if i had the option and if you planning on putting tarmac on your driveway in the future i would stick the loop in first even if you never use it as it will save you cutting later.

2011 wrote: »
    The range is determined by both the cable and the intrecom system. I would suggest that you use a "Terraneo" intercom system. They are made by Legrand. These analogue audio only systems cost about €80 and claim to work over 100 mteres, but do in fact work at over 120 meters. This system has a button on the handset for opening the gate and if you use a poly/poly and or a CAT5 cable the sound quality is fantastic. Extra handsets can be added cheaply. This system requires 8 cores between the gate and the house so with a 5 pair cable you will have 2 spare cores. The connection diagram is very clear as are the instructions, so dont worry if you have not used one before.

If possible bring the polly/polly form the gate directly to the board with no joins. Then bring a CAT5 from the board to each handset. The intercom transformer is quite big (about 6 or 8 mod), but is designed to be din rail mounted in a distribution board.

For longer ranges I would suggest a digital system, but they cost lots more and so does the cable!

Good luck!!

just wondering if this home-run wiring method is the standard for intercoms/gates or does it depend on the system.also is there a basic home audio intercom system with 3 handsets and gate opening suitable for 4-pair daisy chained from gate(a link if possible)thanks

just wondering if this home-run wiring method is the standard for intercoms/gates
    Generally. It keeps all of your options open and means that you use the minimum amount of cores.

Always best to get a drawing to be sure!!

that's what i thought.back to the patch panels i suppose for integration and expansion of intercom system.

that's what i thought
    Yes. For 3 handsets a patch panel will not be needed, but perhaps you have one anyway for other things.

As you will see there are not too many connections and many go to the same terminals.

• Advertisement

if the interom cabling is brought back with the cat5's for phone and network.i suppose it could be integrated with the phones and network later if necessary .that would be my thinking

+ 1

Advertisement